SPD and Seizures

Do you think Sensory Processing Disorder can cause Seizures?

• yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No/ Do not have enough info

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Aaleayha

New
Reaction score
Sensory Processing disorder and seizures
~ Aaleayha Englese​

I am currently researching the effects of Sensory Processing Disorder (APD) and the effects of bone spurs that have grown into the spinal cord. I have a theory that could prove useful. When the bone spurs grow and fuse, causing stenosis of the foramina, it of course will cause trauma to the nerves. The signals that are sent back up to the brain gather and they don't get sent out like they would in a normal functioning nervous system. Therefor, I believe, that extensive bone spurs can not only cause Sensory Processing Disorder but can also even lead to seizures.

I first researched the stimming trait of autism. I noted that even though the highest percentage of APD children are indeed in the spectrum, there are those who do not have autism. I then did a bit more digging and found that APD is actually just over worked nerves that have become ultra sensitive or under sensitive to the five senses the human body has. As with autism, those that have Sensory Processing Disorder, use stimming as a way of releasing frustration and anger when their senses get over stimulated. They use it as one would use a thermostat to regulate the air temperature. They don't often realize that they are in fact stimming. Most common would be hitting of the head, clapping or flapping of the arms. Though technically, tapping your pencil, nail biting and bouncing the knee can also be considered a type of self-stimulation. In some opinions, they think the movements of stimming produces endorphins which causes the person to feel pleasure or peace.

Now when I tried to find a cause for this wave of signals that causes sensory overload, I couldn't find a definitive answer. So my simple conclusion is that the scientist believe it to either be a malfunction in the brain itself or it could be something along the spinal cord interfering with the cord's ability to send and receive messages to the brain. If so, cancerous tumors, benign tumors and even spinal osteophytes could cause this spinal malfunction. The pressure from the blockage on the spinal cord would interfere with nerve messages to and from the brain. It would either grow until it finally slipped through, causing the brain to overload on what the original feeling was. Or the nerve message could die and the feeling that is suppose to be felt, never gets felt.

Now, if one were to believe that theory true and that osteophytes could cause sensory overload then one could also assume that it could lead to seizures. As with sensory overload, seizures and migraines tend to work the same way. When the firing of the electrodes from the neural receptors go haywire, the person in question would start to seize or a migraine would occur. Now, not just your typical Gran Mal but your average partial seizure or absence seizures as well. Now, when these signals that are overloading the brain interfere with the neural receptors in the brain, then one can guess that it is very likely one could seize due to the overloaded nervous system.

I of course am still looking up on the matter and will add more when I find out more information. Keep in mind this is just a speculative paper and not one lab research and medical studies. Maybe in time, people will recognize this theory and look for preventive ways for the nerves or neural receptors to be overloaded. But for now, it's just something to think about.

Last edited:
Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Do you find it interesting or at least a good idea?

I know they have done some research on it, Lyrica is a form of nerve blocker. But what they need to find out is what can they do to stop it from firing off in the first place. :)

Back
Top Bottom