What other conditions do you have?

Do you have any of these in addition to epilepsy?

• Asperger's/HFA/Autism/ASD

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Anxiety/phobias/GAD/panic disorder

Votes: 19 39.6%
  • ADHD/ADD

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Tourette's Syndrome/Tic disorder

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • Dyslexia/dyspraxia/dysgraphia/dyscalculia

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • OCD

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Bipolar/psychosis/schizophrenia/schizoaffective

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Intellectual/learning difficulty

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Congenital/genetic syndrome or disorder

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Other

Votes: 26 54.2%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I have what is known as "the human condition" and I think you all have it too! :hugs:

I started with Asthma, moved up to Essential tremors, which worked up to Epilepsy, and then I had a traumatic brain injury, have fused neck at C-6 to C-7, lost most of the vision in my right eye, undiagnosed and untreated PTSD, broke a wrist and shoulder, broke parts of my face, permanent brain damage, real fun stuff.

I started with epilepsy. Then came along Diabetes Type 2. Later on came Alzheimer's. I tested positive for it.

I didn't test positive for Parkinson's because there is no test. However, I started having the shakes real bad. I walked into my doctor's office and he said, "You have Parkinson's Disease." Then he put me on medicine for it.

Oh Ruth, I am so sorry to hear about the Parkinson's. You are such an inspiration for me.

Ruth -- What I MEAN is that I knew about your other problems, but I did not know about the Parkinson's which is the reason I am mentioning it especially. It is still true that you are such an inspiration for me!

Bidwell, thank you for the compliment. I am just trying to support everyone. Other's here at CWE have more health problems than I do.

This is a very interesting thread because it really does seem like the CWE population has more than "their share" of non-E health problems as well. i wish there were a way to verify this statistically.

I wonder how much of this is congenital co-morbidity and how much has a causal relationship. For example long term use of meds can cause malabsorption of nutrients and other side effects. Also if one is emotionally stressed out about having seizures this might lead to other health issues via lack of sleep, over( or under)eating, self medicating with alcohol, sleep aids, etc., not getting enough exercise due to concern about hurting oneself, etc.

Hmm. Chickens and eggs.

Mostly I have epilepsy and the usual side effect of phenobarbital - drowsiness and sleep more than others. But I do wonder about that chicken and egg question. I think I have OCD which is in the form of picking at my cuticles. It's a totally unconscious act. I've fought it with knitting - when I knit I can't do this. So if I'm going somewhere that I will be sitting, I try to take knitting (socks are small, take little space in a bag, and are non-intrusive to others' space). But during those times when I'm doing something, say watching a tv show that I can't knit and watch at the same time, I will pick my "cuticles" clear down to my knuckles on my thumbs. Habit over many many years. Anyway, I've wondered if this relates to the phenobarb somehow? Or is this just the one part of me that is able to make it out of the drug fog?

Rats, really wanted to blame it on the drugs! But, today I did notice a co-worker biting her thumbs down almost as far as I do, and she's not on epilepsy drugs.

To share, my other big one is severe Essential Tremor, mostly medication controlled. Started before I went back on AEDs.

I have Type 2 Diabetes and a scarred kidney. I also have Parkinson's.

Last edited:
My eldest son Joni (age 16) has brain damage (severe scar tissue on both sides of his cortex) due to hypoglycemia shortly after he was born. He has spastic quadriplegia, cortical visual impairment, sensory integration disorder and his epilepsy was diagnosed at age 3 as Lennox Gastaut syndrome. He's severely multiple disabled, cannot talk and walk, he is in a wheelchair. He has striker feet and a mild scoliosis. He is functioning physically as an 6-9 month old and mentally as an 12 month old toddler.

Mini-Stroke during surgery to place 20 depth electrodes in 2014; I fared pretty well and only deal with tingling & numbness in my right leg & foot, worsened memory issues (it was bad to begin but now I have almost no short term memory), word finding issues during conversation, and astigmatism in my right eye that was not there prior to stroke/surgery. Outside of stroke related conditions I struggle with seasonal depression, hypothyroidism, insomnia, and sensitivity to light & sound. Just found out that I might have lupus and the Dr. Has to do more testing to confirm that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hm. I've voted in the poll but I never posted. In addition to E, I have schizoaffective disorder bipolar type. To translate that, it essentially means I have symptoms of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. I also had a sleep study done and have mild sleep anea. I can't wait to try a CPAP machine, because I regularly sleep 12 hours a night. It really makes it hard to work full-time when I have to sleep so much. Hoping things will get better with a CPAP machine.

Hi,
Other than epilepsy I just found out that I have perventricular nodular heterotopia (PNH)
which means do to yrs. of epilepsy it has caused a heart abnormality known as aortic root dilation. This in turn can lead to possible death if not taken care of. I saw my neuro just last week June 9, 2016 and found out about this. Hopefully all will be okay within time after heart work is done. Wishing all of you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Back
Top Bottom