Are you photosensitive?

Do flashing lights/colors bother you?

• Yes

Votes: 130 63.4%
  • No

Votes: 75 36.6%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

The computer will throw me into seizures. To much of it. Or if my son plays on his video games he gets headaches.

I answered yes to the poll, but in general I am not photosensitive.

A few years ago, however, I did find that older fluorescent lights bothered me in one particular classroom. No seizures happened, but I experienced a strange confusion when I was in the class that I couldn't explain any other way. As soon as I would leave the class, my mental state returned to normal within a couple of minutes.

Normal fluorescent lights don't bother me and, thankfully, I haven't had this happen again.

Flashing lights and loud noises bother me now. They start seizures. I love singing and loud places in Seattle. I guess that is going to slow down just a little bit.

Hello- I am sometimes bothered by lights as far as seizures. It can start up just from coming from inside to outside (light/dark) and as soon as i stand outside I start walking slower and slower till I stand still and then my eyes go to the right and get stuck. My Nystagmus (Involuntary shaking of the eyes) stops totally and I just stand there till its over- I cannot speak or move at all. Its a smaller CP for me. The longer ones can be more involved and cause more problems like falling from unbalanced walking and being totally unaware. Most of the times its a pattern that bothers me and usual you don't find those too often. Becuase I have light perception/low-vision, not total blindness, I am overly sensative to lights and wear tinted sunglasses that help. When I had EEG the lights they used caused a driving responce but I'm assuming meds helped in keeping a seizure away. Anyways- I can even have troubles with water reflecting off of things but don't usual find that too often. Other things that could cause trouble for me is patternes or lines moving upwards fast. Also having tunnel vision doesn't help because I have 20 degree field of vision compared to normal vision of 180 degrees at best. Once the visual field becomes real small everything become distorted and bright. Usually sighted people can see other things within their visual field and not just one thing at a time. My aquity is 20/2400 when lasted measurable which means something you could see at 2400 ft away I would have to be 20ft from it to see the same thing. (Normal vision is 20/20 of course/legal blindness is 20/200 in the best corrected eye.)
I stay away from strobe lights or slow flashing lighting or specific patterns but because I have a guide dog or use my cane I can just close my eyes and walk past whatever I think its causing me trouble. Sometimes this doesn't work!
Ok- i will stop writing my book here LOL.
Everyone take care and be safe.

Wow, Crystal. I have a friend like that. They were going to do surgery on her but it was the veins in her neck that were twisted. I have seen her eyes"get stuck" that is really rare isn't it? Unbalanced walking. Topamax really helped her with her balance.I have not met anybody who has gone thru this yet.

Stilldancing- yes during my complex partials my eyes go to the right and get stuck in place. My Nystagmus which is also neurological stopps totally and i dont know how- but eyes deviating and head deviating is normal for a CP. My head goes to the right as well as if I'm tracking something visually - which i'm not able to do anyways due to low-vision.
Sorry to hear about your friend. I am taking Keppra and Tegretol XR right now and still doesnt stop them totally and that's bec its been such a long time since last treatment when i was 14. We should have had meds our whole lives for E but didn't.. now everything is going to take longer to get well if it does at all. I'm hoping it will of course.
Take care and be safe :)
-CM

I am photosensitive to lights. Here in the forum, the colors are not bright. Bernard made them so we will not be photosensitive to the colors here.

Bright lights with the computer and bright lights and the TV in the office here. They definetely cause me problems.

What I do, is wear dark eye glasses.

That is true, stilldancing 98

There are many flickering lights that affect us that we do not see.

For instance, TV and the computer and the internet. I am so glad Bernard put soft colors in the forum so we do not have to worry about it. There are probably many flickering lights that we do not notice.

I have more of a problem with bright static floodlights and going from dark places into bright places, such as going to the supermarket late at night, out of the dark and into an extremely white bright lighting conditions.

Computers do not bother me at all since they have had LCD screens and go 50hz up. When I am playing my WII I go into seizures, but I think that might be a fluke as my tv is 100hz and I play the games in the evenings when I am starting to get tired.

I tend to avoid nightclubs because strobes do bother me, but slow flashing lights not so much unless once again they are bright white.

flashing lights are a trigger for me, so I avoid them as often as possible

Rose

Fluerosant lights are a problem..I think that is why most of my complex partials happen at work. But I also have problems with the strobe or flashing lights, some video games, big screen at movie theather, some neon lights and some of the headlights on certain models of cars.

My husband loves flourescent lights. They are a trigger for me. I wear my polarized sunglasses in the the computer room. Why don't you try polarized sunglasses. You can buy them at WalMart or get prescription glasses.

Hi stilldancing 98

Is it the flouresent lights that puts you into a tonic clonic or the computer? I love your expression, sight. eyesight

I went to a bead and gem show this weekend in Va. Beach. Bright fleurescent lights + millions of sparkling gems= massive seizure activity. Had to leave as I kept getting "lost" between tables.

If I was to close to the TV I would have a seizure. Can't stand flashing lights they trigger seizures and give me migraines. EEGS always set me off.
Wear sunglasses .

Hi swim 9, I have to wear polarized sunglasses. They work for me.

Welcome to CWE. You will love it here. We learn from each other.

Back
Top Bottom