Stabenow Amendment - Health Care Reform Bill

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Shelley

Veteran
Reaction score
The e-mail came to me from efa.org
Don't know if anybody else got this e-mail, or if the senators are going to even listen. But, for what it's worth.

"URGENT: Call your Senator on Senate Finance Committee Take Action!

Oppose Stabenow Amendment #D10

URGENT: As you know, medication switching is a serious concern for people with epilepsy. There is currently an amendment to the Senate Finance Committee's Health Care Reform Bill that would seek to attack the critical patient protections that have been created for people with epilepsy and other conditions where substitution has been a problem.

The Senate Finance Committee is now holding hearings on the Health Care Reform measure and it is crucial that you call your Senator who serves on the Senate Finance Committee urging her/him to oppose the Stabenow Amendment #D10 and to remove it before reporting the bill out of committee.

Please contact, and have key advocates, board members or volunteers also contact your Senator's office. Chances are you will not be able to speak directly with your Senator so please ask to speak with their Health Legislative Assistant, Legislative Director or Chief of Staff."

If anyone has been following the health care reform debate, and know what amendment they are talking about, please elaborate.

Shelley

Last edited:
Thanks Shelley, that link's a helpful resource.

more from efa.org

Dear Shelley,

I am writing about two important issues: Epilepsy Awareness Month and health care reform.

November is Epilepsy Awareness Month and we are working to educate our elected leaders about the need to find a cure, better treatments and to end discrimination. Please visit our Online Action Center and send an email to help spread the word! It's quick, easy and makes a big impact!

Now, onto health care reform. This week the House of Representatives passed the most ambitious overhaul of the U.S. health care system in 40 years. Key provisions of the bill include...

• An end to pre-existing condition exclusions.
• Prohibits cancellations of a policy when someone gets sick.
• No/minimal charge for preventative care services.
• A limit on the amount of "out of pocket" expenses you pay each year.
• No lifetime or yearly caps on your insurance coverage benefits.
• Elimination of the "doughnut hole" in Medicare prescription drug coverage.

The bill also ...

• Requires all individuals to purchase health insurance beginning in 2013.
• Provides subsidies to help families pay for insurance coverage.
• Creates health insurance exchanges where you can shop for coverage.
• Provides a public, government-run insurance plan option in the exchanges.
• Requires large employers to provide or help pay for employees coverage.
• Expands eligibility for Medicaid and improves long-term care coverage.

The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) estimates that the bill will reduce the federal deficit by $104 billion over 10 years. This is due to spending reductions and tax increases in the bill. The CBO also estimates the gross cost of the bill would be almost $1.1 trillion. You can read more specifics about the bill at http://energycommerce.house.gov.

The Senate is now working to pass a health care bill before Christmas. There are major differences between the House bill and those currently being considered in the Senate. Once the Senate acts, its bill must be merged with the House version, reapproved, and sent to President Obama for his signature.

I hope you will take a moment to visit our Online Action Center and help raise awareness of epilepsy and the need to find a cure, better treatments and an end to discrimination. It's quick, easy and makes a big impact! Please contact me if you have any questions or comments. Many thanks.

--
Joseph LaMountain
Director of Grassroots Advocacy
Epilepsy Foundation
Landover, MD
http://capwiz.com/efa/issues/

Feel free to put in your two cents worth.

Last edited by a moderator:
We definitely can't afford this bill right now. Why are they in such a hurry? Where is all this bipartisan hunky dory love that Obama promised? I don't want a bureaucrat's finger in my pills! :sw:

efa and AARP

These two are on the bandwagon. Maybe write them and put in your two cents worth?

Last edited by a moderator:
Received the same email. Am considering writing a response.

I received the e-mail as well. I wonder if the AMA will still support this bill with that amendment. I can't believe the majority of doctors would agree with the substitution issue. I will have to read it closer. Some of the clauses in the bill allow states to set modified terms. If that is the case, Ohio has finally put some safeguatrds in place to protect us from substitution.:twocents:

Among the provisions in this "reform" bill will be a $2500 cap on Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs). The IRS allows families with special needs children to use FSAs to cover educational expenses. This new $2500 cap will hit these families especially hard and cost them hundreds of dollars in new taxes every year.

:agree:

My insurance does not cover my 'non-preferred' brand name meds as well as generic or approved, but I agree that I am not leaving my brand name phenytek/dilantin. Cost me $270 per 90 days versus $37.50. Could be a lot worse though. It also keeps me employed like you said.

Robin - lots of hiddens in this bill. That is one of the big ones. I had $3500 in my flex this year. Amounts over $2500 are not at all uncommon. This is really wrong in my eyes since any leftover money in a flex account is surrendored to the IRS. You could get taxed on money you never use.

Now, I may have to give up my mansion, personal toys like my 50 foot yacht, jet, helicopter, mansion and summer vacation condo with the personal chauffeur who takes me to them in my triple length luxury limousine just so I can buy my meds.

Back
Top Bottom