• I take Quetiapine only

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I take a combination of Tegretol and Clonazepam

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I take a combination of Tegretol, Clonazepam and Quetiapine

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Nakamova

Super Moderator / Thank You Queen
Reaction score
Use of Tegretol, Clonazepam, and Quetiapine

Thank you for replying to poll- this means a lot to me as I'm feeling (rightly of wrongly) the odd one out. Please keep posting as I (and others) will find the results interesting!
Nick :)

I've been on Tegretol since 2002 which I took by itself until 2004 when my Neurolgist added another AED. At the moment I am on Tegretol & Keppra.
I recently had my Tegretol reduced & hopefully if my seizures stay under control will eventually be of Tegretol & only be on Keppra.

Use of Tegretol, Clonazepam, and Quetiapine

I am only familiar with Anti Epilepsy Meds by their brand name & not their Generic name lol.
I have a print out of what alot of the Generic names for AEDs are so know what Clonazepams other name is but don't know what Quetiapine is lol.

Last edited:
Quetiapine is Seroquel (I take 100mg at night and SeroquelXL 400mg at night
:)

Im on 800mgs off Tegratol,plus 2000mgs of Epilim a day.

Hi Quetiapine is used for mania - it is an anti psychotic so I suppose it does not belong to the class of Epilepsy drugs. It is also used to treat depression.

Clonazepam is often used in place of Diazepam.

Nich,
I would be intrested to know the diffirences between Clonazepam and Diazapam? Ill look them up later but wouldnt mind hearing from a personal level.
I do know,well my doc told me diazapam can stay in the system for up to 36 hours,cheers.

I've been on Tegretol for what seems like forever. My dose was just increased from 800mg per day to 1200.

Hi Neil,
GP tells me the medical profession prefers patients not to be on Diazepam for too long (they have specific guidelines regarding the use of Diazepam) so they look for alternatives... Clonazepam is part of the benzodiazepine family so the next in line to Diazepam.

I have read of people being on Diazepam for long periods, why that is I do not know.

Cheers Nich,
I assume its less addictive,and probaly an easier taper to come off.Personaly i have never heard it mentioned by my doc,perhaps something to run by him next time.Thank you for your reply.

I did not answer your poll since Rebecca is no longer on meds, but Tegretol was the first pharmaceutical that was tried on her. It caused such vision issues for her, I finally told the neurologist it was not acceptable any more.

Since we were so new to this I do not remember the doctor making any recommendations as to how to come off of it safely and carefully. I soon learned from my friends, and research.

I lied... I didn't know Klonopin was used for seizures? I take it for anxiety issues.... Tegretol and Clonazepam is what I am on (but the Klonopin isn't for seizures).

Clonazepam[1] is a benzodiazepine drug having anxiolytic, anticonvulsant, muscle relaxant, and hypnotic properties.[2] It is marketed by Roche under the trade name Klonopin in the United States

Man the stuff I am learning here... wow!

It states on my info sheet in the packet that Clonazepam is used for epilepsy
:)

Back
Top Bottom