Lyrics inspired from epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

skyfire322

Stalwart
Reaction score
My brother and I have been working on an album for a little while now, but because of all of my episodes as of late, that has been been put to a screeching halt.

Anyway, the other night we were talking and I was explaining to him about auras, different types of seizures, what I go through, etc. and it actually inspired us to start writing lyrics about what the body and brain go through.

We don't want to write them in a way where people immediately think "seizure" though. It's a personal subject matter, and want it done tactfully.

Does that sound weird, or do you think that could be bad juju?

There are many songs out there that are wrote about things that you don't realize that's what they are talking about in the song. One of my favorite bands is Dave Matthews. I never knew what his songs were actually about until I've gone to see him and he's talked about it on stage. I just thought they were a normal song but once you know what it's about and listen to the lyrics then it makes sense.

I posted this some time ago. But I think it fits.
This is a modified version of the song " Dream Warriors " by Dokken

"Brain Warriors"

I lie awake and dread the active nights
I feel alone
Wonder if these many pills
Can cure the unknown
When I close my eyes I realize
It'll come my way
I'm shaking in the night alone
Forever whenever

Were the brain warriors
Don't wanna seize no more
Were the brain warriors
And maybe tonight
Maybe tonight they'll be gone

I feel the twitch comin' over me
I can't bear to explain
I hear the voices callin' me
Callin' my name
It's the same each night to feel the pain
That's comin' my way
I'm shaking in the night alone
Forever whenever

Were the brain warriors
Were the brain warriors
And maybe tonight
Were the brain warriors
And maybe tonight

With new meds, the bitter end
This Time
Break the chain of seizures
Bound together hoping for you

Brain warriors
Were the brain warriors
Were the brain warriors
Ain't gonna seize no more
With the brain warriors
And maybe tonight
Brain warriors
Brain warriors, forever
Brain warriors
Brain warriors

Listen to the song as you read the lyrics.
[ame]http://youtu.be/YPDRl1Wwl2o[/ame]

This is a powerful song that I believe gives us a fighting chance. :)

That is amazing! I know too that Prince (who has epilepsy) had written a song about it as well. :)

It's not weird, and it's definitely not bad juju lol

If you were crap at writing lyrics you wouldn't care about clever, subtle lyrics, but you do, so you're obviously not :)

Some of my favourite artists have incredibly difficult lyrics to understand, and I wouldn't like them any other way..

I decided to hand the torch to my brother since he's better with words. I explained to him what I personally go through and also sent him some links.

I ended up writing a song using my EEG waves (during a seizure I had) as the only instruments. :)

A lot of Joy Division songs contain lines about epilepsy. e.g. "lights are flashing/cars are crashing/getting frequent now" from Disorder.

Coincidentally, I'm writing a song about my epilepsy right now. I'm still working on the lyrics, but what I've got so far is:

Working Title: Lux Aeterna

The metal casts a bitter shadow on my day
I don’t know whose mistake
The truth and light they say shows you the way
The pallor I can’t take
The final plan I’m told will take my eyes
The purples all away
Whose plan is that for which all voices die?
What can they never say?

I will not dare to fly so high
I will not dare to cling to lust
Memories so frail and light
I must not venture there
I do not care to try to die
I cannot spare the time to fuss
Darknesses all tend to white
I feel I’m going there

I am not fit to live on high
I do not have the strength to try
Darknesses all tend to white
I feel I’m going there

Skyfire322 ..how is the song coming along? I think you should try writing lyrics. There's no wrong way to describe it, because it is so personal.

Skyfire322 ..how is the song coming along? I think you should try writing lyrics. There's no wrong way to describe it, because it is so personal.

Not too bad, even though I've only written four lines since my original post. My biggest problem is that (as silly as it sounds) it's emotionally and mentally taxing.

On a side note, here's the song I wrote using only my brainwaves during a seizure they captured on an EEG (no actual instruments were used. It's ALL from my brain. :) )

https://soundcloud.com/skyfire322/complex-partial

Back
Top Bottom