HERO Stories

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

K,I remember when my Dad had diabetes. He also had a joke. He went from playing pro baseball to being on dissability and died at the age of 62 with his whole family around him.I loved my dad. He lost his foot.I feel he still watches over me.He is one of my heros. I remember he would make jokes with his false teeth. That would freek my 2 year old out at the time.He got along with every body.Before he died he told me that he could of never gotten through it without me. I did not deserve that. But he didn't deserve the diabetes either.

Wow stilldancing, your dad sounds like mine! Yup lost his right foot from the knee down, and he would do a False teeth thing to me and my son also (single mom of 15 year old). In the end cancer took him or he was just to tired to keep fighting. Waited till I got to his room to pass, on fathers day.
As for the "not getting through it without you" , hell girl, take it and hold on to that with pride. I looked after my father for 19 years of illness.

I needed a pick me so I re-read this thread today. So many wonderful stories, so many reminders that the world can be agreat place if you go looking.
I can say that my hubby person is still my everyday super hero!

my hero would be my husband Dennis.
He's always been there for me with my seizures.I've ask him several times why he didn't leave me because of my seizures, he said be cause he loved me and I couldn't control my seizures.

He sat at bed sides while I was in the hospital having video EEGs.
He also heard me fall out of the shower head first bust my head open, he was always calm.
He came home once to find were I'd had a seizure tried to pull myself up by frying pan chix grease he was calm.
My Dennis was always calm never lost his cool.He's a big man and I call him my teddy bear.
He also has epilepsy I met him at a support group meeting.
:hugs:

I probably am repeating myself, but oh well. My girlfriend is a hero, she has been around when no one else was. She didn't ditch me, knowing full well I was out of commission pretty bad. A wonderful person who has gone above and beyond to define the word love in my eyes. My best friend David, who has always been around since I was 15. He never ceases to amaze me at how selfless and awesome he is. Regardless of how bad I feel, or how let down I get, he always brightens my mood. I'm lucky to have these two heroes, without them I would be lost.

My heroes in my life would be my mom and my husband. My mom has been my rock and support for my epilepsy from day 1. And still at 33 she has come to my rescue being here for me this year while I changed medicines. She took me to the ER when I had an anxiety attack that I thought was a heart attack or something else, since that was the first time that I had experienced one. But I have never felt like I was overreacting to any side effects or anything when I talk to her about everything that goes with the world of epilepsy. My husband has also been a rock for me. Oddly enough it was a seizure of mine that got me to realize he was the one. He found out that I had a seizure and wanted to come over right away but I was with my sister at the time and so he came over the next day because he didn't want me to be alone. I told him that I am usually exhausted the following 24 hours after a seizure and he said he didn't care if he was watching me sleep he wanted to come over. He has also been there for my most recent seizures. Which I am fairly lucky to have pretty good control of my seizures. Let's hope that it stays that way. Anyone that steps up to help when our seizures occur is truly a hero in my eyes. Bless all the strong caring people that Cate enough to protect us from harm when possible.:hugs:

My hero is my fiance, I'm in hospital and he has been by my side, even staying past visiting hours, to make sure I'm OK. He's been stepping up to bat for me when the doctors wanted to shove me out the door, which turned out to be a bad moved when I went into status epileptcus. The nurses have been singing his praises because of how well he has handled things

My Parents have definitely been my Heroes; particularly my Mom. Despite a somewhat tumultuous relationship unrelated to my health, they have literally saved my life over and over.

My first seizure occurred in the shower and my mom broke down the locked bathroom door to get to me. Since then I've had several seizures in the shower and they have always found their way to me.

Currently I am staying with them after two breakthrough seizures 3 weeks ago. My dad is 81 and my mom is 73...and they somehow managed to keep my safe. God Bless Them...they each have health concerns of their own and certainly haven't deserved this in their lives.

This one's for my husband. He is my pillar of strength, my rock during tough times. He is my caregiver, my protector, my chauffer, my everything. Without him, I don't know where I'd be today.
He knew I had epilepsy when we were dating, and he knew how to handle it. He was the first person I ever felt comfortable talking to about my auras and seizures. I had never even told my mom b/c I didn't know how.
It is to him that I owe my life. He has been there for me through everything. He sacrifices for me. We have a baby monitor that is used for me when I have seizures. He makes sure I get in bed - the middle of the bed - and he turns on the monitor while he works in his office which is on the other side of the house. But at the first sound - the first sign that I need help - he is there. He is my hero.

This is for the little guy in the picture with me, Valentino. Some combination of my caregiver, my kid, my best friend, and the love of my life. He has caught many a seizure in the pre-ictal aura state and woken me up thereby averting the seizure entirely. The times he hasn't been able to wake me up soon enough, he is always still there when I come out of it, quietly concerned and infinitely reassuring.

Dogs seem to know instinctively the things that people sometimes need some "training" to learn.

Cinnabar, write. I am writing a book for children with epilepsy. My son is giving his input. I love Dostoyevsky. And I am very spiritual. I named Alexander after Alexander the Great. He Had Epilepsy and He was a fighter. Cinnabar, you are surely a blessing.Teresa,

It is hard to imagine somebody watching you seize, what its like must be horrendous in ways, my wife is my super hero. I can never understand what its like even though I have seen people have seizures, the way she cares for me and worries for me. To repay the LOVE and tenderness is hard but I am trying. My Love will never die for my super hero and my wonder will only get greater.

How do we say thanks is something yet to be discovered, in the mean time I will try in my own way.

Back
Top Bottom