What would it take to make you happy?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

A lot of things bring me happiness already. :) It would of course be awesome if epilepsy took a hike and if all my friends and family were supremely healthy and joyful. And while we're at it, world peace, etc. etc. What would I change? :ponder: Since I'm single at the moment, finding the right partner in crime would be swell -- but does my happiness depend on it? Nah. I do think it would be nice to have the opportunity to turn back the clock (say 16 years or so -- I'm not greedy), so I could try out some different life choices AND have fewer wrinkles/grey hair while I'm at it.

I'm pretty happy overall, I would say. There are always things in life that are frustrating, sad, annoying, whatever, but on the whole there is not a lot I would change. I'm happy that I have clean water to drink and take a shower in, happy that I have enough to eat, a house, clothes, etc. The epilepsy is frustrating and it would please me if my vns worked better, (or worked at all, with no side-effects!), the various aches and pains of aging are a little annoying, but there really is still not a lot I would actually change. I'm OK with who I am, where I am, who I'm with and what I do. :)

(I'm also fortunate that I have a crow in my life.)

I've been sick for awhile (a real bummer because I never get sick). So getting my strength back so I can dance with my horses would make my world a happy place.

Then there's my job which took a serious nose dive into stressville. Getting that back on track would make a lot of people happy.

A change in Attitude is what it took to make me happy, despite my seizures. Happiness is a scientific choice, according to some experts.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/09/scientific-proof-that-you_n_4384433.html
This Is Scientific Proof That Happiness Is A Choice

....... Although our general mood levels and well-being are partially determined by factors like genetics and upbringing, roughly 40 percent of our happiness is within our control, according to some experts, and a large body of research in the field of positive psychology has shown that happiness is a choice that anyone can make. As psychologist William James put it, “The greatest discovery of any generation is that a human can alter his life by altering his attitude."

I am not unhappy.

but something young hot and sweaty, and clean credit report would only make me happier.

and of course like a lot of you, not having a head ache

I am not unhappy.

but something young hot and sweaty, and clean credit report would only make me happier.

and of course like a lot of you, not having a head ache
young hot and sweaty = A puppy?

Last edited:
due to fair housing act laws, I can't define anyone by race creed or religion, which is cool, because I am not all that picky.

A lot of things bring me happiness already. :) It would of course be awesome if epilepsy took a hike and if all my friends and family were supremely healthy and joyful. And while we're at it, world peace, etc. etc. What would I change? :ponder: Since I'm single at the moment, finding the right partner in crime would be swell -- but does my happiness depend on it? Nah. I do think it would be nice to have the opportunity to turn back the clock (say 16 years or so -- I'm not greedy), so I could try out some different life choices AND have fewer wrinkles/grey hair while I'm at it.

^---- Sounds just about right for me too. :)

I would have liked to been able to spend more time with a few family members that I lost too soon. :( They lived so far away it wasn't possible to visit them too often when I was younger. :( It would be great to be able to see the rest of my family more often. :)

Oh, it would be great to have all my outstanding debts cleared (hint win the lottery maybe). :)

What makes me happy?

Clarity of thought and the wisdom to make well thought out life decisions.

Making someone else happy.

Seeing someone who really needs success at something get it.

Being in nature, camping, being on a beach and following spiritual things.

Doing something productive and useful that benefits society.

And lastly and most boringly being careful with finances so misery from debt is minimized or negated.

What would it take to make me happier?

Maybe if we stop buldozing our pristine rainforests to turn into piles Department store junk that is eventually suburban landfill.
We are nicer to farm animals and adopt better practices and ban all factory farms.
We actually do something about fixing global warming instead of talking about it!

I would really be happy if I knew we were leaving something worthwhile for our kids!

Last edited:
That is a very good question. Well life has been pretty good to me but I could still change one or two little things, getting rid of epilepsy would be most important, then the aches and pains of getting older. Other wise things have been fairly good for me.

I Have a lot of health problems and I'd like to see everyone of them go away that would make me very happy my epilepsy,asthma,allergies,heartproblems, and arthritis.

Most of the time I'm happy. I would like the current illness and side effects to end, though. And it's possible that moving to a small town by the sea would add peace to my life. I'm just at a crossroads: easy access to doctors, hospitals and friends, or serene village life.

Personally, I'm in a really dark place right now so I don't have an answer. It'd be nice to not be in limbo one way or another regarding my career or life. I wish I didn't have to conceal my condition to keep my job, license, friends and any woman who isn't a caregiver in my life. Very scary to regress socially even though you've done everything to earn it and you don't get a disabled discount.

I also wish I didn't have obviously unrealistic standards to my life that are cut

If you're having uncrontrolled seizures, you should not be driving. For the safety of others as well as yourself.

I get it's dark, but you need to start re-assessing your life, and factor in the epilepsy. Get treatment. Deal with it, don't deny it.

There's no reason why you shouldn't have normal relationships because of the E. It won't matter to anyone that loves you.

Believe it or not, many of us here have normal relationships and hold down a job. Even if we can't hold down a regular hours full-time one, we move on to a job where we control the hours and can work from home when we need to.

I gave up a great but massively stressful IT job. But I will do IT consulting from home in the future.

I'm happy :)

- Get rid of this illness forever
- *Kill this body and wake up in a different dimension where this illness can be fixed
- **Kill this body and wake up in a different dimension where this illness is better understood & tolerated
- ***Kill this body and wake up in a different dimension where this illness is better tolerated

*,** & *** - I don't mean suicide. Just waking up like any other day but you know something is different since you remember yourself from the previous dimension.

Last edited:
To finally be rid of epilepsy, to have my Mother back healthy and happy, to have better confidence in myself, a better body would work too ;-), and to be able to drive with a great job.

Back
Top Bottom