• 21-30

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • 11-20

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1-10

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

petero

New
Reaction score
looking up various info I came across this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Assessment_of_Functioning

where do you feel you typically stand in this range?
I have enabled multiple responses to the poll.
so in addition to your typical range, also, what has been the lowest you've been in this range of criteria?
if you don't want to put the lowest you've been then please just indicate your typical range

The Global Assessment of Functioning (GAF) is a numeric scale (0 through 100) used by mental health clinicians and physicians to rate subjectively the social, occupational, and psychological functioning of adults, e.g., how well or adaptively one is meeting various problems-in-living. The scale is presented and described in the DSM-IV-TR on page 34. The score is often given as a range, as outlined below:

91 - 100 No symptoms. Superior functioning in a wide range of activities, life's problems never seem to get out of hand, is sought out by others because of his or her many positive qualities.

81 - 90 Absent or minimal symptoms (e.g., mild anxiety before an exam), good functioning in all areas, interested and involved in a wide range of activities, socially effective, generally satisfied with life, no more than everyday problems or concerns (e.g., an occasional argument with family members).

71 - 80 If symptoms are present, they are transient and expectable reactions to psychosocial stressors (e.g., difficulty concentrating after family argument); no more than slight impairment in social, occupational, or school functioning (e.g., temporarily falling behind in schoolwork).

61 - 70 Some mild symptoms (e.g., depressed mood and mild insomnia) OR some difficulty in social, occupational, or school functioning (e.g., occasional truancy, or theft within the household), but generally functioning pretty well, has some meaningful interpersonal relationships.

51 - 60 Moderate symptoms (e.g., flat affect and circumstantial speech, occasional panic attacks) OR moderate difficulty in social, occupational, or school functioning (e.g., few friends, conflicts with peers or co-workers).

41 - 50 Serious symptoms (e.g., suicidal ideation, severe obsessional rituals, frequent shoplifting) OR any serious impairment in social, occupational, or school functioning (e.g., no friends, unable to keep a job).

31 - 40 Some impairment in reality testing or communication (e.g., speech is at times illogical, obscure, or irrelevant) OR major impairment in several areas, such as work or school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood (e.g., depressed adult avoids friends, neglects family, and is unable to work; child frequently beats up younger children, is defiant at home, and is failing at school).

21 - 30 Behavior is considerably influenced by delusions or hallucinations OR serious impairment, in communication or judgment (e.g., sometimes incoherent, acts grossly inappropriately, suicidal preoccupation) OR inability to function in almost all areas (e.g., stays in bed all day, no job, home, or friends)

11 - 20 Some danger of hurting self or others (e.g., suicide attempts without clear expectation of death; frequently violent; manic excitement) OR occasionally fails to maintain minimal personal hygiene (e.g., smears feces) OR gross impairment in communication (e.g., largely incoherent or mute).

1 - 10 Persistent danger of severely hurting self or others (e.g., recurrent violence) OR persistent inability to maintain minimal personal hygiene OR serious suicidal act with clear expectation of death.

Last edited:
I think it would just be hard to say! I know my psychiatrist has never let me know my rating, but has told my insurance company (so obviously I've had a number placed on me at some point.. Weird to think of!) The polls don't give you who gives the response right? So that shouldn't be holding people back from answering. I could make a best guess at where I'm at right now, but you'd know it was my answer now ;)

:bump:
Maybe it's just an attention issue. You know how easily we become distracted by each new thread Peter. :)

I put 60-70. I get uncomfortable around people, and sometimes it's hard for me to relate to my co-workers, but I still have close friends, and I don't really have disagreements with people - at least not people I work with (and it's not often outside of the workplace either). Though sometimes I do get "panicky," but it's not often, and I don't generally have flat affect, but occasionally I do get that way. Something to maybe get more people to answer :D

I can pretty much mimic RunningGirl. 60-70. I have close friends, I don't have 900 friends on my Facebook lol. I don't have any disagreements or conflicts. I do just ok in social situations, and tend to get a little panicky after awhile. I enjoy a more quieter scene. Worry keeps me up some nights, which took some points away. But, for the most part I am light hearted and see the glass as half full and the good in situations and people.

Hi :). I'm new on here but not new to epilepsy. I gave myself a 61-70. I have good relationships and plenty of friends but am struggling with anxiety and irritability lately and having some issues keeping organized/planning in regard to work. Also terrible self-esteem. I attribute it partially to a med change. Great question!

Damn, I thought I'd be higher on the list but I'm somewhere between 41-60. I work two jobs, but have no meaningful interpersonal relationships outside of family, and exercise at frantic pace everyday to avoid insomnia and actions of self-destruction that occur from time to time. I've had disagreements in the workplace that have limited me and my ability to move forward. Now I don't speak to anyone at work unless I'm forced to.

It'd probably be a bit higher if a psych gave the test

Back
Top Bottom