How often does your neurologist want to see you?

How often does your neuro want to see you?

• every 1-3 months

Votes: 43 28.5%
  • every 4-6 months

Votes: 54 35.8%
  • every 7-12 months

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • every 12-18 months

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • doesn't see you regularly

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • Only when there's trouble or a specific reason

Votes: 13 8.6%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi dfw,

Already started looking. She forgot to call in an order to the lab for blood work so that was the last straw. ARGH (funny, the lab didn't even have to ask her name, they said they could guess!)

sadly enough but is no exception is the staff can drop the ball as well.

I have almost lost it many times at the pharmacy when they tell me, we need PRIOR AUTHORIZATION...

Like no, it takes days for me to get that. no just call your doctor, she sais, as my head dropped and i want to throw a fit on the floor. I tell her it is just not that easy, tearing up.

but to answer the question, it has been a year and a half since I have spoken to my Neuro. He sent me to the hospital for the veeg monitoring and they schedule it after my deductible had reset and I was diagnosed with pseudo seizures and never heard from the neuro ever ever again. that is weird, I was released to drive, taken off keppra, allowed to drink and have sex... havn't had the last one though. I did ask the person releasing me who is responsible if I have an auto accident. That seemed to raise some eyebrows.

Last edited:
every 7-12 months

It was every 4-6 but the hospitals here in Ireland are so f*cked up that they still say every six months to me but I get an appointment in 9 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now it's every 6 months at the most. It's just not enough, is it.. seeing the neurologist once or twice a year for 10 minutes each time.

Epilepsy is something that we all have to deal with every day, and the health care systems allot 20 minutes a year to us. Doesn't seem right.

I see my neurologist 1x a year and that is only to get my prescription refilled. I hate paying over $200 for his nurse to take my blood pressure and him to ask how I am feeling....the medicine is bad enough...I was lucky to get another 3 month suppply filled but when I picked it up, they said that doctor wanted to see me...so I am putting it off a bit. Why does it have to be so exspensive???? Ugg

Sad that I am the one who wants to make appointments to remind him again that my seizures keep changing and worsening

I had my first VEEG in March 2011, and saw him afterwords a few times during last year due to medication changes. But my last time I saw him was in August 2011, Im due to my next appointment in August of this year, 2012. So for now, its once every 12 months, that is if no problems come about. :)

I see him as often as I need him. My epilepsy seems to be under control but my neuro is also monitoring another much more serious disorder. Demyelinating Polyneuropathy . I see a Rheumatologist every 3-6 months, my pain management dr. every 30 days, my GP about every 3 months and I have blood draws and my B-12 shot monthly. My life pretty much consists of nothing but medical crap. :doctor:

1. Fired him
2. After 2 yrs she was denied by insurance - out of network
3. He left the insurance group
4. Referral snafus - appt on March 2

They were contacted yearly, unless there were issues that needed to be addressed. I did not call them after each and every seizure. We only need one now to sign-off so Rebecca can get her drivers license. Not sure a new patient/doctor relationship will take on this risk, though we are going to make the attempt.

I have'nt seen her in over 15 years. I've been seizure free untill reciently I've had some issues that were making me think I was having simple partials. Tried to make an appointment with her but was told I need to go throught my GP first to rule out any other conditions that could be causing my what I think are auras. Went to him yesterday. He was also stumped as to why she did'nt want to see me so. We started with blood work yesterday. That should come back normal since I just had it checked about 30 days ago. Then comes mri eeg then maybe she'll see me.

I'm a once-a-yearer, just to get my prescription renewed and talk about the weather. Actually I just got a letter he has retired. He's been my Dr. since 1981. He's recommended a dr. in his town who doesn't sound good to me even on paper. He sounds new, inexperienced, and he's native something else so I don't know if language will be an issue. I found someone in my own town, but I will have to get records to her this summer and see if I like her. I'm not happy about this.

I feel lucky compared to a lot off people on this site,and i do really feel for them,when my seizures were freuqent i was every six months but now they have settled down im once a year.

Last edited:
I used to wait until I had a certain amount of seizures or I couldn't pin point what was triggering the seizures before I would go see my local neurologist. So sometimes it would be maybe 6 - 12 months before I would go see the neurologist & I would often go in there with a couple of pages of auras or partial seizures that I'd had.

Since 2010 I have been going through an epilepsy clinic at the hospital where I had my surgery last March. Since the surgery I have been going to the clinic every 3 months to see one of their neurologists for 3 monthly reviews. I am due to go back in March for my 12 month review & after that I will just have to go to the clinic every 6 months.

The last time I saw my local neuro was May last year (2 months after I had my surgery) so he could see how I was going. The neuros at the epilepsy clinic I go to keep my local neuro & GP up to date with my progress.

Last edited:
It was every 6 months when I had to have him fill out the form for the DMV. But now that my case with the DMV is closed, he only wants to see me once a year. That seems weird because I think it's good to have a check-up twice a year, and I got used to it after 10 years.

he would like to see me only twice a yr because he's booked up a lot watever dude.but when i have to call u at least once a week thats not possible and have to have my vns checked oh god forbid he have to do something besides bring med students who stare why he drills me with questions we pretty much covered over the 100 phone calls we have had and it ends up being every 4 months and does he think i like driving 100 miles to see him.excuse me someone drivin me.

Kait had her first neuro appointment last week. He said he would see her again in 3 months. If all is going well at that appointment then he would see her again in 6 months. At the 6 month appointment if all was well he would increase it to 9months and then yearly. If we have issues with medications, seizures, or anything else we can always come in before any of those marks.

Every six weeks. But right now we're still trying to get everything figured out with my medications and stuff

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

It depends. With my old pediatric neurologist, he would only request a check up every year or so. He was in my hometown, so I could only visit him when I was home on breaks from school. It was a pain in the ass.

Nowadays, I'm seeing a new epileptologist who sees me every 2 weeks, but that's only because we're trying to get a new medication sorted out and she's been ordering a lot of tests lately.

When I wasn't 18, I'd see her twice a year.
After turning 18, I had to change my neurologist and now I see him once a year.

When he feels like it and I'm serious there is no regular pattern

Leanne xx
Always remember you are someone's reason to smile!! šŸ˜Š

Back
Top Bottom