I can't see it as a disability

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Or a disease or a disorder...I don't even like the prefix "dis"
Anyone else feel that way?
I refuse to allow it to hold me back

Still it gets frustrating when I have to explain to people over and over again...It's like if someone says "I have cancer" everyone remembers that and always ask how they are doing from day to day

Most of the time though I see it as a superpower...Something to help me see things differently

If I sprayed shaving cream on my bathroom wall I'd look at it and see one of two things. Either I see a work of art and decide to just leave the shaving cream there or I look at it and wonder why I made such a mess...

Hey there Superman!

I really like your attitude! I also don't see myself as 'disabled' - I am perfectly capable of looking after myself (well, for the most part) and try not to be defined by my 'condition'. Acceptance has been a difficult journey for me and will probably remain so for the foreseeable future; but that said and done, I doubt whether I would ever be comfortable with the term 'disabled'.

I accept that for some, epiplesy can be completely debilitating and overtake not only their own, but their families/friends lives.

This is where epilepsy awareness is so important to help not only the person who has it, but also family, friends, professionals and also the uneducated society.

Keep up with the positive attitude - it certainly is infectious Superman! :)

I deffo agree! Epilepsy is just another part of me but its not WHO I AM or WHAT I AM... its just like the colour of my eyes... I cant change it so I will learn to live with it.... (ps. contact lenses creep me out so i couldnt change the colour of my eyes even if i tried haha!)

I don't really think of myself as disabled although I am currently registered as such.

There is no doubt that my epilepsy does hold me back in a lot of ways. I don't like having to claim disability benefits either, but the reality is that I have to since I had to reduce my working hours because I couldn't cope, and I can't live on my current wages. I'm looking for another job where my epilepsy won't affect my work and I'd be able to do full time hours and be completely self sufficient again.

I agree Superman,

I have never seen my epilepsy as a disability. I have always tried to keep a positive attitude about my epilepsy. There are some things I can't do or choose not to do because of my seizures but I am still able to live a fairly normal life.

A positive attitude is so much better for your health with or without epilepsy. For those who try to bring me down, I stick out my tongue at them.

Well I guess it would depend on the severity. I don't think it's the same thing as the color of your eyes. The more digging I do, I find that my own personal experience with epilepsy is all Metabolic.....not Neurologic.

What do you mean your seizures are metabolic?

I never felt disabled and always toke part in gym,sports,computers even tho im phototosensetive,the only one who made me feel bad was the doctor saying no when i wanted a health permit.

I never had grandmals so i don't know what its like to just los it for couple of minutes but still don't let people bring you down,the worse you feel the worse it will become.positive attidute actually helps with seizures.

less depression and stress equals less seziure activity

I never had grandmals so i don't know what its like to just los it for couple of minutes but still don't let people bring you down,the worse you feel the worse it will become.positive attidute actually helps with seizures.

I agree with you that emotion and depression effect seizures but I dont' see what that has to do with metabolism nor what Markymark meant by "metabolic" seizures.

I agree with you that emotion and depression effect seizures but I dont' see what that has to do with metabolism nor what Markymark meant by "metabolic" seizures.

Well maybe he ment that he got something like celiac problems where he can't metabolize gluten well...

I've had SP, CP, and TC (grandmal) seizures, and suffer from depression off and on. I try to maintain a positive attitude, despite the ugly comments I've heard over the years (like, "get over it") and the looks I sometimes get after I had a TC in public. I still go back out in public after the seizure and stay involved with friends, although I haven't been able to work because of the seizures, I do have a social life.

Or a disease or a disorder...I don't even like the prefix "dis"
I don't like being called disabled or as having a disease, but IMO, epilepsy is a brain disorder. For some of us who know where the damage is, it does cause slowed thinking and forgetfulness, depression.

I also have Type 1 diabetes, so if I don't keep my glucose under close scrutiny, I could go into a diabetic seizure if my glucose is too low.

http://professionals.epilepsy.com/page/metabolic_disorders.html

I don't really think of myself as disabled although I am currently registered as such.

There is no doubt that my epilepsy does hold me back in a lot of ways. I don't like having to claim disability benefits either, but the reality is that I have to since I had to reduce my working hours because I couldn't cope, and I can't live on my current wages. I'm looking for another job where my epilepsy won't affect my work and I'd be able to do full time hours and be completely self sufficient again.

What I mean is if someone tells me that I can't do something because of my seizures. I want to prove those people wrong but it does often affect me more than I want.

'metabolic'

my recent studies of hormone feedback loop educated me on how the hypothalamus and pituitary keep the body balanced by monitoring, administrating, and operating the system.

obviously when this machine is damaged it isnt going to run properly.

i cant stop seizures completely; i take anticonvulsants 2 x daily (epival 1000mg total daily) but still have sleep seizures and some simple & partial...

i did however do some analysis, and identified symptoms based on ailments that arise from hormone deficiencies or excesses relative to how the feedback system worked.

an example was i deduced that my reproductive cycle was interfered with because of my brain trauma as well as additional sodium imbalances due to meds and a failure in my glucose reading in my neuro receptors SO:

i went on this almost 'atkins' like diet, figuring i could supplement missing sex hormones by eating red meat.

it works!!! oh the irony. makes everyone else obese; saves my skinny ass!

i started having grand mal seizures the year i became a vegetarian. when i started eating meat again, my mood changed and i slept better. Recently i focused on more red meat and i actually feel GOOD every day!!!

monitoring diligently my carbs, sugar, fibre, has been hard but i am never hungry actually and feel WAY better every day.

because the brain isnt running its hormones itself i am managing their presence by integreting them manually into my bloodstream through my digestive system by their presence in what foods i eat. It works, but of course if you dont stay on top the system crashes and we all know where that goes...

i drink whipped cream. its a good life.

Well I guess it would depend on the severity. I don't think it's the same thing as the color of your eyes. The more digging I do, I find that my own personal experience with epilepsy is all Metabolic.....not Neurologic.
I'm thankful for the positive attitude of Superman but I agree with MarkyMark sometimes Epilepsy is a symptom of or resrult of Gluten Sensitivity because after 'digging'...there seems to be too many common things with some people and their symptoms and what they are eating and how the food is reacting with metabolism, gut, etc.

I'm still psyched at finding this website and reading all the opinions and advice and support of everybody. I've needed this place for a while and I'm glad I finally found it! :)

I've had seizures since the age of 2 and I've also been the laughing stock throughout high school. I did however have a small group of friends who I trusted and was able to confide in; they protected me from being hurt should anything occur and when certain things were said they stood up and said NO, she is not. So I was bullied quite a bit all because of having epilepsy.

But on a positive note, it actually defined my personality as it gave me a more positive role in how I will focus on doing things throughout my life and how I would view certain people. I ask questions and listen before allowing anyone into my life to protect my family -- it's a reflex. I began speaking in the language that I am accustomed to in business school instead of being casual and laid back. Why, because it keeps me straight and focused. To avoid any feeling of intimidation, my vocal tone stays friendly and full of motivation.

So in essence, this epilepsy is nothing more than bumps in the road that cannot be avoided. In the end, I will be in the winning driver's seat to control my own destiny of a business career and my profitable future. I have found keeping a positive state of mind does wonders for my own benefit as it helps me move forward and obtain my own goals.

Hi Superman,
I like your outlook. I had seizures in high school and everybody looked at me differently after that. In a small school word gets around that someone had a seizure in class. They all gave me this sympathetic look like I was dying or something. Sometimes I wanted to shout: NO! I'M FINE!! I refused to be defined by my condition and went about my life (as normal as possible) despite those looks.
I think epilepsy has made me a more resilient and thankful person. I am thankful for things that others take for granted. I get to see the world differently, like you said, and I think that's a great silver lining.

I say we stand together and "Seize" the day :roflmao:
hahaha! I actually sang in a chorus at my high school graduation that sang that song ("Seize the Day" from Newsies)!! It couldn't be more fitting for us as a community

Back
Top Bottom