If you've had an EEG, what was the result?

If you have had an EEG, what were the results?

• Normal

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • Abnormal

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Inconclusive

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I've had more than one EEG

Votes: 28 44.4%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
If you've had and EEG, what were the results? I'm curious how many EEGs actually result in an abnormal result, even when people are still diagnosed with epilepsy. I know out of two EEGs I've had, one was normal, one was abnormal. You can choose more than one option if you've had multiple EEGs.

Last edited:
I've had multiple EEGs and all of them have shown seizure activity even though my seizures are controlled.

Not sure what kind of spikes I had like alpha etc, but they said I had enough spikes to determine it was primary generalized seizures... I was fortunate enough to be diagnosed with one test! A lot go months without EEG detecting it.

Oh, sure. NOWWW you figure it out! Let me go delete that one,... :p

I have had normal EEGs as well as abnormal. During one normal EEG, it was concluded that I was having partial seizures.

Last edited:
Sorry Sper thanks for helping me build the poll since I'm not the most technical person in the world :)

I've never had a normal EEG and I've had multiple EEGs through out the decades.
I'm not controlled and have had spikes andIts also been 50 yrs for me.

Last EEG had tonic seizure right after EEG started. Neuro says I have well substantiated seizure disorder. Seems to be well controlled on meds. Only problem is I start to feel as though I do not have this problem. Dont know if I feel this way because they are controlled and so much I don't understand or is it just denial. Had seizures since I was 19. Now 53.

My son has some issues that he has had EEG 's all normal. Ran test on his heart came back normal. Put him on AED med based on my situation.

I had "immature" waveforms (waveforms that are supposed to disappear well before adulthood) as well as intermittent spikes in my tracings during sleep while having my VEEG. Interesting that they were present only at night, as that is when virtually all of my seizures occur. But because these waveforms and spikes were there even if I didn't have a seizure, they were felt to not be explanatory for seizures. (In your poll, I voted "normal").

I've had several EEG's over just this last year and all have been abnormal.

Jen that's strange--wouldn't those be considered the definition of 'subclinical seizures'? I've not heard of spikes being blown off as being a normal result just because you didnt have a seizure unless they were borderline spikes or super infrequent (but not that I know much about it :) )

Jen that's strange--wouldn't those be considered the definition of 'subclinical seizures'? I've not heard of spikes being blown off as being a normal result just because you didnt have a seizure unless they were borderline spikes or super infrequent (but not that I know much about it :) )

The subclinical seizure idea was my thought as well, and what my GP thought. But then we both also said "but what do we know" lol. It is possible they were borderline for spikes but they were relatively frequent during a particular phase of sleep for several of the nights I was having the testing. The letter from the VEEG neurologist (not my own) didn't specify the size of the spikes, however. I plan to ask my own epileptologist who will have those recordings when I see her in July.

I have had 3 EEGs that came up with no activity on them at all that is to say no seizure activity on them at all. but then again the only seizures I have are on my period. The last one I had which was about 6 weeks ago were off the charts and I did not notice a thing I am going in tomorrow to do get hooked up for a 24 hour ambulatory one tomorrow to see if the vimpat is working then I will go in again to the doctors office on Tuesday to get unhooked at least I get to be at home for that. He seems to think I am having partials that I do not recognize and seizures in my sleep.

Tina

I just finished my 3rd EEG this morning. The previous two were consistent in that they showed spikes which my doc said were indicative of something like JME. I'm interested to hear how this one went as I've been going to an acupuncturist who treats, among other things, neurological issues. I won't know if it had any impact until I speak with my doc, but I sure feel a lot calmer and generally better than I have in a couple of years.

Just thought I should add to mine, because I think it is relative to this thread; My doctor concluded that even though there was no sign via EEG that I was having seizures, he did conclude that I was having simple partial seizurs. That was thanks to the video. I should ask for the data. I paid for it....

I've had multiple EEGs. The first one was a week or so after the new onset of tonic-clonic seizures. I was on a large dose of Dilantin at the time, prescribed by the ER. My brain produced a "spike and dome" pattern which is characteristic of what can show up in between seizures in some kinds of epilepsy. Since then I've had several EEGs while medicated and/or tapering my dose -- some have come up normal, some abnormal, probably depending on the dose.

I've had multiple with only one normal and the rest being abnormal. I actually have a photograph of my last one.

I had an EEG that showed multiple Simple Partial Seizures from both sides of my brain. So that rules out surgery (so I was told).

I didn't have any tonic clonic seizures at that time.

I have also had the ambulatory EEG they wired my head with a cloth around it and put a battery pack on me. There was also a TV camera to watch me. That test showed nothing unusual. I was told that with that kind of test it's really not that uncommon for it to not show anything unusual. I guess that it's not as "powerful of something?

I've only had one and it was the day after Memorial Day this year. It came back abnormal. I haven't seen my neurologist since;my appointment with him is at the end of the month. I was placed on 500 mg of Keppra twice daily but may need it increased as I've still been having "episodes".

I've only had one EEG, but I had a tonic-clonic during it, so of course the reading was abnormal.

I've only had one and it was the day after Memorial Day this year. It came back abnormal. I haven't seen my neurologist since;my appointment with him is at the end of the month. I was placed on 500 mg of Keppra twice daily but may need it increased as I've still been having "episodes".

I think I was on 1000 mg of Keppra before results were good. I'm on 2000 2x/day now.

I've only had one EEG, but I had a tonic-clonic during it, so of course the reading was abnormal.

Sadly enough, a seizure during an EEG CAN be considered lucky. So many wait so long for the doctor to see what is going on. Ergh. Now I'm thinking of how much I hate EEGs.

I have also had the ambulatory EEG they wired my head with a cloth around it and put a battery pack on me. There was also a TV camera to watch me. That test showed nothing unusual. I was told that with that kind of test it's really not that uncommon for it to not show anything unusual. I guess that it's not as "powerful of something?

I was apparently having some "undetected" partials during an ambulatory EEG as well. At least, I think it was ambulatory...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom