Gluten Free diet = No seizures!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Still going great with Gluten Free Diet!

Hey All,

It's been a while since I've been here...I've been trying to finish a job these days, but I wanted to update you. I'm still doing the Gluten Free Diet and still doing fantastic on it. I've had a few seizures (small ones in my sleep) in the last few months but for the most part it's definitely working and there's a good chance the few seizures I had was due to Gluten (actually I know one definitely was: Tuna Fish in the can...it wasn't the Tuna but the oil the Tuna sits in...perhaps Tuna in Water would be considered Gluten Free but I haven't tried that and opted to avoid it all together). I haven't had any seizures at all during the day, thank G-d, and as far as I know it's ALL GOOD and keeping me off meds. I've also lost a lot of weight (although I wasn't heavy but could always stand to lose a few pounds) and I'm currently at my ideal weight and hoping not to lose anymore.

I also wanted to share an observation...since I started the Gluten Free Diet I noticed that I now get brain fog from time to time. (I'm assuming most of you know about brain fog considering the only time I ever experienced it was on anti-seizure meds...mainly Dilantin being the cause for it) BUT I've come to learn that when I'm feeling the brain fog I will have some carbs (perhaps a bowl of gluten free pasta) and this seems to do the trick. I recall learning a while back that although carbs can be bad or fattening it's recognized as energy for the brain and brain fog is per se' your brain needing some energy (lethargic) and eating carbs cure it, at least that's what I'm recognizing. With the Gluten Free diet I wasn't getting as many carbs so this came as no shock to me.

Anyway, I just wanted to give you an update and let you know it's still working and if you haven't tried it...PLEASE TRY IT!!! Also, a lot of restaurants have Gluten Free menus but you have to ask for it. For example: Outback, Chili's, T.G.I. Fridays, etc. all have Gluten Free menus and my guess is more and more will be adding one or at least I hope. I miss you all and I hope to add more to the forum soon...as soon as I complete this job. Wishing you all good health!

This is outstanding!!!
thanks for letting everyone know how well you are doing. It is encouraging to others, and gives them the personal motivation to give it a try. Rebecca also has been doing well. We shall see after being glutened at Easter dinner.

Good luck with work and stay healthy.

That's awesome KQ. The best part is how empowering it is to have a measure of control over your situation. :)

So great to read this! And it should help inspire others to give the G-F diet a try. Jusr out of curiosity, what does your neurologist have to say about your success?

thanks for the example!

that is fantastic! I have been on the cheating version of gluten free. Am scared to go full throttle w/o meds. I take dilantin and the long term affects are gettin' on my nerves (thyroid). How long were you on dilantin, and how long were you on diet til you stopped meds?

GF diet update

Update: GF diet is still working! I've been on it for quite a few months now and my seizure control is better than ever. I can't even say the last time I had a seizure it's been so long.

Nakamova I'm sorry to get back to you so late in regards to your question. I was busy these lasts months working a big job. I haven't informed my neurologist as of yet. I don't want to tell him until I'm absolutely 100% certain I'm good to go (more time under my belt). My plan is to go in for the EEG hopefully in June (1 year off meds - but didn't start the GF diet until some months later) and once I show no signs of seizures then I will explain to him that I took myself off meds and started a GF diet and it's WORKING! I have to ensure I'm good to go with being seizure free otherwise I or the GF diet will lose all credibility.

KelvarQ:

I am inspired by your progress. Keep up the good work. This gives me hope. I think my elimination of most prepared foods has given me a reprieve. I have cut back on my own dose, and my medication has not been theraputic for some time - no seizures. I have to keep perfecting the diet, now I have over abundance of yeast.
Thanks for sharing!

gigi

diet..alternatives...neurofeedback

I am trying to read all the info that is here on alternatives that work...I find the Gard diet really works wonders ..and I am faithful to it...goat milk I am not sure about..I found goat keifer and bought some today...seems to be ok.
I want to learn as much as I can before contacting someone for neurofeedback
Thank you for all your replys.

KelvarQ:

I have to keep perfecting the diet, now I have over abundance of yeast.

gigi

What helps me with this is grapefruit seed extract. You do need to make sure it won't cause problems with your current medication though. I put the GSE in gel caps. I worked up to 20 drops. It works for me. I know that Vit B can increase yeast. Sugar and refined grains do also.

diet

RobinN:

Thanks for the tip on the GSE! I had not read that that helps with yeast overgrowth. I do not have a huge sweet tooth, so I am doing okay with eliminating sugar. I do miss bread sometimes. :bigsmile:

Perplexed? Robin...the GF diet doesn't cause an over abundance of yeast, does it?

If all you do is exchange your gluten foods for gluten free GF foods, then there can still be a problem if it is something that you have a problem with.

I think you can easily have far too many refined foods, even if you take out gluten and casein, soy and corn. It is my opinion that we have to eat more WHOLE foods than ones that have been made in factories.

gluten free diet,alternatives

I do not eat out and I do not buy prepared,processed foods except I have a little millet or brown rice bread by Food for Life..wheat and gluten free,maybe one or two slices a day...and I take a lot of magnesium(Jigsaw and powdered magnesium),UniqueE,Bcomplex and others mentioned by Dr.Blaylock.I read his book Excitotoxins and avoid msg and all its hidden forms,and just finished reading Treating Epilepsy Naturally by Patricia Murphy and am reading Epilepsy a new approach by Richard and Reiter .I am taking 50 mg of Zonisamide every other day ...so i am weening off again but slowly and doing fine....I take deep slow breaths if I feel stressed...I love to research..and am still learning about neurofeedback...and am soooo excited about all the contact.Thank you....RobertaV

I can't believe I never looked at what I was eating for triggers.

This lifestyle is doing wonders for my seizures as well. I can't believe I didn't look into it sooner, I have had stomach problems my entire life! And my lymph nodes have been enlarged for YEARS, its not cancer, but terrifying all the same. well since going gluten free my lymph nodes have gone completly back to normal! I personally am not interested in obtaining a gluten allergy diagnosis, for the first time I feel good. i'm not telling anyone to go off thier meds,but I am telling every one to look at their diet. I want to know should I be telling them to get tested? how important is an actual diagnosis?

I am not in the implementing mode, but I am in the process of researching a gluten free diet.

glad to reply..I am off meds and doing great..still following my diet and taking supplements...I wouldn't be without magnesium...at night ,before I go to sleep,I take some powdered magnesium citrate by Now and during the day Jigsaw magnesium,it's time released..It is amazing what diet and supplements can do...also deep breathing is important to me.

robertav, it is so exciting to hear your positive news. It is amazing ... isn't it?
How long have you been making these changes? Also, are you able to stay 100% on task?

Matchu - I was told there was nothing to lose when I was considering it. Very true.

I have been into alternatives since I was 19... my dad was 5o years old when he got epilepsy,complex partial seizures..he took dilantin and it did not completely control his seizures...when I was 50 ,I too came down with complex partial seizures !!
I was diagnosed at Barrows ,took Dilantin,had a reaction went to neurontin,another reaction,then to Lamictal and it controlled the seizures totally but I was like a zombee memory problems ,weight gain,and read about all the possible side effects...a nurse at the kidney office said they see a lot of problems on Lamictal there so...I tapered off and for the whole year of 2009 I only had 4 seizures...diet change..dogtorj and Dr.Blaylock's information gave me a way out.....During 2009 my primary care doctor put me on a medication which I took for a few weeks....a few months after that and I had my 3rd seizure for 2009...another med for a few weeks,zonnisamide,then I went off that.....It seemed those seizures in 2009 were not enough for me to have all that medication with all it's side effects but Barrows put me on zonisamide I took a minute amount and I am off it..I tapered off first. I found this forum and more encouragement to go on with the proper diet,especially an elimination of many foods..I do not eat "out" and eat nothing prepared to be sure not to have additives that are known triggers..I do like and eat raw goat cheese..yum.. good to hear from you ....

I have been into diet and it's consequences since I was 19 but the info relating to seizures by those doctor's that study and share is great....when I was 19 I came down with rheumatoid arthritis .I was an art student in Philadelphia and woke up with pain that traveled for one month...it was really severe,first in my knee then left and went into the other knee,then left that and went into my wrist then left that wrist and went into my other wrist ,then left my body totally.. mom's brother was head surgeon at a hospital in Pennsylvania and said bring her home and we will put her in the hospital and do tests to see what the problem is...well that is where the rheumatoid arthritis was diagnosed and then I began reading and studying my health books ..I read the eliminating white sugar and white flour and red meat will eliminate arthritis and IT DID immediately..i started using honey and now buy raw honey from a local bee keeper..yum.I have been wanting t share my story..thanks for the encouragement.

Back
Top Bottom