To Wear or Not to Wear~Medical Bracelets

Do you wear a Medical Bracelet/ID?

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Welcolme RiffRaffMama - What a cool name! I "like" to believe the EM's, doctors will assume that I'm having a seizure. Period. My ID card in my wallet, for now, is the only "conrete" way for them to determine that I'm seizuring and not from substance abuse.

After seizuring, you have a post-ictal state, you're very fague and foggy (you know). Last time my partner was with me at home and he was able to explain. I remember being aware of EM's staring down at me. I like to believe that, if alone, I could have pointed to my bag before they load me up on the gurney and at least manage to verbally get out "wallet" where my doctors and medications are listed, also emergency contact.

I had ordered a beautiful bracelet, one which I might have bought a Macy's. Tiffany's would be stretching it too far! But I had a terrible allergic reaction to it. Doctors can be "off the mark" in my opinion. You'd be lucky to have a beautiful bracelet which would'nt cause you to break out. I've read that a bracelet, is the biggest tip, necklace the second, so I imagine an ankle bracelet would be the least to be noticable. I LOVE ankle bracelets!

But, then again, alot of people don't want to wear anything that could point to a stigma. We at CWE try to promote awareness but are very aware, sensitve and helpful to the obvious fears we have (also lots of education!) I have no problems promoting because after all, these are not the days where we'd be burned at the stake for being witches. I've bought two tank tops, here, and wear when walking to the sound nearby. I can't drive yet.

Here, is something funny...I passed my old watering hole...Vodka Tonics, Vodka Tonics...
They had a sign right outside the bar reading "Epilepsy Awareness". Can you visualize a bunch of drunks seizuring off their bar stools?! Don't know what they were thinking?

Always Laurie (Glad you're here!)

Last edited:
I comeout of my sz's really fasy usually ;so I can usually tell them what they need to know.
WHen my sz's start back getting bad I wear my helmet.

Belinda

I don't know if this has already been discussed but a friend of my daughter's recently bought her diabetic child a shoe medical alert tag like this one:
ShoeTagTopView.jpg

I thought it was a great idea for kids (or adults without a large shoe collection). I like the fact that it can't get lost. However, if the paramedics need it they will cut your shoe lace to get it. So you may want to have an extra pair of shoe laces on hand. At least it's one more option for those with allergies.

Lucky...

I comeout of my sz's really fasy usually ;so I can usually tell them what they need to know.
WHen my sz's start back getting bad I wear my helmet.

Belinda
That your seizures come and go so quickly is the next best thing to not having one and you're so wise to wear that helmet. You're on my friendship list. We should talk more often! Always - Laurie

I'm still struggling with my seizure diagnosis and only have told a few people. I have debated gettting a medic alert but it concerns me that someone might ask what I have on.

It was a time for me to get to this kind of thinking...but I know,at this point, I'd have no problem saying I have Epilepsy...and don't worry it's not contagious! Always - Laurie

With my seizures gradually getting stronger and mutating into what appears to be more then absences and with my neuro telling me to expect t/c's, I have decided to invest in a pair of medical shoe id tags. Which I will wear on my safety shoes at work permanently, as the people in my workplace do not know about my E, I think the shoes are a discrete but visible place to add the tags. I found a company online and placed the order a few minutes ago, I think they actually look quite trendy.

I found an anklet bracelet...it is done with crosses (my favorite) and is very discrete looking. I just ordered it online and am looking forward to getting it.

I've been wearing my medic alert bracelet for years (25+), long before I developed epilepsy. I think I've only been asked about it 5 or 6 times. I wouldn't worry too much about questions think of it as an opporitunity to help create awareness!

personly for me best option is to carry a card in my purse cuz thats probly only thing that would hold all my info lol. 2nd a braclet of necklace to to other issues would be to heavy on me 3rdly i was told cuz of metal plate in my wrist i need to be carful around metals, micro's and magnets. so card in purse it is.

Well, its an old drug, taken off the market and put back on . I'm getting off of it. I feel sick.

I got an anklet...it's really pretty, but since it has been so cold, it has gotten snagged on my socks and broke the clasp 3 times. I am only going to wear it when the weather is warmer.
A friend of mine is a cop and had told me a few years ago to put an "ICE" phone number in my phone. ICE is in case of emergency. He said that cops, paramedics, etc will check a person's cell phone for ICE number is there is an emergency

I've been taken to ER a zillion times and in post-ictal not one time did the EMT's look at my tag on my necklace - only either administered emergency care or saw my flickering eyes and tracing eyes and said I was faking and it was psych - I take NO psych meds. They never checked inside my purse where I have my med list. I come from an assisted living facility and I reckon they did not even check those meds or did not know what they were for!?!?!

BUT, I still carry my info and wear my necklace.

I've even finally gotten able to slurr words and said "POST-ICTAL" and the EMTs said I was saying gibberish.

That's all for me on this - Gail

Last edited:
I am not an "EPILEPTIC"

I am a "ME"

"ME" has health issues, one of which happens to be epilepsy.

Guess what????

I walked today all the way up to the dining room and back without my motorized wheelchair!!!

Joey, I wanted a tatoo of 2 tiny blue butteflies once, or something beautiful but tiny. You must be able to stand a LOT of pain to have so many. I figure to each his/her own. As long as you and your loved one likes them - that's your business!!

I got soooooooooo po'd at our med staff here. It's the first of the month when the new meds come in. No problem yesterday morning, got all my meds, mostly seizure meds. Lunch - no prob. Last night - the med. tech says my evening doses had not come in yet. OK. Well last night I had an aura and went to bed, slept horrible, etc. Come to find out today, the meds for last night not only WERE there but were punched out (bingo cards) for that dosage for ALL of my meds!!! Where did they go??? I did not get them!!

Plus, the phone had problems that took from Saturday til 8 a.m. today to 1 p.m. today to fix.

Ya'll gave me the boldness to go to the store last night alone and even come home in the dark alone (Carey met me 1/2 way back). I figure, now, if I have a seizure in public, I'll wake up in the ER as per usual, so what does it matter.

My son still does not get it - the memory problem - I hung up on him rather than continue to listen to his tirade.

Don't know if this all fits here but, I'm all done now......sorry for rambling

I didn't ware one for a long time thinking that it was only appropriate to use one if you had heart conditions or diabetes. Well I found out after being smacked across the face that using a medic alert or medical id would be helpful. Having complex partial seizures, hearing loss and blindness make it sort of difficult for someone to tell what's going on when you suddenly become unresponsive, unaware and begin having a seizure. I have worn mine since I was 16, now 26. I don't know how many people have looked at it- but knowing that its there with vital information is nice. I use Medic Alert Co and they have a file with contacts, meds/dosages, conditions, my guide dog's info (in case we are separated), things to consider before x-rays (PDA heart repair) and my family's contact information so that I'm never alone.
I think its important to have one in any case where you are unconscious oe unable to speak/communicate what's wrong. Espcially for a young child- they may not fully understand their medical condition and they might be in school or other settings where other may not understand their condition or may not knows whats going on. Most people don't understand about complex partial seizures since those don't look like grand-mal seizures..

Anyways- please consider it. IM me with any questions. I have ordered medical IDs from just about everyone place online- I finally found the one I like the most! LOL I have a collection now hehehehe.

Please take care and be safe.
Good luck with everything.

I am not an "EPILEPTIC"

I am a "ME"

"ME" has health issues, one of which happens to be epilepsy.

Guess what????

I walked today all the way up to the dining room and back without my motorized wheelchair!!!

Joey, I wanted a tatoo of 2 tiny blue butteflies once, or something beautiful but tiny. You must be able to stand a LOT of pain to have so many. I figure to each his/her own. As long as you and your loved one likes them - that's your business!!

I got soooooooooo po'd at our med staff here. It's the first of the month when the new meds come in. No problem yesterday morning, got all my meds, mostly seizure meds. Lunch - no prob. Last night - the med. tech says my evening doses had not come in yet. OK. Well last night I had an aura and went to bed, slept horrible, etc. Come to find out today, the meds for last night not only WERE there but were punched out (bingo cards) for that dosage for ALL of my meds!!! Where did they go??? I did not get them!!

Plus, the phone had problems that took from Saturday til 8 a.m. today to 1 p.m. today to fix.

Ya'll gave me the boldness to go to the store last night alone and even come home in the dark alone (Carey met me 1/2 way back). I figure, now, if I have a seizure in public, I'll wake up in the ER as per usual, so what does it matter.

My son still does not get it - the memory problem - I hung up on him rather than continue to listen to his tirade.

Don't know if this all fits here but, I'm all done now......sorry for rambling

i remember one day waking up in the E.R. and everyone asking me if i was ok, I had just been in car accident an there was a cussion thingy around my neck and all i asked was "is my car ok" they told me it was totaled and i was screaming and crying "noooo not my car i just bought it" the doctors were talking to eachother and all they were saying is "it looks like he cares more about his car then anything else" and at the time they were right. the moral of this story is unknown so thanks for reading! oh on more thing, if you have epilepsy then your an epileptic. i did not want to believe it eather but thats just the way the cookie crumbles lol

Back
Top Bottom