Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
For those of you who were told (like me) that you would be limited in your life and your achievements because you had epilepsy...here's a little inspiration.

Here are a few members of what I call The Epilepsy Hall of Fame. Perhaps you recognize them…

Alexander the Great (356 BC – 323 BC), also known as Alexander III, was the ancient Greek king of Macedon (336–323 BC). During his time, epilepsy was known as "the sacred disease" because of the belief that those who had seizures were possessed by evil spirits or touched by the gods and should be treated by invoking mystical powers. Which might explain his success in twelve years of military campaigning.

Aristotle (384 BC – 322 BC) Aristotle was one of the first to point out that epilepsy and genius were often closely connected. He found that seizure disorders may have the ability to increase brain activity in specific places and maybe also enhance a persons natural abilities to a certain extent.

Alfred the Great (849 – 899) The King of the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Wessex didn’t let his epilepsy keep him from doing good works for his kingdom and making one of the best books of laws of his time. He was very Catholic and by the time of his death he had helped increase the quality and amount of churches and schools from all over his lands.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson (1809 –1892) In Tennyson’s time, epilepsy was the ultimate stigma because it was believed that masturbation was the culprit! As a result, up until the 19th century, one approach to epilepsy was castration. Tennyson's was also dragged off to European spas where treatment consisted of drinking large amounts of water, walking long distances in bad weather, and being submersed, wrapped in sheets, into cold baths. It’s a wonder that, despite these odds, he became Poet Laureate in 1850.

Vincent van Gogh (1853 -- 1890) Vincent van Gogh is probably the most widely known artist with epilepsy. "The storm within" was how he described it and a hospital worker witnessed Vincent having a seizure once while painting outside. He was prescribed potassium bromide as an anticonvulsant and ordered to spend countless hours bathing in tubs at the asylum in Saint-Remy. His most troubling seizures peaked with his greatest art in the south of France, where he painted A Starry Night, the extraordinary Self-Portrait, and the famous Crows in the Wheatfields.

Charles Dickens (1812 – 1870) The famous Victorian author of such classic books as A Christmas Carol and Oliver Twist had epilepsy, as did several of the characters in his books. The medical accuracy of Dickens's descriptions of epilepsy has amazed doctors who read him today. Through some characters in his novels, Charles Dickens recorded observations on the nature of epileptic seizures, their causes and provocation, and their consequences. Three of his main characters, Monks, Guster, and Bradley Headstone, had seizures which Dickens realistically described.

Alfred Nobel (1833 – 1896) Nobel had epileptic seizures since childhood which later made him write of convulsions and agony in a poem. Yet he went on to become a chemist, engineer, innovator, armaments manufacturer and inventor of dynamite. He held more than 350 patents and controlled factories and laboratories in 20 countries by the time of his death. And in 1895, Nobel left much of his wealth to establish the Nobel Prize -- honoring men and women for outstanding achievements in physics, chemistry, medicine, literature, and for work in peace.

Edgar Allen Poe (1809 – 1849) Poe is best known for his macabre mysteries and he is the one who invented the Detective-Fiction genre. For many years, people attributed his mental problems to alcohol and drug abuse but, today many believe that he was not properly diagnosed. Most authorities now believe he was epileptic, which would sometimes explain his frequent confusion.

Gustave Flaubert (1821 -- 1880) Wrote such masterpieces as Madame Bovary and A Sentimental Education, and was also diagnosed with epilepsy. His father, a doctor, ordered him to take regular bleedings with leeches. Flaubert abandoned these useless treatments and resigned himself to living with his epilepsy. Flaubert gave features of these seizures (none described as epilepsy) to various characters, including the heroine of Madame Bovary, who falls into a stupor while crossing a field, and the title character in his book The Temptation of St. Anthony.

Fyodor Dostoevsky (1821 – 1881) Author of such classics as The Idiot, Crime and Punishment and The Brothers Karamazov, Dostoevsky is considered by many to have brought the Western novel to the peak of its possibilities. It was reported that he had his first seizure at age nine which could explain why he made epilepsy a central source of themes, personalities, and events in his books; in fact, he gave epilepsy to about 30 of his characters.

Lewis Carroll (1832 - 1898) In his famous stories Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass, Carroll may have been writing about his own temporal lobe seizures. The very inspiration for Alice' adventures -- that of falling down a hole -- is familiar to many people with seizures. Alice often feels that her own body (or the objects around her) is shrinking or growing before her eyes, another seizure symptom.

Theodore Roosevelt (1858 – 1919) A soldier, historian, explorer, naturalist, author, and Governor of New York, he went on to become the President of the United States at the age of 42. And although he was subject to epileptic seizures, bad eyesight and also suffered from asthma, he was still a man of courage and strength appreciated by many.

Bud Abbott (1895 – 1974) The American comedian and actor, tried all his life to hide the fact that he was suffering from epilepsy. Many times he tried to control it with alcohol. His alcoholism worsened and by the time he lost his longtime partner Lou Costello, Abbott’s career was effectively over.

Richard Burton (1925 – 1984) Being at one time the highest paid Hollywood actor, Burton was well known for his distinctive voice. But he was crippled all his life by epilepsy and went extremely deep into alcoholism to try and prevent the seizures. Eventually this led him to manic depression. But he would never go to a doctor because he was more afraid of being diagnosed as crazy than of having epilepsy!

This is just a sampling of the many famous people whose epilepsy has been documented. But you ask: "What about our contemporaries, the gifted celebrities of today?

Unfortunately, we don't know who they are. Because even today, celebrities with epilepsy remain "in the closet," concerned that going public will result in negative treatment and harm their job opportunities.

Which is a shame, because people living with epilepsy -- even those of us who are neither geniuses or celebrities --- could benefit from role models to inspire us, along with leaders to raise public awareness and understanding.

But there always have been -- and always will be -- those wonderfully accomplished people with epilepsy to inspire the discouraged and enlighten the world.

Last edited:
What a great list. I never knew any of those folks had epilepsy.

John Travolta's son died having a seizure. If you go to epilepsy.com you can see more of a list of famous people who've had epilepsy. There are more famous people now days who are "coming out of the closet" about epilepsy.

Yes, like Danny Glover and Neil Young. Neil Young also has a daughter with epilepsy and 2 sons with Cerebral Palsy.

However, I decided to leave my Hall of Fame to the dearly departed, since many "famous" people aren't crazyabout broadcasting their epilepsy.

Last edited:
Hi Phylis,

It helps us to know who the living people with epilepsy are. It gives encouragement to those who believe that they cannot get work today. Many of them are in the forum here.

Cindy was right in pointing out a present day person. It encourages me.

That is great to know of famous or well-known people who have Epilepsy. Sometimes you feel that you're the only one with seizures or Epilepsy and that all other people are "normal". I remember one day in Med/soc/psych aspects of disability class in college, I mentioned something about seizures and Epilepsy and one student raised her hand and mentioned that she has seizures herself. We talked after that and it was real nice knowing that three of us (student, me and my twin) had seizures. 3 out of 14 students had seizures. Interesting to me- we also continued a discussion about Epilepsy and many students had questions so we answered them the best we could and definately explained the types of seizures too.
My teacher actually. by mistake, was giving information that was not quite correct so we talked about it after class and then next day she corrected it. Some of the info she had was very old.

Anyways- great for sharing with us. Makes us realize we are not alone.

-Crystal

Hi Crystal,

A person on another website was told by his doctor that he could never work. The reason: seizures. I am going to tell him that there are people today who do work with epilepsy. He is very depressed. He believed his doctor. A very ignornant doctor. How many other doctors are telling their patients that?

My parents were told not to expect much of me because of my "condition." Fortunately, I'm self-motivated and went on to become a direct response copywriter -- first on the corporate side, next on the ad agency side and then freelance for 20 years. Good thing I didn't listen to them!!!

Ruth-
Let that doctor know that people with Epilepsy, blindness and deafness can work too! I am deaf-blind and have epilepsy as does my twin. We have a music career despite this and are looking for work. I was able to get a B.A. Degree in Human Resources/Rehabilitation Counseling and expect myself to be able to work. Might need some modification, interpreter etc but I know I can do it.

Its sad when people put limits on others just because they have a disability or condition.
My doctor told my Mom that we would die at 21, would never hear or see or walk and that we would need lots of care. Well we can't see or hear perfectly but we are alive and are able to walk even though we have mild troubles- anyways doctors try to tell you things when they truely don't know how its going to be.
As on our first CD title says:
"All Things Possible"

:) Crystal

Here are the names I found: Agatha Christie-the leading British writer of mystery novels, Truman Capote-American author of in Cold Blood and Breakfast at Tiffinay's.

Modern actors: Richard Burton, Michael Wilding, Margauz Hemingway, Danny Glover, Lou Abbott of the comedian team Abbott and Costello. It is a good thing that they did not remain "in the closet." We would have missed a lot.

I never remained in "the closet." When I was told that I had epilepsy, I told everyone. It is a part of me. That was 60 years ago. Everyone I have ever known has known that I have epilepsy.

My father had epilepsy and he remained in "the closet." I feel that was sad. He had great potential for becoming famous. He did not want to be disowned by his family.

I felt that if people were true friends they would accept me for who I am. If not, then they are not friends at all, anyway. I was disowned by my father's family and I have never cared. They did not care about me. That was 60 years ago.

Hi Crystal,

That person lives in the UK and he did not mention his doctor's name. However, I am educating him. I am sure he will tell his doctor. My sister, also had epilepsy and she worked for 40 years with epilepsy. She is 4 years older than me. She disowned me because of my seizures deteriotating over the years. My father and grandfather were the only ones keeping me in the family. Once they died, I was out of the family.

There are other people like that I have educated about working. I got work for a short time, they knew I had epilepsy. I had to quit because I had to take every other day off. My seizures were that bad. If they had remained under control, I would have kept working.

Ruth- I am sorry to hear that! Goodness.
So your sister (who has Epilepsy herself?) disowned you? I cannot imagine such a bad thing. I am a twin and there is such a strong connection between twins- i could never imagine doing something like that to my twin sis. or other family member because of a medical problem or condition.

Wow

Ruth, you sound like a strong, wise woman. And a lady who has been through a lot of hurt. Are your seizures under control now?

And Crystal, hats off to you!

Ruth & Crystal,

I'm the only one in my family who has epilepsy and have had it for 30 years now. My family and friends accept me for who I am, although there have been plenty of rough spots throughout the years. I once had a career in the airlines and was learning to fly also, but that all ended when the seizures progressed. After the lobectomy, the seizures became more intense and I have never been able to return to work since. My intention was to return to work, not have the seizures return from CP to TC. Even the VNS hasn't stopped them completely. I eventually had to leave my husband, a pilot, because he couldn't handle me having seizures, and now, at least, I can live in peace.

I had a seizure on my first date with my husband.

He was so cool with it I thought: "ok...this one is a KEEPER!" We were married 1 year and 2 days later. I'm a very lucky lady.

Hi Cindy,

I am sorry that you could not become a pilot. I know that you would have made a good one.

My father had to stay away from his family because of his epilepsy. If they would see him have a seizure, he would have been disowned. I never met my grandfather. I was not allowed to go to my father's funeral. What if I had a seizure? They could not take a chance. My seizures could not be hidden and I never tried to hide them. I was very close to my father. My mother, brother and sister avoided me like the plague. My sister was able to hide her epilepsy like my father was able to. My father was my best friend.

My father went through rougher times than I did. My great grand father had the children sent to China to be born. He had a Chinese birth certificate. If he had epilepsy, he would not have been returned to the USA. He came back when he was 17 years old. They wanted to make sure that he did not have epilepsy. This is more that being kept in "the closet." I know this sounds unbelievable but it is true. He came from a wealthy family. I wonder how many relatives I have in China. Probably a lot. Only 4 returned to the USA.

Hi Phylis, when I was dating my husband, I had a seizure. It did not bother him to know that I had epilepsy. We are still married, it has been 46 years now. He is one of my caregivers.

Wow Ruth! You got me beat. I'm just approaching 30 years. (But in my family that would be the equivalent of 2-3 marriages. They're not too good at STAYING married!)

It is known also that Albert Einstein and Thomas Edison also had Epilepsy and is also thought that Juluis Caesar, Socrates and Napolean also had epilepsy.

How about that? :)

Back
Top Bottom