Neurofeedback - Rebecca's Story

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hmmm.... I always thought that was for bladder infections?

I am working to keep all sugar intake at a minimum, because yeast loves sugar and simple carbs. I have been giving her a probiotic each day, and Grapefruit Seed Extract is also recommended.

It is just interesting to me that I have learned all this about antibiotics and yeast increase, antibiotics and probiotics, eczema and yeast, allergies and yeast, etc...only on the internet. Not one doctor has ever discussed this with me.

well how about that... I will be getting her some tomorrow.
Thanks so much for that search you did for me.
Hugs

WOW! I just realized... this thread has had over 6,000 views in a years time. :clap:

I came here to tell you all that I have just read something really interesting. It makes Neurofeedback all the more exciting to try during the early years.

From the book [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Train-Your-Mind-Change-Brain/dp/0345479890/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235284757&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Train Your Mind, Change Your Brain: How a New Science Reveals Our Extraordinary Potential to Transform Ourselves (9780345479891): Sharon Begley: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51hqi7AKiSL.@@AMEPARAM@@51hqi7AKiSL[/ame]by Sharon Begley
"...two groups of scientists, one at UCLA and one at NIH, ... discovered, the frontal lobes (the seat of such high-level functions as judgment, emotional regulation and self-control, organization, and planning) experience a growth spurt, with gray matter proliferating almost as exuberantly as it did during gestation and infancy; the volume of gray matter increases noticeably, reflecting the formation of new connections and branches. And then, in a person's twenties, there is another reprise of the neurological events of early childhood, as unused synapses are eliminated so the networks that remain are more efficient. Other brain regions also remain under construction through adolescence. The parietal lobes, which assemble information that arrives from distant neighborhoods of the brain, are works in progress through the midteens. They continue to add gray matter until age ten (in girls) or twelve (in boys), after which underused synapses are pruned just as they are in childhood. Similarly, the temporal lobes, which contain matter until age sixteen and only then undergo pruning.

Contrary to the belief that wholesale neuronal birth and synapse formation occur only during gestation and infancy, then, the brain gets a second wind just before puberty. Describing these discoveries ... Neville said that "we've learned an astonishing thing in the past few years, and that is that the human brain -- in terms of the hardware, the number of synapses, the number of dendritic branchings -- doesn't look adultlike until twenty to twenty-five years after birth." Even a brain this ancient has the raw material for neuroplasticity. That suggests that those raw materials could be put to one of the same uses they were in childhood -- namely, giving the brain the malleability to respond to experience.

The fact that the brains of adolescents and young adults undergo such extensive synapse formation and pruning means that kids have a second chance. .... Synapses that support unused skill will wither like rosebushes targeted by a zealous gardener.

This article touches on so many different areas that we discuss so I decided to bring it to Rebecca's Thread:
A: Since seizures often occur during sleep, they are frequently not diagnosed. There are many newer observations concerning seizures that can offer new ways to control them. One of the links most often overlooked by physicians and even neurologists is hypoglycemia. We know that, in healthy people, dropping the blood sugar rapidly can precipitate a seizure, and those prone to seizures are much more sensitive to hypoglycemia.

Studies have shown that a buildup of the excitotoxin glutamate in the brain triggers the majority of seizures, and most of the newer antiseizure medications block glutamate receptors in the brain. When blood sugar falls, brain glutamate levels rise. So, avoid sugar and high glycemic foods, especially around bedtime. Potato chips are a major culprit, especially those with excitotoxin additives, like MSG.

Magnesium plays a major role in regulating glutamate receptors and has been shown to reduce seizure risk. Take the magnesium three times a day. The last dose should be made by mixing 500 milligrams of magnesium citrate/malate with 4 ounces of water. This allows rapid absorption and promotes good blood levels.

Another anti-seizure supplement is L-carnosine, a natural compound that suppresses seizures triggered by excitotoxins. It also protects the brain. The dose is 500 milligrams three times a day, to be taken 30 minutes before each meal.

DHA, which promotes brain development and repair, has been shown to reduce seizures as well. The dose is 1,000 milligrams a day. Omega-6 oils increase the incidence of seizures, so they should be avoided as much as possible. It has also been shown that all antioxidants reduce seizures, especially if used in combination. Vitamin B-6 (as pyridoxal 5-phosphate) reduces brain glutamate levels and can reduce seizure risk. The dose is 25 milligrams to 30 milligrams a day. Melatonin (time-released form) is another nutrient that helps: Take 3 milligrams to 9 milligrams 30 minutes before bedtime.

From The Blaylock Wellness Report - March 2009
(bold font added by moi)

Last edited:
Hi Robin

Thank you very much. A lot of it affects my diabetes as well. The changes will help both of them. You are a true friend. Ruth

This article touches on so many different areas that we discuss so I decided to bring it to Rebecca's Thread:

From The Blaylock Wellness Report - March 2009
(bold font added by moi)
Is the amount of Magnesium in a good over the counter daily vitamin suffcient?

I personally would say... NO
Start with that and work up slowly. Many have 100mg, 200mg. 250mg,
I just bought Jigsaw Magnesium that Dr Blaylock recommends and it is 500mg. We are both taking that twice a day.
You can identify whether or not you are over doing it by the body responding with loose stools. Then you pull back on a dose and see if it clears up the problem.

I have been reading by many prominent Drs that they are recommending around 1000mg. This is over the 400mg RDA but that is only a starting point for most.
I am not in the medical field and you should listen to your body, and trust what it is telling you.

38 days seizure free.
Monitoring food in a different way this month.

Still working to be somewhat gluten free, casein free, soy free and corn free.
Not 100% because she does not think "cheating" occasionally matters. She "will not die".

I have not been feeding her potatoes, and working with her to have protein more often, rather than going from one carb snack to another. Even if it is gluten free it still is a carb and changed to simple sugars in the body. Limiting the numbers of slices of bread a day.

Dr Blaylock in post #186 says that when blood glucose drops, brain glutamate levels rise. Keeping those blood glucose numbers consistent is my goal. Here is where the Atkins, and Low Glycemic nutritional choices are similar.

Last edited:
That is interesting about the blood glucose. I am a diabetic. I have to be careful about my numbers. I did not know that glutamate levels rise.

The Low Glycemic diet is good for me.

That is great that Rebecca has been 38 days seizure free. How are you monitoring the food differently?

Now I am really confused. If you have seizures due to hypoglycemia, it is not Epilepsy? It is just a body reaction to the low blood sugar? So for 2.5 yrs they have been treating Rebecca for the wrong thing?

Q: Can low blood sugar trigger seizures?

Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) can induce epileptic-type seizures. This
condition can be caused by diet or by drugs such as insulin. This is
not really Epilepsy since it is not recurrent seizures that are due to
abnormal brain activity. Here the seizures are directly caused by the
blood sugar levels.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...e4d2baa3c997fb

I looked up hypoglycemia and amnesia, and sure enough there is a relationship.

There is a relationship also to the insulin / liver / hormone imbalance too.

I am going to discuss this with Sue at EEGInstitute, because if there is no abnormal brain wave patterns, if there is no imbalance, or instability. Perhaps the improvement is largely due to the nutritional changes, and the cognitive improvement is solely due to NFB.

Rebecca had another seizure yesterday, right on schedule. At the end of her sensitive week, and I have found evidence of nutritional cheating. It also occurred around 10:30 am which is within the margin that it usually happens. Some clue here with breakfast, workout, snack... crash. I am determined to figure this out. She made it 42 days. Sure beats 6 seizures a month on meds.

Last edited:
After we were given the results to the glucose tolerance test, Rebecca's pediatrician told me to make an appt with her neurologist. We waited for two months for an appointment with the neurologist.

I spent quite a while putting together a notebook with dividers, so that I would have all of our current information easily accessible. Downloaded more information about hypoglycemia and seizures, hypoglycemia and amnesia, celiac, nutrition, glycemic index, etc.

The neurologist was not there at first. It was her nurse practitioner. I am thinking.... "I waited for two months for this?" She said she did not have the expertise that we needed, and so we basically waited until the Dr came from the hospital. After she arrived and I told her where we were at. The doctor told us she did not have any experience with hypoglycemia and asked me what I wanted to do. I told her that I want some help. I told her I am not an expert, and I would like some guidance.

We were given a name for an endocrinologist. Of course who probably does not have any knowledge of seizures. (We have been sent to a ped. endo before who did not know what a catamenial seizure is) I also was given a name for a dietician, but I highly doubt that they have knowledge about how the hypoglycemia and insulin effects estrogen levels.

So here are a few comments that I wish I had reacted to at the moment. I had better answers after the fact
Doctor:
"Most people take meds because they are easy. Most people dont' want to go to the trouble that you are, and would rather pop a pill. They find what you are doing too difficult."
Answer: Cleaning the house is difficult too, but really do you even consider the alternative?

Answer: Most people aren't given the opportunity or the information to try alternatives. If I had not come in to this office with the info that I have, you would have offered me a dozen varieties of medication. Then twelve years away when those didn't work, you might begin testing my daughter for surgery. But by that point she would not be covered by our insurance. She would be on her own and you would be filling up the patient spot with a new one. I also believe you would have done surgery and never test her for hypoglycemia. When nutritional changes can help her, why are medications being offered?

So I have a pretty book and not a lot of answers.

Last edited:
Going to the World Figure Skating Competition today!!!
YAY Evan - US Men's World Champ

A good page on hypoglycemia:

http://www.hypoglycemia.asn.au/articles/hypoglycemic_diet.html

The Hypoglycemic Diet should not be regarded as a ‘quick fix diet’. It takes time for the body to adjust to a different nutritional lifestyle. Time is needed to absorb and metabolize nutrients to be converted to neurotransmitters, enzymes and coenzymes, and to rebuild receptors for natural neuro chemicals.

Most people may experience the benefits of the hypoglycemic diet after about three months. If you have been using drugs of any kind, it may take even longer. Some studies have suggested that receptors for neurotransmitters may be repaired some 9 to 14 months after abstinence from the drug(s)

Hi Robin

I had epilepsy for 50 yeare before I was diagnosed with Diabetes. My epilepsy is real. My diabetes is real too. They do not get along in the brain. That is why I have to be careful with both. I have to keep them going along together.

Just a consideration.
Hypoglycemia can lay hidden from many tests for a long time. It can lead to Diabetes.
Of course your Epilepsy is real. But it is still just a label for symptoms that have a cause. If the cause is an abnormal imbalance of insulin, then the direct result would be seizures and diabetes.

In my opinion finding the CAUSE is what should be considered.

I would also like to understand the increase in diabetes, arthritis, asthma, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, etc. if it isn't for nutritional reasons.

Back
Top Bottom