Nervous about returning to work

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

skyfire322

Stalwart
Reaction score
Since my inpatient EEG I've (I hate to use this word) only had two or three seizures, compared to the seven or eight I was having every week, so things are settling down at the moment.

I saw my neurologist yesterday, and he gave the OK for me to return to work. The whole appointment was a little unsettling, especially when I brought work up. I explained to him that my short term disability claim was closed, and that long term would be denied, since I have a pre-existing condition.

He was silent at first, and sounded a little hesitant when he said I could go back part time to, in his words, "test the waters" until my next appointment with him, which is a couple days before Christmas.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I'm able to get back to work. I'm nervous though, because I think that work stress is a big trigger for me (I work at a credit union call center). And with the holidays just around the corner, stress levels always go through the roof.

He did refer me to a psychiatrist, and yet again changed on my diagnosis which makes things more difficult for me.

How frustrating -- it sounds like your neuro doesn't really know how to help with the big picture, i.e. how your health is affected by your work and vice versa.

Since stress is a big trigger for you, do you have "proactive" plans for heading it off? It can help if you take a few planned 5-minute breaks just to rest your eyes and brain and focus on your breathing. It would be ideal if you could do that throughout the day, but if work doesn't allow for that, then schedule the breaks for first thing in the morning, lunch, end of the work day, and right before bed. Just knowing that you have those "meditation breaks" to look forward too can help prevent the stress from building up.

Another crucial thing is to get a good night's sleep: There are some good basic tips here: http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/sleep-benefits-10/slideshow-sleep-tips One of the most important ones is the first one on the list: "Turn off TVs, computers, and other blue light producers an hour before sleep. Cover any blue displays you can't shut off." The blue light screens affect melatonin levels and mess with your sleep as a result.

Good luck! I hope your seizures are kept at bay, and that you are able to summon an "oasis of calm" in the midst of any and all stress.

Skyfire, The only thing I can say is to watch out for yourself, cause no one else will! When I was working, it was very stressful and I could not take any breaks. My problem was that I tried to do everything myself. I don't know your work environment but try to relegate, if you can.
Good Luck!
M

Hi, I've barely been at work since March so I understand your worries-I had the same. I'm not sure how accommodating your company is but are you able to see an Occupational Therapist? They're really good at assessing your needs and putting in place a plan so you can return to work at a pace that won't harm you.

I do understand the stress of call centres- I worked in that environment for many years. You need some sort of official paperwork advising that you need to take more regular breaks and to return back to work with 'phased in' hours. Can you ask your Neuro to write a letter for for you, that may carry some weight.

Good luck :)

Thank you all for your support!

I just wanted to give you an update on everything. Today is my first day back, after a week of attempting to get in touch with HR. Even though they had already received all proper documentation stating I could return to work the day I saw my neurologist, they are considering the time between when my short term disability ran out and now an "unscheduled absence" which counts against me. This would be my third strike due to my condition, which means I could lose my job.

It stinks because I received an e-mail from HR yesterday stating that "they are still trying to figure out how to work with my schedule." So they dropped the ball, and are passing the blame onto me. Needless to say, I've printed and documented all communication between management, HR, and I on the off chance I do lose my position.

I understand how you feel. I'm having a disciplinary in a few days due to all my sick days. Just cover yourself and keep on top of your documentation. Keep chasing up HR too. Good Luck and fingers crossed.

I was sent home early today, as I was having auras. I couldn't even finish a four hour shift. I haven't had any full blown episodes in the past week or two, but I've been having migraines constantly. Not sure if it's photosensitivity, or what. A little concerned now :\

Go see your GP just in case. It could be the lighting, computers the hustle and bustle of people that are overloading your senses. I know how you feel though. I managed my first full day at work today. It was so hard. But anyway, go see your Doc.

I hope you are able to get back to work Skyfire. Do you wear sunglasses at work -- that might help if eyestrain is contributing to your migraines and auras. And make sure to drink plenty of water, esp. while on the Zonegran.

Back
Top Bottom