Jett Travolta

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
NASSAU (Reuters) - The teenage son of actor John Travolta died suddenly on Friday during a family vacation in the Bahamas, according to the family's lawyer.

Jett Travolta, 16, suffered a seizure at his family's vacation home at the Old Bahama Bay Hotel on Grand Bahama Island, attorney Michael Ossi said.

Attempts were made to revive him, but he died at the scene, Ossi said.

Jett, who had a history of seizures, was the eldest child of Travolta and his wife, actress Kelly Preston. They also have a daughter, Ella Blue, who was born in 2000.

(Reporting by John Marquis; editing by Jane Sutton and Mohammad Zargham)

http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSTRE50145920090102

Jett's parents believed that Scientology would cure their son of his afflictions. They have denied he was autistic. I just wonder if they were performing purification rundowns on him at the time of death. This entails HOURS in the sauna and mega doses(actual overdoses) of niacin.

Knowing they are devout Scientologists, chances of Jett being on any kind of medication to control his seizures are slim and none. They do not believe in doctors or medicines. In my book this is child abuse in the form of neglect.

Im sorry for any loss and cant imagine thier grief. A very sad day for them.

I respect everyones choice of religion, I dislike thinking it gets in the way of anyones health.

joan*

I feel for their loss as well.
It can happen to those taking meds and those not.

The cause of death is not known...

Jett Travolta had a developmental disability that his parents, John Travolta and Kelly Preston, have linked to Kawasaki disease, an inflammatory disorder of the artery walls that most commonly occurs in young children and can lead to heart disease.
The causes of Kawasaki disease are unknown. Some scientists think it's caused by an infectious agent, such as a virus. Some studies have noted a link between the disease and carpet cleaning chemicals.

CNN.com

What a tragedy...I can't even begin to imagine what they must be going thru.

He was a nice looking kid, sad to die so young.

"At this point, we know that John Travolta and Kelly Preston's only son, Jett, had a seizure at around 10 a.m. this morning," attorney Michael Ossi said. "All attempts to revive him were unsuccessful."

The cause of death is not known, Ossi said. An autopsy will be conducted Monday. His body will be transferred to Ocala, Florida, for burial, he said.

Jett's death "was completely out of the blue," he said. "John and Kelly are happy when their children are happy. This is the worst day of John's life."

The Travoltas also have a daughter, Ella, 8.

Bahamian police said a caretaker at the West End resort where the Travoltas were vacationing found the teenager unconcious in the bathroom. Jett Travolta was taken by ambulance to Rand Memorial Hospital in Freeport and was pronounced dead on arrival, police said.

What a very sad day for this family. My heart goes out to the family.

I saw this, and it broke my heart. I don't even know them...yet I can only imagaine their pain. So very sad! They seem like such a loving family.

Michelle

Such a heartbreak, it's been on the
news everywhere; but as implied, every
one is still "second guessing" as what
has caused the seizures. No one knows
yet and all we can do is just wait for
the conclusions and final answers; for
the media is flurried with "putting the
cart before the horse" before anything
has been done to get the answers first!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(((((((( Much hugs to the family and their
loss of their son ))))))))

I feel so sorry for them in having to deal
with BOTH the media and having to deal
also with grief! It's got to be really difficult!

:rose: :rose: :rose:

I just heard about this when I got home from work today. What a sad a story. Very adorable child.

More details emerging:
... A house caretaker found Jett, 16, unconscious in a bathroom late Friday morning. He was taken by ambulance to a Freeport hospital, where he was pronounced dead, Police Superintendent Basil Rahming said in a statement.

The teenager had last been seen entering the bathroom on Thursday and had a history of seizures, according to the statement. An autopsy is planned.

Jett apparently hit his head on the bathtub, said a police officer who declined to be named because she was not authorized to speak on the matter.
Preston and Travolta have said that Jett became very sick when he was 2 years old and was diagnosed with Kawasaki disease, an illness that leads to inflammation of the blood vessels in young children. She blamed household cleaners and fertilizers, and said that a detoxification program based on teachings from the Church of Scientology helped improve his health, according to People magazine. Both Travolta and Preston are practicing Scientologists.

“I was obsessive about his space being cleaned. We constantly had the carpets cleaned,” Travolta said in a 2001 interview with CNN’s Larry King, a portion of which was rebroadcast on the “Larry King Live” show Friday night. During that interview, when Jett was 9, Travolta spoke of how his son nearly died when he was 2.

It is unclear whether Jett was taking any medications for his seizures.

John Travolta's son, 16, dies at Bahamas vacation home

I saw this sad news last night. What a tragedy for anyone to lose a child for any reason. Time will tell if this was E related, though it is tragic either way.

My heart goes out to them. May he find peace in heaven. :e:

Did Jet Travolta Have Epilepsy?

Hi Guys

I'm sure you must have all heard by now about poor old John Travolta's son, what a shame, such a young lad with his whole life ahead of him!?! As usual, the British press is being cagey, and have only said that he died following an "accident" in the bathroom at the family holiday home, they have used the word "seizure", but of course this could relate to or be caused by so many different things, and I just wondered wether anyone in the States had heard, did he have and epileptic seizure, and if it was epilepsy, are the great British press avoiding the dreaded word?!?!

I hope you all had a great New Years Eve, and like me, you are looking forward to the Spring and a lovely Summer? I hope you are all ok, and I am pleased to say that I am still seizure free, it is two months now, and I haven't even had the slightest hint of an aura!! :woot:

Loadsalove To You All!!

Elaine xxxx

Elaine,

What I have read here is that he did die from a fall related to a seizure. However, beyond that, it is somewhat controversial. Many family insiders say he was autistic and, being an educator, I have to say the pictures I've seen of him making no eye contact and having to be guided by his family or a "handler" certainly indicate that may be true. However, the family says his illness/seizures are the results of Kawasaki disease suffered as a toddler. The real controversy comes about because the family are scientologists who don't recognize autism as an illness. They blame environmental toxins for the Kawasaki Syndrome and say that a protocol developed by scientology healed Jett. Some experts in autism are saying that if he had received proper treatment and medical care, he would have been healthier and more functional. Regardless, my heart goes out to the family as I am sure they loved their son and did what they felt was best for him even if it wasn't what I would have done.

Updated wide-spread Media News

So far the Media is pointing it to the
direction of S U D E P ...

:(

Jett apparently DID have Epilepsy,
but right now - from what the media
is implying, they are awaiting the
finalized report; the secondary report
from another Medical Examiner.

If Jett had indeed had Epilepsy, it would
mean he was never treated for it.

:(

Im not sure we will ever know and I guess thats ok as they entitled to their privacy as well. No matter why, or how, its a great tragedy that many of us worry about daily. I hope IF anything positive can come from this it will be better education, information and support for those with medical issues.
My heart goes out to them.

joan*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom