Are you photosensitive?

Do flashing lights/colors bother you?

• Yes

Votes: 130 63.4%
  • No

Votes: 75 36.6%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

If I was to close to the TV I would have a seizure. Can't stand flashing lights they trigger seizures and give me migraines. EEGS always set me off.
Wear sunglasses .

A lot of people say that having their glasses tinted blue helps. I plan to get mine tinted next time I update my prescription just to see if it helps.

YES YES YES I am photosensitive. I always wear sunglasses whether the sun is out or not. Eversince I was diagnosed with nocturnal seizures my eyes have been sensitive to light.

I am one of those that don't like the bright and sunny days. I actually prefer somewhat cloudy days.

One of the things I hate the most about the ER ROOM among others...........is the BRIGHT LIGHTS!

When I am home and everyone else is oput I turn off all the lights and just use whatever light comes in through the windows to see on my computer.:e:

BLEURGH!! Fluorescent lights set me off Asda (wal-mart) is the worst. Also photograph flashes-the school now have a rule of no cameras at performances I attend, they videotape it since I had a seizure at a christmas play. Fireworks, err and another really bad one is ambulance lights when I live 10 mins away from the hospital on the main road there they come past upto 50 times a day. I now have blackout blinds on all my windows and wear polarised glasses outside. No nightclubs erm...those horrid badges in card shops where they have about 50 of them turned on in a display, swirly patterns set me off, and do you remember those 'magic eye' pictures?? RUN FROM THEM!! I HATE FLASHY LIGHTS!!:soap:

Hi, I cannot take those flourescent lights either. Like epileric, I wear polarized sun glasses.

Ruth

flashing lights and any kind of laser lights and strobes really bother me... when I was younger if I wanted to go dancing with my friends. I would have to look down at the floor so I wouldnt go into a seizure. now I just dont go out anymore...

Hi Ruth Ann, welcome to CWE. Bernard made it out of love for his wife Stacy. That love just keeps growing.

About the lights that you are talking about!!:agree:

My name is Ruth, too.

Ruth Ann, if you need to wear sunglasses b/c you're photosensitive, then do so. Your health comes first, not your friends' activities with you. There are other activities you can do which won't involve looking at strobe-light-like lights. For example, if a movie has special effects with lighting, I'll rent it & watch it at home with a lamp turned on to break the entire effect of the strobe lights.

Hi everyone, because I am photosensitive, I am going to throw my computer out of the house today. It has been causing me to have seizures.

I told my son's teacher this year , keep it low on the computer. and the room is kind of on the dark side. because he will become a terd if he is on 2 long. And he crosses his eyes. I have to take him to the eye doctor. But braces are first.

I am now photic and no longer semi-photic.

:(

I did throw away my computer. After a while, I missed it here. I asked hubby for a computer. He had a brand new one that he had not used. It is a better computer.

It has a glare screen, so it no longer bothers my eyes.

Still dancing, i used to work in optical and the longer you leave crossed eyes the worse it gets. You can actually lose sight in the eye that is worse because your brain can no longer compensate for it, so it shuts off use to that eye. REtinal detachment is a big risk with weak eye muscles as well. Teeeth can always be in bracdes.

I'm photosensitive,

strobe lights, flashing lights the t.v. or a computer without a glare screen can all send me into seizures.

Belinda

I decided to go back on the computer. It turned out hubby had a brand new computer.. It has a glare free screen and that helps me a lot. I have not been watching TV and I limit my use of the interned. It is helping my seizures.

I'm not sure if it's anxiety or true photo sensitivity but flourescent lights flickering can make me jerk like a startle reaction, and I sometimes have a hard time concentrating, had it real bad last year during a couple weeks of concert tours.

Hi Abynorml,

Did it only happen on the concert tours? If it only happens then, it could be stress causing it. If it happens at other times, then it is flourescent lights.

I think during the concert tours last year it was a mixture of stress, and missing several days of topamax and then going right back on it. I read one of the side effects of topamax can be a hyperstartle reaction so I think it caused me to be hypersensitive for awhile, however I've never liked the flicker of flourescent lights, I think they make me anxious, and I had a hard time with multiple camera flashes while on stage during shows before, but I think almost anyone would find that very distracting. The lights during the EEG made me feel anxious, the tech had to tell me to stop clenching my teeth.

because flashing lights dont bother me i became a qualified welder and cnc engineer in my early twenties but it wasnt until after i had spent all this time at college that i realised it was a total waste of time as the whole world seems to think that if you are epileptic then flashing lights effect you and being a welder or working machines is a megga no no this is usually because of insurance purposes which totally does my head in

Back
Top Bottom