relapse (venting/ranting)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mylo

New
Reaction score
as of late i've become severely emotionally drained. i've no motivation anymore, no drive for living. and just at the worst time possible... i graduate from high school next week. i've no idea what to study, haven't applied for financial aid, nothing.

i simply go to school, take my adhd meds (i went cold turkey off my AED, valium, because my mother didn't fill the prescription for a few days), and remain my isolated, self. i'm doing great in school, amazing grades, especially since i started taking my ritalin again, however it comes with one side effect, i have this INSANELY scary borderline psychotic effect where i feel like there's an evil aspect to everything. it also kills my emotions (typical adhd response to ritalin, whereas if i was normal i'd be high as a kite).

unfortunately this isn't true of it's distant cousin, dextroamphetamine. it just so happens my sister loves popping vyvanse (basically a slow release form of dex) for work and she gave me a couple, so i popped 2 x 30 mg and here i am, in the greatest, most productive mood i've been in since 3 years ago when i was a habitual adderall abuser (i picked a day or 2 out of the week to drop massive doses of speed).

the one thing i notice is that it's antidepressant effect goes hand in hand with it's empathogenic effect. i don't get that effect from ritalin (i don't get any effect from ritalin other than the paranoia/psychotic depression and concentration).. i wonder if maybe a serotoninergic med is what i need. i'd discuss this with my doc, but he's a simple "no questions asked" doctor at a walk in clinic in mexico, and unfortunately they don't have any commercial brands of amphetamines in mexico, ritalin seems to be their wonder-drug..

i've been on every SSRI they prescribe around here and none of them worked. they all made me extremely uncaring and unemotional, like ritalin, just not nearly as bad, however they can be dangerous seeing as i don't pay attention to anything while on the stronger ones such as zoloft, i'd even walk across the street without checking whether any cars are coming, etc.

guess all i can do is wait to see if i'm covered by insurance this year so i can try to switch from ritalin (a reuptake inhibitor) to a more "monoamine releaser" type of medication like adderall.

as for the AEDs, i have to stay away from them... they may ease my anxiety (i don't have seizures, just anxiety apparently) but i'm convinced valium started me down this depressive/unmotivated path...

Milo...I'm sorry you are struggling. I feel your pain and have always hoped the best for ya. I am looking forward to you getting insurance so you can find a doctor in the states who will listen to you and find the meds that work for you. You need to find the med that works for you with minimal side effects. Keep on keeping on and try to find your happy place during this time. I know it's hard, but it's a conscious choice to see the positives and continue to fight through it. You can and will succeed....and congrats on graduating high school with good grades! What an accomplishment :)

Back
Top Bottom