Gluten Free diet = No seizures!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I am new to this seizure thing, and still learning what is causing mine. I have been trying to learn as much about things as possible. My mom is big into the Gluten stuff, having our whole family tested for sensitivities to gluten. I am staying off it for the most part, but haven't really noticed much of a difference. I have a question regarding how the neurologists take this.. Mine doesn't seem concerned with gluten playing a part in seizures at all. Have you ran this by your regular team of Dr's, and if so, what do they say? I am noticing that most of the neurologists just want to shove pills down us and not explore what the CAUSE of the seizures are. Anyone else experiencing that when discussing the gluten issue?

Robertav,

I so relate to what you are saying. I had fibromyalgia and IBS, with abdominal cramps that made me double over. It all dissapeared when I went vegan. Eliminating animal products from my diet cured it. I chock it up to elimination of the inflammation that meat causes in the gut. When someone slips me meat without my knowledge I get really sick again.

Everyone is different. Vegetarianism isn't the right choice for everybody. So the right choice for some.

Unfortunately, there haven't been a lot of large-scale tests of the dietary approach. In part this is because it's complicated to administer such a study, but mostly it's because there's no money for Big Pharma in a dietary approach. (For the same reason, neurofeedback has been marginalized). There have been studies showing that a high percentage of kids with seizure disorders also have gluten intolerances or gastro-intestinal disorders, so the connection seems worth exploring. And most importantly, there's been a lot of anecdotal success reported here and elsewhere by folks who have made dietary changes.

Neurologists are dismissive because all they feel they can offer is meds or surgery. But as long as the diet is well-balanced in terms of overall nutrition, it can't hurt. It takes patience and persistence, but the potential for improving seizure control while avoiding side effects makes it very appealing.

hi I am so happy for you about the success of the gluten free diet..do you take a few supplements daily,like magnesium ?..I am asking because I too have had success with the elimination diet but take some supplements too ? Roberta

I am new to this seizure thing, and still learning what is causing mine. I have been trying to learn as much about things as possible. My mom is big into the Gluten stuff, having our whole family tested for sensitivities to gluten. I am staying off it for the most part, but haven't really noticed much of a difference. I have a question regarding how the neurologists take this.. Mine doesn't seem concerned with gluten playing a part in seizures at all. Have you ran this by your regular team of Dr's, and if so, what do they say? I am noticing that most of the neurologists just want to shove pills down us and not explore what the CAUSE of the seizures are. Anyone else experiencing that when discussing the gluten issue?

I would say your experience is similar to ours. Neurologists don't make the connection very often. When my daughter was tested to be hypoglycemic, I was told by the neurologist she had no experience with that, but she had another medication my daughter could try. :ponder:

I did not ask permission to feed my daughter a better diet. I decided that was my job as a parent. It has always been my belief that nutrition played a role in most disease and illness. We all need to begin taking control of our personal health, and do what we know to be right. Also I don't believe you will see improvement, unless you have been clear of gluten for about 6-8 months.

robertav, it is so exciting to hear your positive news. It is amazing ... isn't it?
How long have you been making these changes? Also, are you able to stay 100% on task?

Matchu - I was told there was nothing to lose when I was considering it. Very true.

anyone know a way to get out of the postical funk after a night of seizures. or am i having them still? i haven't had this in quite some time.

my issue with the diet is finding food to eat out side the house, and at the grocery store. It is bloody expensive, and if you need something to eat when your not home, there are no choices that I know of.

Last edited:
Hi, Matchu,

Postictal funk? Sorry, no suggestions. I don't know how to get out of mine, either, other than waiting it out.

Special diets of any kind are kinda tough when eating out. Salads are usually a safe bet. The health food store has lots of gluten free and low glycemic stuff. Ask the staff for help. They'll take you on a little tour of the store and what things it does have. Our regular local grocery store even has "gluten free" and "vegetarian" labels on the shelves to clearly mark products. Very forward thinking.

This sounds good but my 3 meals I eat out with my husband most of the time. Well the only thing I could try my very best is take those simple cooking style meals only.

I started making changes in January,2009...after I found dogtorj on the internet and was off lamictal by January 2009...4 seizures during that year but they were in my sleep,I know because of how I felt the next day..with the last 2 I hardly knew who i was for days afterwards.I stay on the diet and do not eat out or have anything prepackaged.

It is easier for me,,,maybe because i am alone and have just myself to prepare food for..but cooking is simple..it is well worth the effort , there have been so many success stories

I find if I stay with the basics I am fine. Eating out is tricky, and sometimes I have to wait until I get home. Keeping a safe granola bar, an apple etc tides me over until I can prepare something that is healthy for us.

Remember to consider what you CAN eat, not what you can't.

That is a good one..remember what I can eat..I will be thinking about that throughout the day..thanks

I read Dr.Blaylock's book Exctotoxins,and do not want any..and Msg is hidden in so many ways...that is why I avoid eating out

Yes, we have been hit in unsuspecting places. The grocery store is most likely the best place to catch a quick snack. More and more I am finding gluten free food service in our area. I hope it spreads. The more times we all ask for a gluten free menu, the more likely they will consider it.

PF Changs is one that has a GF menu

Try Modified Atkins Diet for Seizures

Thats great! I would suggest switching up to the MAD, or Modified Atkins Diet, as sugar causes seizures (this NOT allowed on it) while emphasising heavy fats because they create more ketones which prevent seizures. Carbs are also not permitted. Darn hard to find food for it though the Gulten Free is just as hard I know. It's doing wonders for me!

Back
Top Bottom