What factors help you with seizure control?

What factors have helped you attain (at least some) seizure control?

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I just had sinus surgery, and I'm supposed to keep my sinuses clear as much as possible.
I'm on Zyrtec now (dr. recommended).
Should I switch to Claritin?

I don't know what effect Zyrtec has on seizure threshold. We're in the habit of checking with our neurologist any time another doctor prescribes or recommends a med, especially with things like antihistamines or decongestants, as some of these aren't good for folks with epilepsy.

Keeping sinuses clear is crucial -- our Jonathan ended up in ICU for 4 days back in 2011 when a sinus infection triggered 36 tonic-clonic seizures in one weekend. I'd taken him to the doc twice in the previous week to have his sinus infection treated, and the idiot pediatrician kept telling me it wasn't a sinus infection.

Keeping sinuses clear is crucial -- our Jonathan ended up in ICU for 4 days back in 2011 when a sinus infection triggered 36 tonic-clonic seizures in one weekend. I'd taken him to the doc twice in the previous week to have his sinus infection treated, and the idiot pediatrician kept telling me it wasn't a sinus infection.

A sinus infection can put me in the hospital very quickly. Where I live, we have poor air quality for everyone. Do not move to the Central Valley of CA. The smog is real bad. I have to stay indoors and wait for rain or a breeze or something to change it. We have an electronic air cleaner and several Ionic Pro's around the house so we can breathe.

Good thoughts, Ruth. Even if you live in an area where the air quality is usually pristine, the pollen in the Spring can be hard on sinuses (that's when Jon had his problem). Air purifiers are a great idea for anyone with epilepsy. We use one in Jon's room, and one in the living room.

Karen. I'm sorry to hear about your son.

Sinus infections set my seizures off big time. I try to use a Neti pot at least a couple times a week and if I think a problem is coming on I will use it as often as 6 times a day.

Last year during a bad sinus infection I was having simple partials around the clock. I didn't know they were seizures at the time. I was just DX'ed this October. I have a sinus infection right now but haven't had any partial seizures that I am sure of. I guess the Lamictial is working :)

Even if you live in an area where the air quality is usually pristine, the pollen in the Spring can be hard on sinuses (that's when Jon had his problem). Air purifiers are a great idea for anyone with epilepsy. We use one in Jon's room, and one in the living room.

You can get an electronic air cleaner that goes throughout the whole house. It goes on with the heater and the air conditioner. Check at Home Depot, Lowes or another store.

Every time we move, we buy one for the house. It works great along with the other air purifiers.

Other...

I selected other on the poll because I've started using aroma therapy to get a handle on my seizures. It was difficult for me to travel and I was having a tough time readjusting to my schedule at school.

My aunt who is an aroma therapist gave me a bottle of Frankincense. When I feel my auras getting worse or when I have symptoms that indicate an oncoming seizure, I take a deep breath of Frankincense.

I'm not sure what it is about the scent, but it brings me back to a normal state. I've thought about asking my doctor what he thinks, but he barely listens to me and I'm not sure he would care to answer.

AED therapy, discovering and avoiding all food allergens and sensitivities (like Karen said, gut health was hugely important for me), avoidance of all food additives like glutamate that are excitoxins, and very importantly, vitamins D, magnesium, B complex and a high potassium diet. I clicked 'other' because I think vitamin, mineral and amino acid therapy should be on the list too :)

lots of sleep.
I didn't realize it made that much of a difference, but as soon as I started doing exercises for sleep apnea, I began to sleep better. I am more alert and seizure free.

Used a single medication (Depakote) with success but unwanted side effects. Went off meds in 2012 to preserve safety and mental sanity. Diagnosed with asthma in 2011 and was seizure free when I came up w/ an exercise routine that increased my lung capacity and got me to sleep regularly. That worked up until Nov. 2013.

Since then I've been cutting out the junk food, but still having seizures. Had a grand mal that lasted 15 minutes two hours before my first day of sales training at my new job. Now everyone knows and project negative energy about it anytime they can.

Definitely looking into some kind of therapy because I got no kind of healthy support system & it definitely doesn't make it easier to deal with

I'm on two drugs (Pheno + Depacote) Trying to step back gradually.
Sleep is the biggest thing for me since my seizures are nocturnal.
No booze, no caffeine, very low carb keto diet.
Keep consistent sleep hours. Try to de-stress through meditation.
Supplementing with transdermal magnesium and moringa tree powder.

I would love to try neurofeedback if there were any where I live.

Hey Mr.21T

Could you please tell me about your exercises for increasing lung capacity. I'm interested in that.

Hey Mr.21T

Could you please tell me about your exercises for increasing lung capacity. I'm interested in that.

Just about any aerobic exercise will help along with upper body exercise will help. If you have access to a gym with strength training machines, they are probably the easiest especially for a beginner.

Two years ago on New Year's Eve I was told by my primary care doctor that my tests showed I had moderate to severe COPD. I saw to a lung doctor after that and asked him if I lost 20 pounds if that would help. He said it would. I decided to loose 30 pounds and am now down to my goal weight of 120 pounds. I'm 5'4". I also started using the weight machines at the gym in addition to the treadmill. I used to hate stairs as I would be out of breath after 2 flights. I now set the timer when I'm at work and go up and down 3 flights of steps twice. I repeat that as often as business allows.

I see the lung doctor once a year. When I saw him in December, he decreased all my meds by half and changed his opinion about the severity of my COPD. He now says it is mild COPD. :)

Medications (trying to get to monotherapy) and the right schedule, decent sleep when I can get it, VNS (has really helped despite some side affects) and as low stress environment as I can get. Faith/Spirituality has helped also, in many ways, on the trigger side of things.

Hi SayThatAgain,

Have you thought of trying NeuroFeedBack or diet? what side effects are you getting from your VNS?

Making sure I sleep enough, I take a bit of a med cocktail and exercise seems to help.
I really have to make sure I keep an eye on my depression and stress because that is a major trigger for me.

Please, Belinda, choose a new avatar. I like to read your messages, but the flashing rose drives me crazy. Thank you for listening.

Back
Top Bottom