A New Horizon?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Tia Maria

New
Reaction score
So I was like a week away from doing my driving test *insert seizure here* good bye car for at least 12 months. At 23 this is the most annoying thing ever. I feel my whole being regressing back to that stroppy misunderstood 14 year old who "hates life indefinitely" haha!

I was just wondering what should I do with the money I won't be spending on lessons?? It was £160 a month. I'm putting a pretty little bow on this situ so I have £160 per month now, maybe I should get a new "epilepsy safe" hobby haha.

Did you guys take up a new challenge to feel less deflated. I think I'm scared I'll be "that girl with epilepsy" rather than "that girl who can *insert talent here*. This, for me personally, will give me something to focus on and work at and be quite cathartic in coming to terms with my diagnosis.

Any suggestions?! I want something challenging, unique and just awesome!

That sucks...did a doctor or someone else witness the seizure??

I recently got into an unrelated-to-e car accident and I can't drive either...and I've been there before. I got into exercise, coding, and Spanish to deal with the stagnant parts of the day; along with a lot of good books! When e throws up a roadblock, I try to do whatever I can to be strong enough after it's gone.

Good luck!

Hmm, could you buy a snazzy bike? (I know, not exactly epilepsy safe, but perfectly legal).
Or:
Italian lessons
Get a nice new digital camera and take it out for a spin.
Learn to DJ
Learn to play the guitar. Or ukelele.
Make an animated film.

Or start writing poetry, like I have. Or write your own story.
Plus, I walk/bike ride, weather permitting.
And the newest thing I started at my age is quilting. Very time consuming.

I think exercise and music would be great hobbies. This is a good chance for me to try something new ^^

I vote for the exercise - nothing like getting the body pumping those natural endorphins and getting fit and healthy at the same time! If your seizures occur without a warning, though, stick to body weight exercises that are near the ground (like pushups, squats, plank, etc. etc.) and/or with mats around in case you collapse or fall. At least until things are under better control again. Probably the safest thing for cardio if you have no warning of a seizure is supervised riding of a recumbent bike. Don't forget that overdoing exercise can sometimes be a seizure trigger for some people, so start off gradually esp. in the cardio department. Have fun!!

Back
Top Bottom