• 4-6 months

Votes: 12 7.6%
  • 7-12 months

Votes: 17 10.8%
  • Over 1 year

Votes: 86 54.8%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

havefaith

New
Reaction score
and, what are you doing/taking to stay that way???

I desperately want to help my sister find some answers for my niece...

Thanks.

Over 20 years ago a neurologist suggested that during a seizure I try to count backwards by 2's starting with 99. Only recently have I been able to get past 91 but trying to focus on something like that lessens the misfiring in the brain & hence lessens the after effects of the seizure.

Something else that helps me is being aware of my breathing & trying to slow it down since hyperventilation is a symptom of a seizure.

25 years seizure free, then 4 years after that (2008 was the last one and still counting.)

Reason _ No idea

Randy

I am pretty new, got diagnosed about a year and a half ago. So far I can only make 5-6 months and then have a seizure.

Rtl

It was RTL that gave me approx. 4 years free of seizures. Other than that I don't have much luck getting through 5 days.

There's a lot of great information on this site to keep seizures at bay that many seem to have some luck with and this is even without meds.

Wishing your niece well.

I voted for more than one year, but that is a qualified answer. I have went 6 years now without a tonic-clonic. However, the auras (still a type of seizure) and some other types of partials are still there. Not bad, but enough to let me know that the E is not gone.

I have been seizure-free for a total of four weeks in a row in my illustrious 7-carreer. Now this has only happend once. Prayers go out for your niece.

My seizures are totally different now, since my Epil surg 3/99. Before the surg I was having 600-1000 complex partial sz a yr. Lasting up to 5-8 minutes a peice. Now I have a grand mal in my sleep about every 2-3 months, I think it is more related to sleep apena.
The best of luck for your niece.

I once went three years. Ironically enough during a very difficult and stressful time of my life.

When things got better and there was no major drama then they came back. ??

I'm happy now and it looks like they are here to stay. Strange.

During that time I was lucky enough to backpack through The United Kingdom and Ireland. Thankfully I had no seizures then and I managed to get everything done that I wanted to. There is no way I could do that now.

That's where I met the mule in my avatar picture. A small town in Ireland. My wife hates it for some reason, I like it.

@ rewired
Wow!!,
Last week, I had two grand mals in one day. Very unusual, but I was beginning a new dose of old meds. Three tears ago, I moved down here to Houston, absolutely hate it, having spent a decade in Denton Co. That's where I grew up. Almost immediately after moving down here, I had the worst seizure in my life. I felt like Dante staring into the South of Hades. Never has such another seizure made me feel the same way.

dont think I ever made it a whole week without a tonic. Sometimes a few a week. *since my first tonic*

I did vote 7-12 months only because in the last 7 years 10 months without having a siezure and that was this month on the 10th of November and I belive that is only because I had counciling for a bout of severe depression and felt it helped me no end as there was things that I could say to her that I couldn't say to my family without worrying them

But before that I did go 4 years siezure free

I have been able to go 4 weeks without a seizure. But I find myself getting more nervous as time goes by because I am waiting for the next one. I used to have 20 complex partial seizures a day and now I might have 2 complex partials a month and maybe 5-10 small complex partials that are only less than 30sec of staring, fidgeting with things or standing looking confused and walking slow. Those don't bother me too much as long as I am with my sis or friend- sometimes I wander until the seizure stops.
I hope a med change will help me to become seizure free for longer!
My seizures started at age 6 and so I'm used to Absence seizures and complex pratial. But now I started having Atonic seizures and those came after I changed my meds on my own- bad idea.

I have been able to go 4 weeks without a seizure. But I find myself getting more nervous as time goes by because I am waiting for the next one. I used to have 20 complex partial seizures a day and now I might have 2 complex partials a month and maybe 5-10 small complex partials that are only less than 30sec of staring, fidgeting with things or standing looking confused and walking slow. Those don't bother me too much as long as I am with my sis or friend- sometimes I wander until the seizure stops.
I hope a med change will help me to become seizure free for longer!
My seizures started at age 6 and so I'm used to Absence seizures and complex pratial. But now I started having Atonic seizures and those came after I changed my meds on my own- bad idea.

Crystall11,
I'm having the same problem, only more severe as in Grand Mals. Through all the years of this "problem," I have learned to have patience, enjoying the small things in life. As to dreading the seizures, as hard as it is to do, please don't. There's nothing worse to fear than fear itself. My mom recently had to clear out my medicine box over the phone because I wouldn't stop seizing. I too have had a long and distinguished seizure career of seven years. The most important thing to remember is that you are not alone!:e:

you know, I was hoping there would be a bell curve on that poll, i am glad a lot of you have gone for longer than a year though.

COurt:
I've been GrandMal seizure free for 23+ years.
I take 4 200mg Tegretol since 1986~but have been on Tegrtrol since 1969 after my
first GrandMal at the age of 15.

one absent one grand yesterday. totalling between 3-5 for the week, which is about avereage. the longest without has been one week. the seem to come in three-4 day cycles, where I go a few days without, and then a few days with.
could easily be eating habits, i am trying to figure it out.

C0urt:
the most GrandMAL's I've ever had was when the neurologist I had been referred to after
my doctor retired in 1977 thought she knew better than her patient did,just cause she
had a diploma from Harvard:
She had told me that "if your liver function tests were high that she was going to take
me off of the Tegretol,that I'd been on since 1969"
I told her she'd be sorry if she did this.
She said "I'm going to make sure you don't get any seizures"~I promise you".
She took me off the Tegretol~and I ended up having 9 GrandMALs A DAY for 1 WEEK!!!
after not having any since I began Tegretol, in 1969 after my 1st one.

I put a call into my then insurance agent and requested the name of his wife's neurologist~his wife suffered from TMJ.
He gave me the name and telephone number.
I called the next day and got a appointment~I was in his office 2 days later.
When I saw the doctor,Dr.Jeffrey T.Kessler, who's with NorthShore UnitversityHospital,
in GreatNeck,NY. he put me back on the Tegretol and also increased the dosage to
from 3-200mg pills to 4-200mg pills a day.
That was 23 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom