Blogs related to special nutritional needs

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
I have run into some very inspirational blogs lately that are based on nutritional challenges. I thought it would be a good idea to add a few, as they have some wonderful recipes. Some of these folks are awesome photographers. Makes me want to start cooking right now:

http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/2007/12/oatmeal-cookies-again.html

Maybe I should have used a different title, as this should be for RECIPE BLOGS and RESOURCES

Last edited:
Hello Robin,

I've noticed you're one of the forum members most interested in nutrition & epilespy.
As a keto mom, cooking and calculating ketogenic meals for my son, and beinig a forum moderator of a group with many keto kids, I've got many links with useful info on nutrition, diets & epilepsy, and recepies and ingredients, stored in the archieve of our Dutch forum. I've noticed there isn't much about the ketogenic diet in your kitchen here.
But I'm not yet allowed to post any links here. Will take some time because 50 posts is a lot typing in a foreign language. Just been promoted to 'beinig comfortable' here ;) ,so perhaps in a few months we can exchange useful links about nutrition.

Greetings from a very cold Holland.

Last edited:
Thanks DM. :hj: Looking forward to reading more about the Ketogenic diet as you know it. Do you know about possible differences in how the KD is applied between the USA and the UK (/Europe)? Perhaps that subject could be explored in new thread...

Hi Dutch Mom-
Yes I am very interested in nutrition as I see it as the main issue that Rebecca had going against her. Thought I was doing "okay", but have realized that I was living in a fantasy.

We will keep you chatting so that you can share some of your knowledge about the KD very very soon. I see that it isn't as effective after the age of 16. What are your thoughts.

We are very cold here in CA. Yes I know it isn't the same kind of cold, but.... I do have to wear socks now. I loved my visit to Holland 10 yrs ago. We stayed for about a week.
I will have to look up the town that we stayed in.

http://www.elanaspantry.com/about/

She is also running a contest until Jan 11 to win a GF cookbook and 5-lb bag of almond flour. Check out the blog under recipes.
The forum also looks good if you have specific questions.
You might need to alter her recipes if you are CF, SF, & CF

Now, THAT

I'm gonna have to go check out! Do you have ANY idea how much almond flour sells for around here??? OMW, it's OBSCENE!

There are ways to make it yourself.
Also I think it is a good indication that we just need to reduce our addiction to refined flour products.

Hi Robin from another Robin :)

I highly recommend the Mark's Daily Apple site which also has a member generated cookbook you would love (short ribs in a sauce sweetened only with some berries). The forum there gets a bit bogged down in bickering and trolls but the actual information that Mark Sisson puts out is excellent. He is the author of The Primal Blueprint and a cookbook written with his wife.

If you are interested in neurofeedback, have you ever come across Nora Gedgaudas? She is a neurofeedback practitioner and has a great book called Primal Body, Primal Mind and a website too. She realized how much a ketogenic diet helped in tandem with the neurofeedback work she was doing for clients with all kinds of neurological disorders from autism to ADHD, bi-polar, depression, and epilepsy.

I highly recommend the Mark's Daily Apple site which also has a member generated cookbook you would love (short ribs in a sauce sweetened only with some berries). The forum there gets a bit bogged down in bickering and trolls but the actual information that Mark Sisson puts out is excellent. He is the author of The Primal Blueprint and a cookbook written with his wife.

I posted a note over there a few years ago when they had a discussion on epilepsy:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread19829.html#post294308

I remember that thread. That was when I had first joined MDA. I posted a whole thread about my efforts to reduce my pharmaceuticals a couple of years later. I was known as Paleobird there.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread64225.html

Lots of other people chimed in with their experiences with primal diets and epilepsy.

I quit posting over at MDA due to troll infestation but there are also a lot of really well informed interesting people on that site.

Back
Top Bottom