Non-medical Treatment for Epilepsy (Cleveland Clinic open chat 1/19/09)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bernard

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
The Cleveland Clinic Epilepsy Center is hosting a free online health chat on epilepsy from noon to 1 p.m. Monday, January 19th. During this one hour chat Imad Najm, MD, Director of Epilepsy Center will answer questions from patients regarding management and non-medical treatment options for patients living with epilepsy.

Register for the chat at:

http://www.clevelandclinic.org/health/chatreg/najm.html

:bump:

Also blogtalkradio is going to host a program Wednesday night with Dr. Steven Schacter:
Complementary Therapies for Epilepsy
Wednesday, January 14, 2009 at 8:00-9:00 p.m. ET

Persons with chronic health problems often use alternative or complementary therapies, but the effectiveness, safety and risks of these approaches are often not fully known, especially for persons with epilepsy. Please join Dr. Steven Schachter to discuss Complementary Therapies for Epilepsy. Dr. Schachter is a Professor of Neurology and Director of Research, Department of Neurology, Harvard Medical School and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and President of the American Epilepsy Society.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/epilepsy/2009/01/15/Complementary-Therapies-for-Epilepsy

That is the crux of the issue I raised recently with the AAN. Neurobehavioral therapy, EEG Neurofeedback and, to a lesser extent, diets can be tried without any safety issues or fears of adverse events. The same can't be said for conventional treatments (drugs, surgeries).

But trying something without risks of side effects would cut down on sales $$$, of drugs to treat the side effects! Why would a conventional doctor advise treatment that could make you well, and make the doc unnecessary?

Zoe,
My doc has let me know that he'd like to be far less of a force in my life. To that end, he encourages me to find unconventional and alternative ways of coping with my seizures. As I've written elsewhere, he's one in a million!

So, did anyone listen to Dr. Schacter's program? He answered a few of my questions. :mrt:

I was there. I enjoyed it. Was interesting and hopeful.

He almost didnt seem too optimistic with herbs.. was odd, I thought.

joan*

Anyone who missed the show live can still hear it by clicking the blogtalkradio link. It might take a moment to fully download before it starts playing.

@Joan -> I think he was just being cautious.

Back
Top Bottom