• My Simple Partials are controlled

Votes: 23 17.7%
  • My Simple Partials are uncontrolled / poorly controlled

Votes: 52 40.0%
  • I've been declared intractable / refractory

Votes: 16 12.3%
  • I am undergoing alternative methods

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • I am on too many / too little medication(s)

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • I feel that the have Simple Partials isolate me

Votes: 22 16.9%
  • I feel that the Simple Partials have ruined my life

Votes: 14 10.8%
  • Simple Partials keep me restricted from things I would like to do

Votes: 41 31.5%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

brain

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
SIMPLE PARTIAL SEIZURES

This vote and comments section applies to those
who suffers from Complex Partial Seizures.

Here are some partial quotes:

SIMPLE PARTIAL SEIZURES - by eMED

All partial seizures are characterized by onset in a limited area, or focus, of one cerebral hemisphere. The International Classification of Epileptic Seizures (ICES) classifies simple partial seizures (SPS) as those that are not associated with any impairment of consciousness. Although the ability to respond may be preserved, motor manifestations or anxiety relating to the seizure symptoms may prevent a patient from responding appropriately. The level of consciousness may be difficult to determine during a partial seizure, especially in infants, cognitively impaired individuals, and aphasic patients. The lack of availability of trained persons to interact directly with the patient during and after the seizure can make distinctions between simple and complex partial seizures difficult, even with high-resolution video-EEG.

ICES defines an aura as "that portion of the seizure which occurs before consciousness is lost, and for which memory is retained afterwards." Auras without subsequent seizures should be considered a type of SPS.

Simple partial status epilepticus (SPSE) includes epilepsia partialis continua (ie, Kojewnikoff syndrome). Some researchers also have included periodic lateralized epileptiform discharges (PLEDs) and the spectrum of Landau-Kleffner syndromes as types of SPSE.

SIMPLE PARTIAL SEIZURES - Epilepsy Foundation

Simple Partial Seizures
'People who have simple partial seizures do not lose consciousness. However, movement, emotions, sensations, and feelings can be affected.'

People who have simple partial seizures do not lose consciousness during the seizure. However, some people, although fully aware of what's going on, find they can't speak or move until the seizure is over.

They remain awake and aware throughout. Sometimes they can talk quite normally to other people during the seizure. And they can usually remember exactly what happened to them while it was going on.

However, simple partial seizures can affect movement, emotion, sensations, and feelings in unusual and sometimes even frightening ways.

Movement: Uncontrolled movements can occur in just about any part of the body. Eyes may move from side to side; there may be blinking, unusual movements of the tongue, or twitching of the face.

Some simple partial seizures start out with shaking of a hand or foot which then spreads to involve an arm or a leg or even one whole side of the body.

Emotions:
A sudden feeling of fear or a sense that something terrible is about to happen may be caused by a simple partial seizure in the part of the brain which controls those emotions.

In rare cases, partial seizures can produce feelings of anger and rage, or even sudden joy and happiness.

Sensations:
All five senses -- touch, hearing, taste, smell, and sight -- are controlled by various areas of the brain.

Simple partial seizures in these areas can produce odd sensations such as a sense of a breeze on the skin; unusual hissing, buzzing or ringing sounds; voices that are not really there; unpleasant tastes; strange smells (also usually unpleasant); and, perhaps most upsetting of all, distortions in the way things look.

For example, a room may suddenly seem narrower, or wider, than it really is. Objects may seem to move closer or get farther away. Part of the body may appear to change in size or shape.

If the area of the brain involved with memory is affected, there may be disturbing visions of people and places from the past.

Sudden nausea or an odd, rising feeling in the stomach is quite common. Stomach pain also may, in some cases, be caused by simple partial seizures.

Episodes of sudden sweating, flushing, becoming pale, or having the sensation of gooseflesh are also possible.

Some people even report having out of body experiences during this type of seizure. Time may seem distorted as well.

In many ways, our usual, comfortable sense of familiar things and places may be disrupted by a simple partial seizure.

Well-known places may suddenly look unfamiliar. On the other hand, new places and events may seem familiar or as if they've happened before, a feeling called déjà vu.

Simple partial seizures can also produce sudden, uncontrolled bursts of laughter or crying.

SIMPLE PARTIAL SEIZURES - Epilepsy.com

Doctors often divide simple partial seizures into categories depending on the type of symptoms the person experiences:
Motor seizures:

These cause a change in muscle activity. For example, a person may have abnormal movements such as jerking of a finger or stiffening of part of the body. These movements may spread, either staying on one side of the body (opposite the affected area of the brain) or extending to both sides. Other examples are weakness, which can even affect speech, and coordinated actions such as laughter or automatic hand movements. The person may or may not be aware of these movements.
Sensory seizures:

These cause changes in any one of the senses. People with sensory seizures may smell or taste things that aren't there; hear clicking, ringing, or a person's voice when there is no actual sound; or feel a sensation of "pins and needles" or numbness. Seizures may even be painful for some patients. They may feel as if they are floating or spinning in space. They may have visual hallucinations, seeing things that aren't there (a spot of light, a scene with people). They also may experience illusions—distortions of true sensations. For instance, they may believe that a parked car is moving farther away, or that a person's voice is muffled when it's actually clear.
Autonomic seizures:

These cause changes in the part of the nervous system that automatically controls bodily functions. These common seizures may include strange or unpleasant sensations in the stomach, chest, or head; changes in the heart rate or breathing; sweating; or goose bumps.
Psychic seizures:

These seizures change how people think, feel, or experience things. They may have problems with memory, garbled speech, an inability to find the right word, or trouble understanding spoken or written language. They may suddenly feel emotions like fear, depression, or happiness with no outside reason. Some may feel as though they are outside their body or may have feelings of déja vu ("I've been through this before") or jamais vu ("This is new to me"— even though the setting is really familiar).

Feel free to bring about any discussion as
you wish, and you may click on the links above
to learn more in details.

The Poll is PRIVATE and you can vote as many
options as it applies to you.

Well, I have a question.
What is going on with the fact that my auras have changed? They used to be completely gut. Now, sometimes they're gut, sometimes they're visual, sometimes they're auditory, sometimes I smell ammonia, sometimes they're that blasted tingling.
When I was having the gut auras, they didn't go any further than the aura itself much of the time. With the new auras, I know for a fact when I have a visual, auditory, or olfactory aura, a complex partial is on its way.
I guess my question is: Does this strange mix of auras bode poorly for me? Is damage being done across all parts of my brain that I need to be concerned about?
I've talked this over with my husband, who does not want to see me go again to a neurologist because he remembers the years that I saw one and was on so many drug combinations that I was loopy much of the time.

WOW, I feel I am in school!!

Ok, so I don't forget anything:

#1: Can a timespan of about 5-10 min of eyelid twitching be such as described?

#2: Can a sensation of feeling "jumpy" in your legs be such?

#3: I remember after a CP and LONG post-ictal hearing, verified by my companion, the EMT said:" look ...does she always get these goosebumps" - another time - correction, he just said I had not goosebumps but a sudden hives-like rash that left almost as fast as it came??

#4: I get chills and hot flashes frequently - I'm 52 - still have ovaries - however now I wonder if these are what you are referring to??

#5: One time WAY BACK WHEN - around 1980 - a Psychiatrist told me my 2 nervous systems were crossed somehow, that in most people they work independantly, but in me, he said (back then) that the one affects the other due to being too close together??

Well, now, hmmm, I know less than I ever thought I knew when I thought I knew just a little!!

WAY back when, I would smell strong odors and then go into a CP or collapse to the ground (OUT) or have weird personality change. Or a sharp sound would trigger the same outcomes.

Strong perfumes, car exhaust, etc, would trigger CP.

In conclusion, I am stunned and realize the brain is a VERY complex organ and the BODY/BRAIN connection is very fragile.

Thanks for listening to the stunned rambler,
GL

When I get Simple Partials, they only affect me
on one side of my body. I am ALERT during this
whole thing (the other seizure that I'm alert is
the Atonic (aka Drop Attack) - and a poll will be
coming up on that one shortly).

• my head lurches forward
  • my hand or foot or sometimes both together will begin to jerk and shake
  • then immediately it zooms up to my whole one side of my body (usually the right side more than the left side) all the way up to my head and its over, the muscles do seize during that moment - which can last 3-5 seconds.
  • it causes me to fall (if I am standing) or loose balance (if I'm seated)
  • it feels like a *zap* of electrical current that just zoomed from my brain and rushed back to my head - like electricity, you can actually feel it!
  • it leaves me stunned, in a daze, like "Whoa! Mama!" expression - *laughing*
  • it takes me awhile to be able to walk, as I stagger, I do get a headache from it, and have the need to sleep it off
  • I do get injured from this sometimes
  • I may or may not get an aura before these Simple Partials
  • OF NOTE: in the past, historically, I rarely ever had very many of these but since the past 10+ years they've been on the rise

Last edited:
My simple partials have been visual only up until the last two I had. I got the sick to my stomach feeling with them and actually threw up on the last one. I am one of those people that very rarely throw up...I think it's been 10-15 years since the last time I vomited. Just when you think you have a handle on it....

I had some at church the other day,and was happy the lights were turned off, I took my meds but did not eat anything.

The term simple partial encompasses such a range of events. Quite a few years ago, I had a couple instances of odd visual distortions. I also had and continue to often have the burning smells (that can be very strong and sometimes last for hours), and just recently had the simple partials that start with one limb shaking and then that uncontrolled movement spreading down the left side of my body.

I know the word "simple partial" is a label-but it covers so many different events. When people here refer to having simple partials, I am never sure which kind they mean In general, do you use this term to mean one kind more than another?

:hello: Ness, if you read the very first
post ---> it has the information there
plus links for further information in more
depth if you so desire to go into more
reading and research. But what is posted
there is just a basic generalization in
perspective...

Moreover, keep in mind, there are events
or episodes that falls into the specific classification
which is not so disclosed, but if one goes into
Neuroscience research - the chances are you
will find much more even to a greater degree
into the core and depth.

However, keep in mind that Neuroscience is
ever-changing as the progression is moving
forward and new findings surfaces; and some-
times even causes "what we thought was..."
to be eliminated and moved elsewhere or
to be combined or united with something else;
or they've found that this and that are actually
related to each other and not separate events
as originally had perceived. Neuroscience is really
an interesting field of study considering the brain
is an amazing marvel!

Hi,
Thanks for the response and all the neuroscience info-love all that. I reread the first post but still am a little confused. I was wondering if when people voted in the poll, the part about "simple partials are controlled" if for most people in this forum they were talking about a combination of motor/emotion/sensory types. For me, having the motor and visual parts controlled is most important for me as the olfactory part is not controlled but is not a concern since it is unpleasant but does not keep me from doing what I want/need to do/or signal that more is about to happen.
When people in general use the words "simple partial" I understand from the first post what the range is but am curious if when people in this forum use the words "simple partial" if they are referring to all three kinds: the movement/emotion/sensation kind? I am new to this and may not be asking the question correctly. From the posts in general in the forum (not just in this thread), it seems like most people here mean the movement kind of partial seizures.
I have a feeling I need to search to see if there has been a poll on what kind of partial seizures people here have experienced.
This is getting really long-I do appreciate your guidance

confused and unsure

:dontknow:If I remember it all but it look like a tonic or tonic-clonic is it still a simple partial because of my memory? and what about nocturnal when I "think" i had a seizure but am not sure because I went straight to sleep should I still document the uncertain ones?:dontknow:

I am not sure about the tonics, I have only had simple and complex partials. I would keep track of the nighttime ones that you think. note if you are sore or hurt yourself, or what you remember afterwards.

Until recently I never thought they were seizures. I have had the ones where the feeling of fear kicks in. Or the "what is happening to me" feeling. They come on exrtemly fast. They only last 30 seconds at most and I never lose consciousness. And they never lead to a partial complex seizure. I guess the partial complex seizures I have had started in a different part of the brain than the "auras" or simple partial seizures. I have never had a warning to the partial complex seizures I had.

:dontknow:If I remember it all but it look like a tonic or tonic-clonic is it still a simple partial because of my memory? and what about nocturnal when I "think" i had a seizure but am not sure because I went straight to sleep should I still document the uncertain ones?:dontknow:

:dontknow:

Don't ask me, I've fallen asleep on a couple of
folks because I've seized, and as for my memory.
Yup - that's been shot too, having absolutely no
memory whatsoever, although the other party
has had a field day until the explanation of what
had happened.

:oops:

Some being funny and some were like Steve Urkel
saying, "Did I do thaaaaaaaaat?" - one thing is for
sure is - it is dire frustrating having no knowledge
of the event or anything, as I've posted many times
repetitiously; everything has become a "blank".

I try really hard to remember, but it's so difficult;
because my brain can only remember up to a point
and anything after that is gone. Whatever happened,
said, did, done, or what-not - is completely erased.

Sometimes I feel like crying because I don't remember
and it's out of frustration, pushing my head to remem-
ber - and in my brain, it's like it never happened. Just
like the Web-Cam monitoring when the seizures were
captured. I have no knowledge of any of such event
at all - absolutely none, but when I watch it closely,
it is (Epilepsy) amazing.

I find myself asking - how can someone go through it
all and be totally unaware?

Has anyone ever thought of that?

:ponder:

The simple partitial siezures I have start with an aura sometimes, but mostlty the drop siezures is the way they start . That can get rough at times. But during the siezure I get the feelin of falling backwards but I'm actually lying still, or feeling like I'm gonna' roll off the bed and again still lying still.
I lose controll mostly of my right arm but that leads into loss of control of other body limbs. left leg,right leg,left arm, no particular order.
I have fallen asleep an woke up wandring why I'm hurt and what happened.Then I quit guessing, I know it was a Siezure.
To me simple partials cover alot of symptoms and I'm getting better about talking to my Dr. due to these threads on "CPE" .

Duke

I'm sorry I always thought that a simple partial was an aura...maybe i've been mixing up my terminology? i'm just going by what i understand from here. My neurologist just says seizure for everything, and calls an absence a "time loss seizure" He's confusing at best sometimes.

So what I experiance is a burning smell, or metallic taste, or my ears ring before I have a tonic, I always called that my aura, but is a simple partial different? like you get the burning smell (aura) before your leg twitches (simple partial?) and then that can generalize into a tonic....

I'm sorry I always thought that a simple partial was an aura...maybe i've been mixing up my terminology? i'm just going by what i understand from here. My neurologist just says seizure for everything, and calls an absence a "time loss seizure" He's confusing at best sometimes.

So what I experiance is a burning smell, or metallic taste, or my ears ring before I have a tonic, I always called that my aura, but is a simple partial different? like you get the burning smell (aura) before your leg twitches (simple partial?) and then that can generalize into a tonic....

A simple partial is also called an aura. Simple partial/aura can vary, my are all visual...but what you are describing is very common simple/aura signs

Whoa... this is the first time i've read this. I was struggling to find out exactly what sort of seizures i have apart from the two tcs when i was awake and the suspected night time grand mals, but i think all of the above in the quotes applies to me.

I get strong smells of garlic (good thing i like it), distortion of surroundings - anyone ever played guitar hero and got "guitar hero vision"? Sort of like that.

Also, the floaty feelings, nausea, feelings of fear (or in my case, extreme embarrassment/guilt), sudden sweats/hot flushes. Everything thats on that list apart from maybe a couple of things.

This is kind of like a slap in the face and a "duh!" I often get muscle twitches or my hand will just drop whatever i'm holding, and i've thrown stuff at people before, involuntarily - although sometimes i think that could be a great excuse lol.

I've got to get my mum to have a look at this...

Whoa... this is the first time i've read this. I was struggling to find out exactly what sort of seizures i have apart from the two tcs when i was awake and the suspected night time grand mals, but i think all of the above in the quotes applies to me.

I get strong smells of garlic (good thing i like it), distortion of surroundings - anyone ever played guitar hero and got "guitar hero vision"? Sort of like that.

I've got to get my mum to have a look at this...

Loopy...I tell people my visual aura reminds me of when they do dream sequence on tv...where the edge of the picture is wavy and distorted...sounds very similar to your experience.

Back
Top Bottom