Lamictal - how high a dose?

How high a dose of Lamictal or lamotrigene are you taking or have you taken?

• less than 100 mg/ day

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • 100 - 175 mg/ day

Votes: 16 14.7%
  • 200 - 275 mg/ day

Votes: 22 20.2%
  • 300 - 375 mg/ day

Votes: 18 16.5%
  • 400 - 475 mg/ day

Votes: 19 17.4%
  • 500 - 575 mg/ day

Votes: 11 10.1%
  • 600 mg/ day

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • over 600 mg/ day

Votes: 11 10.1%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

alivenwell,
Yes it is very wise to do your own research. Many, many things can conflict with meds. Even sunlight, after a few years of being on Lamictal I started to get pigmentation on my face. Nuero, practitioner, dermatologist all said it was from the sun. They gave me bleaching creams. Nothing worked. I did research on it, found out that paticular pigmintation actually had a name. Melasma, also known as the pregnancy mask. There are 3 ways to get it, being pregnant (I wasn't) too much sun and it's a side effect of Lamictal. I would've though at least my nuero would've known that, they didn't. So yes, research, research, research and don't take anything for granted. Having that condition became a total confidence buster, didn't have much to begin with. I found creams just for Melasma, didn't work, really expensive. I love DIY's (do it yourself) looked it up, lemon juice. Simple, cheap and easy. It has helped so much, it's lighten up about 90% in just a few weeks.

alivenwell,
Yes it is very wise to do your own research. Many, many things can conflict with meds. Even sunlight, after a few years of being on Lamictal I started to get pigmentation on my face. Nuero, practitioner, dermatologist all said it was from the sun. They gave me bleaching creams. Nothing worked. I did research on it, found out that paticular pigmintation actually had a name. Melasma, also known as the pregnancy mask. There are 3 ways to get it, being pregnant (I wasn't) too much sun and it's a side effect of Lamictal. I would've though at least my nuero would've known that, they didn't. So yes, research, research, research and don't take anything for granted. Having that condition became a total confidence buster, didn't have much to begin with. I found creams just for Melasma, didn't work, really expensive. I love DIY's (do it yourself) looked it up, lemon juice. Simple, cheap and easy. It has helped so much, it's lighten up about 90% in just a few weeks.
Lemon juice is pretty drying. Did you mix it with anything? I'm thinking about lemon juice/coconut oil for my sun spots. Did you apply just to spots or entire face?

I use concentrated lemon juice. For the darker spots I put the lemon juice on a q-tip and apply it, leave it on for about 15 min then wash, I do that every 3-4 days. For an all over, once every week or 2 I mix 4-5 drops in egg white, mix it up really good, use a cotton ball to apply it all over, let it drythen wash it off in the shower. Egg white sounds really weird, it's a secret dermatologist don't like to share. It's a natural 'face lift' the protien in the egg white is really good for your skin. I was skeptical and felt like an idiot when I first tried it (egg on my face) but it wound up being totally worth it!

I take six hundred mg daily. I started having more seizures a few months ago and my doctor said I was near the upper range of what he normally prescribed so has been supplementing with Keppra. I think the only side effect of the lamictal might be poor memory.

I take six hundred mg daily. I started having more seizures a few months ago and my doctor said I was near the upper range of what he normally prescribed so has been supplementing with Keppra. I think the only side effect of the lamictal might be poor memory.

So has the combination helped you?

A couple years ago I had been on lamictal for about 3-4 months, it actually increased the frequency of my seizures. My neurologist than added keppra to my regimen (1000 mg a day) plus my already 400mg a day of lamictal. Haven't had a seizure since. (2 years now) (knock on wood).

Last time I saw my neurologist back in June he actually talked about taking me off the lamictal, I guess he detected my hesitancy, and said it was totally up to me. He said we'd talk about it more at next appt, which will be in FEB.

Needless to say I am hesitant about changing the combination as it has worked so well. I need to talk to him more about it, I want to know his reasoning for wanting to stop the lamctal.

I think the lamictal was working relatively well until I started have more regular seizures a few months ago. I don't know what caused the latest seizures but the addition of Keppra hasn't stopped them although I can't know how many more I might have had with out it. The Keppra tends to make me moody and tired although I think this is subsiding. What I am concerned about is that he is ramping me up to 2000mg which I am afraid my increase the side effects. If what you are doing seems to work I would be reluctant to change, two years is great.

I'm on 500mg and still having partials I would like to increase up to 600 mg. I don't want to add a 2nd med.

İ indetstand that, İ am not sure if it was good for me but it seems to work for some.

Im on 600mg of kepra which is 100mg over the recomended dose in the uk but it was by mistake and it cured the problem so the neurologist lets me get away with it

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

I'm not going to vote in the poll because my situation is changing before my eyes. I actually started on Lamictal for its use as a mood stabilizer for my bipolar symptoms. I'm currently in an epilepsy monitoring unit and the nurse practitioner boosted my dosage of Lamictal to 250 mg/day. It's definitely made a notable difference in my seizures albeit the dose must be a bit low as I still have some seizures. I'm not sure what the next step will be, but I'm sure I'll find out at my follow up appointment in a few weeks.

I messed my lamactcal up big time was on 500mg a day along with other stuff unrelated to e but something not mess about with.
I discharged myself from hospital I was under 10 years ago with intention of transfer I did not due to other health issues I just could not face anymore hospitals so I googled my e see what to do that was lethal one cock up after another
I under nuro now really nice guy told me surprising amount of idiots like me.So trying cut it back 100mg a day which should been 50 twice daily I knocked off 100 at night.not wise.i then did as doc advised 50 night and morning and I felt awful so gone back to my way 100 knock off at night.
As for side effects over the years maybe weird mood swings but on the whole no side effects...The only odd thing I had eeg I had many over the years before I started lamatical and strobe lighting with eyes shut was nothing but bit of light this time however I saw strange colours not part of colour spectrum hard to explain they were nice and I felt like on acid trip,now wether that got anything to do with lamatical I don't know

On 100 mg twice daily. It was prescribed to be taken in the morning and at night but after several weeks of only 3 hours of sleep each night, I started taking both doses in the morning. Sleep has improved but I still have bouts of insomnia. Just not a huge problem.

I did not know it affected sleep.i have awful problems getting sleep

For me, a good workout in an air conditioned gym and a cpap breathing mask have really improved my sleep quality. If I work out hard enough earlier in the evening, I will get too tired to worry about anything.

My dose is now 500mg/day. We'll see how long the effects last. After a few days, the meds seem to stop working as well.

Doc says that anything above 500mg/day is dangerous as there is no research to indicate that a super high dose is safe.

Dr. told me it should have made me sleepy. But after several weeks of only 3-4 hours every day I went to them for relief. All I got was a prescription for melatonin, which is over the counter anyway. Second trip got me something like Benadryl which worked much better.

Now with a Clonazepam add on, I'm sleeping fine again.

I take cloberzam but I have tell you the effect don't last long after few weeks I was back to sleepl deprieved

So I'm still at 500mg/day of Lamictal, but so far still having seizures. It takes about 2.5 weeks before the dose increase will lose its efficacy. VNS candidate here I come!

I don't recall the exact dose, but it wasn't too high (Lamictil would have been the third AED I was taking). I had only been on it for a few days when I felt my back becoming itchy, & a rash starting beginning across the upper part. My neurologist had me stop taking it immediately. I knew something wasn't right because I was feeling like I had when I broke out in the reaction I had to Tegretol.

I going ask about the operation.i was on 500mg day but cut it down lamc dose I never know what dose is right for me.I know since cut down I getting very hot.i cut mine day 200mg doc thought to much so went back to higher dose that made me feel ill so cut it down to what I feel comfortable with even tho not docs orders
When first went on it years ago my e so much better but as you say it lost efficacy so thought what point taking it when it do this.My only worry if operation done and I get head aches all the time I won't cope and read many people on here who get head aches.I been plodding on 10 years no medical intervention and unaware about op for adults..I want stop all treatments but I doub it happen.i don't know if I be candidate.between devil and hard place.

Back
Top Bottom