sad !

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
So, I looked at another forum, not to get away from here, but just to see what's on offer and so on. So, it is called (edited- let's not upset our neighbors). It is similar to this, had a quick snoop around. But then, really sad, you can't join unless you have epilepsy. No spouses or parents like here. I say "Thanks but no Thanks" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I stay where I am and where I am wanted, if you have me, that is...beg beg beg beg beg............!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to delete this thread but I went to the site you suggested and their restrictions are very unreasonable in my opinion too. It's best not to name names and causing a ruckus with our fellow E site, however examining site restrictions and discussing them is a fine idea.

Would you sign up to a place who has such stringent rules? One that wants your name and address?

Not me.

i don't think i would sign up for a sight if it required such personal info. Also (in my own opinion) i like this site BECAUSE i can almost get a clue as to what my family must be going through... I know I have a hard time dealing with E, but i see that my family must have a hard time as well. And yes i think that we want you here Anja :)

Name and Address???

What happened to privacy laws? If it isnt used for anything, then why need it? I just took a look at my site to make sure that I didnt have anything on there that would require people to sign up like that, and luckily I dont.

Hmm... granted it makes sense that someone would make sure that you have a connection to epilepsy before you join. But making it so that only people with epilepsy can join is silly unless you have a sister site where you only allow caregivers or family of people with epilepsy. This way if 2 people in the same household want to vent about each other the other person doesnt see it.

I was going to delete this thread but I went to the site you suggested and their restrictions are very unreasonable in my opinion too. It's best not to name names and causing a ruckus with our fellow E site, however examining site restrictions and discussing them is a fine idea.

Would you sign up to a place who has such stringent rules? One that wants your name and address?

Not me.

I'm sorry, didn't think about naming the site. I fully understand and accept the reason, and thank you for not deleting the post, just editing it. I'm grateful !

Yet another reason the CWE party is the best on the block. We have the widest variety of guests, all with great insights and stories to share.

CWE has been vital to me learning what I need to know, both to help and understand my partner. Things would suck big sulphurous eggs if I hadn't been allowed to join and ask questions and discuss what everyone here has to offer.

Yes, occd, same here ! Ok, Colin and I joke a little around, but there are so many useful and serious aspects here, I wouldn't wanna miss. If you need support, I will find it here. Just because I don't personally suffer from E, does not mean I don't need advice and support at times, have question seeking answers !

I just find it incredibly strange to hvae something like your address ne required before you join!!

Message boards gain members by their own merits. If you only allow those who suffer and their caregivers, you won't have too many members. Why kill your own site like that? I wonder if they have a problem with /b/tards posting flashing and vile images?

Back when CWE was first launched, there were very few independent epilepsy discussion forums around of any size or activity. The few large, active forums were all associated with non-profit groups and/or doctors/medical institutions. As such, they had (still have to some degree) some peculiar (to my thinking) rules and requirements.

With respect the forum Dragongiraffe was complaining about, you weren't around back in the days when hooligans where actively targeting epilepsy forums. There was a movement to improve security in most forums and the way it was handled varied wildly. I like to think that CWE implemented the most common sense and least intrusive measures, but I would, since I implemented them. :ponder:

The uber draconian method employed by Dragongiraffe's forum of interest was likely also designed to help curb other forum problems as well, but IMO, that's where a good moderating team makes a world of difference.

Every forum has it's own "voice". Some are more serious, some are more chatty, some are more regulated/controlled. I (and the moderating team) tried to fashion a place here where most everyone felt welcome in discussing most any aspect of epilepsy in relative anonymity.

what are /b/tards??? is that a typo? or a way to not swear?

/b/tards come from a part of the internet that is so NOT like anything most people know about.
They have a saying, "What is seen cannot be unseen" Believe me when I say, no one here wants to go where /b/tards play.

I find

it very sad that a board would be that nosy. I wouldn't join them for anything, and hopefully no one else would, either. I'd be afraid of what would happen to my personal information....

So, I looked at another forum, not to get away from here, but just to see what's on offer and so on. You can't join unless you have epilepsy.

I have a silly question which maybe Bernard or one of the other moderators can answer for me.

With epilepsy forums where you need to have epilepsy to join the forum how do the moderators know the person really has epilepsy?
Would they have a serious of questions set out (eg - when did seizures start, what type of seizures)?

Very interesting article. I knew a guy about ten years ago that was arrested for hacking into the fbi site. Havn't seen or heard of him since. A company my bother worked for had someone come in for a computer job. This applicant was told the company had protection from outsiders and he was not needed. This applicant left a message the next morning on the companies site stating he got in or something of that matter. Seems like an new way of applying for work. Disturbing to me the lack of empathy and ethics. Like my 97 year old grandmother told me the world has always had these type of people. It is nothing new.

Back
Top Bottom