Does this warrant a hospital trip?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Rae1889

Veteran
Reaction score
Okay guys,
I am still trying to figure out when it is necessary to figure out when it is nessecary to go to the hpstial.

I know if a grand mal lasts over 5 mins or if any other seizure lasts over 10 min that i shold go. or if they repet with no conciuness returnng in between them.

I have been hving seizures all freaking day. lol! from absenct seizure to a huge myoclonic *I think* at wok. and now that I'mhome, I have had 3 or four tonics since 5:30. (it is 10 now)

I feel fine gright now. granted i feel a bit slow and dazed, tired, but semi-alert. Chad thinks i should go, but I am okay nough to tell him no. so he said to ask someone. I phone my healthlink line here *you talk to a nurse if your not sure if somehting needs a hospital or not. and he said that i know my body best and it is my decision.*

I jsut want them to stop, but i feel okay. none have lsated long. and i have woken up un beteween them.

i was gonna PM this to someone, but i cant remember who the moderators, are. I am feeling odd now. but not bad. any ifeas? sleepi? food? water?
thans

personal rule is, if you ask, go.
at worse, they will tell you what to do in the future, and send you home with a lillipop

4 days ago I had the same thing happen to me. I had 11 seizures in 11 hours.

I've found the hospital really can't do much, some doctors don't even believe you're having a seizure because you're coherent. Instead, I usually take some valerian & boil it into tea. That often helps me & lets me sleep really well.

Okay, that's a tough call, since ERs can be sucky...but I agree that if there's any doubt, go and be safe. Also it might be worth it just to get your neuro's attention -- 3 or 4 tonics in 5 hours!!!! Correct me if I'm wrong, but it does seem like stuff is escalating. You need to figure out how to get some peace.

Yes it is escalating. And I think it has something to do with my lamotrigine. I have never had it this bad until i went on the drug. It got rid of my aura, but added more grand mals. I much prefer the aura. I think i am gonna do anyway

I did have some tea *african red bush* and it seemed to help a bit, and I took some VItamin B at about 9:20ish and I feel better. No seizures in that hour. I think I am gonna go anyway.

Go and keep us posted. You may be right about the Lamotrigine. Maybe you're sensitive to even the small dose, so that when your blood serum is at the trough level (lowest level in your bloodstream), it's like you're withdrawing from it -- so you have a seizure. Are you on extended release or regular?

I have situations like this pretty often, my neuro ended up giving me a prescription for ativan to just knock me out so I can sleep, and hopefully get them to stop. It works really well for me, saves me the hospital trip anyway.

Rae, just a thought -- have you tried taking 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP)? It's an over-the-counter supplement that can help with certain kinds of seizures, especially those that involve startle responses (like hiccups, or being set off by the car radio music or lights).

I hope you're doing ok Rae. Let us know how things went at the ER if you went.

I know how you feel about going, and not wanting to go. Heck my wife was MAJOR post-ictal after her worst partial and she was that way for HOURS after. She couldn't tell me what state we were in when I first talked to her. Yet once the EMT's got here she certainly could tell them she didn't want to go with them. In this state, they couldn't take her against her will so they had to leave her home and go on their way.

That was the night I tried to get her to the ER and it simply wasn't happening. She couldn't really talk properly but she knew what I was getting at and would get hysterical, crying her eyes out each time I said we should go.

Looking back it's all a bit comical, but at the time I was beside myself. I honestly think it's your call if your coherent enough to make the decision. You know yourself and you know when something isn't right. If you need to go, then do so. If you don't need to go then try to get some rest.

Unfortunately they don't usually do much at the ER except stick you in a bed, give you fluids, and make you sit around for hours before discharging you and telling you to see your neurologist.

I feel the same way with ER's not helping... i do not have TOnic CLonics but i have been in PSEC (simple partial and complex partial status epilepticus that led me to the ER 3 times)

I swear i will never go back id rather just down more and more klonopin in my throat until i stop it.... but my neuro said this..

to avoid the crap and garbage. triage.. etc.. just call 9/11

go to county if you have to.

If i was being told this right now id probably not take the advice.. i know how it goes....it really sucks...

I am not sure when this post was started but i really do hope you will be OK.

I will be praying for you that you can get it under control with the right treatment even if that means going to the ER

May I ask .. are you taking generic lamictal ? brand name worked great for me.. but as soon as I went to generic it made my seizures way worse...oh my gosh, im having de ja vu writing this lol may i am having a seizure myself.... geeeesh lol

vapour I'm only lol'ing cuz you started it.

Never know what might happen here on CWE. :lol:

I would go if your seizure pattern is changing. You go to E.R., get blood work up done and check basic things out and they will let you know if there is something you can do until you see your neurologist next. Let the doctor know everything that is different, what's changed and ask questions.
Its better to know something's up than to not know something is possibly wrong. But you do know your body better than anyone else- so its your final decision. If you know something is not right, then go and get it checked out.

Please take care,
Crystal

I think you should go to your doc and get a re-evaluation of your meds. Lamical doesn't work for everyone. (Although I'm taking brand name Lamictal with Klonapin and it really does the trick.) The ER is just a stop-gap measure. GO to your doc and try to have the root of your seizures addressed.

It might be best to go in this situation, but it's your final decision.

Crystal is right, they might be able to do something for you until you go to your next appointment.

I'm glad you have one coming up soon. Write down what you want to ask him, and maybe ask his opinion on switching meds.

It's possible that the Lamotrigine isn't working for you. But the changing patterns could just be random. I have damage in the same place as you, and my neurologist said that my seizure patters are more likely to be random than anything else.

It's hard to say and I hope your neurologist can give you an answer.

Take care,

Chris

Hi guys,
I went anyway. they gave me shot of something that started with a D, and i was home by 1am. Stopped them pretty quikc and havent had a seizure of any type since *figners crossed it holds them off for a bit*

To answer questions:

Nakamova: Nope, never tried that, but I will pick some up after work "Yes i went today anyway. came in at 9 instead of 8, but didnt wanna miss a co-workers last day here*

vapour: Yes, I am on generic. I asked my neuro on the 20th if it mattered to him or I, and his response is that they are "exactly" the same drug. I wanted to argue that, but was too shy. and yes, they told me next time to just call 911. They put that in a EMS response file to have anti seizure needle things on hand, and respond. Only to bring me to ER if it doesnt stop with the shot, or If I do not regain conciousness, stop breathing, etc.

Meetz: thanks for the concern *and all of you thanks* I didnt know what to do last night. and i dont htink I was in the right mind to make the descion so Chad made it for me. I dont even remember posting this, but when I clicked new posts this morning I noticed I did! lol

Darcness: Yes, I was crying my eyes out everytime Chad said to go, so the sneaky dork waited til I had another seizure and then asked if I wanted to go get a slurpee to cool me off and give me sugar. I said yes, got int he car, and he drove to the hospital instead! lol try that with your wife. lol

Thanks guys! sorry for the worrrying!

Glad you're back & doing well. :banana:

I would guess the drug they gave you was Diazepam (that's valium). Does that sound familiar?

lol nothing really sounds familiar.I can sometimes barely remember what drug I am on *i have sa sticky note by my computers to know how to spell it. lol* I like to think of my self as a pretty intelligent being, but when it comes to big medical words, i am screwed.

I know this one thos: pnuemonoultramicroscopicsiliconvolcanoconacosis! woot!

Back
Top Bottom