Coping With Epilepsy The American Epilepsy Outreach Foundation
Free Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Our House > Riva's Memorial

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2009, 08:19 PM
New Here

gradfather

driver of truck had epilepsy...

so it a rainy day in atlanta, thunderstorms and all, i go on a call, radio saying a 68 year old man in a bmw 325i was rammed with an 18 wheeler, i thought to myself, my grandfather is 68, and he owns that car aswell, we get on scene and there he was, my grandfather basically in two peices along with his car obviously, killing him, the truck was 95 miles an hour, turns out the driver of this truck (alive) had epilepsy and had had a seizure in his truck, he was drinking a can of beer and there was a bag of marijuana in his truck and now the truck driver is charged with dui, possesion of drugs, and murder... i don't know if the last charge is reasonable and i dont agree with it seeing that he had a seizure, what do you think?

rest in peace, good man.
Add Post to del.icio.usStumble this Post!Reddit!
Old 05-21-2009, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator / Super Mom

Send a message via Yahoo to RobinN
I am so sorry to hear about your Grandfather. That must be very hard to deal with, especially since you went out on the call. I can't even imagine. Much too young to die.
Curious how these sort of experiences are put into our laps to deal with. There is some good that is suppose to come from this, I have a feeling.

IMO - If the truck driver had any history of seizures, I would classify it murder. Due to the drugs and alcohol, I would also call it murder. Guy is not getting out if I am on that jury. He is the one that got behind the wheel of a lethal vehicle.

Neurofeedback - Rebecca's Story

Robin's Challenge

Knowledge is power and knowledge shared is power multiplied.
-- Bob Noyce
Old 05-21-2009, 08:57 PM
New Here

yeah well i would hate to think that if i were driving down the road and happen to have a seizure (hope that never happens) and i get in a wreck and the other person dies that i would be charged with murder... thats why i choose not to drive the ambulance, i what if i kill patient and my team, what a life this is.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:48 AM
Venerable Voice of CWE

Hmmmm...I think that the trucker should probably get murder...not first degree but maybe 2nd degree...or vehicular manslaughter. The alcohol and marijuana counter the medical defense of epilepsy as a defense.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator / Spaminator

Thanked 1,128 Times in 842 Posts
Originally Posted by skillefer View Post:
Hmmmm...I think that the trucker should probably get murder...not first degree but maybe 2nd degree...or vehicular manslaughter. The alcohol and marijuana counter the medical defense of epilepsy as a defense.
Though if someone knows they have epilepsy I think they should be responsible enough not to drive so using it as a defense is out of the question.