Looking ahead to surgery, but fear is setting in.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

It must be a great feeling Bigman not having crappy seizures, I'm happy for you.
Its also great to read you are trying improve your health with exercise.

Do you have an ideal weight goal? Fitness is more than just about exercise..*** having an activity with a second motive*** means you're likely to stick with it. eg I alternate with jogging in the local neighbourhood and gym. I do an hour and try to mix it up. I don't go overboard and its about variety in working differing parts of the body. Boxing, squats and kettlebells, treadmill and sit-ups.
Another thing, exercise makes you hungry watch the diet and do what works for you.

Maybe you want to do a charity run, martial arts or self defence?? as some future purpose, these activities require constant discipline and it can involve buddying up with other like minded people.. so that you are not bored with doing solo exercise.

Just suggestions...

Well according to the so called expert "BMI charts" someone my height 6'2" should weigh somewhere between 195-215lbs. :( Each one I've checked has a different weights.
But to be realistic, my goal would be about 225lbs. Another 15lbs, I think I can do it.

I've never been a good jogger, and having IBS makes it worse. I'd rather walk on the treadmill any day. I'd like to go to another gym if I could. But location, travel, and costs all
play a role in that. I've considered martial arts before, but the same issues prevent that for now. :( I'd try Aikido, Kempo, or Tae Kwon Do if I could. I've been shaking up my
workout routines on and off. IE: Changing length, equipment used, etc.

I've been trying to keep a balanced diet as possible. But IBS is the fly in that ointment. lol

Thx, :)

BM

Hi Bigman;
I've learned that BMI charts are not very accurate for those over 6 ft, and for those over 6'2" they shouldn't even be used. Instead it is recommended that taller people (in fact anybody who wants true accuracy) should rely on body fat measurements where calipers are used for skin/fat fold measurements over various areas of the body, and the numbers are used in various formulas to determine lean vs. fat body mass, what goals for fat loss should be, etc. You can get these measurements done professionally by a personal trainer (go to one experienced with doing these measurements as it takes practice to do them right) or you can even get the calipers yourself at a fitness supply store. If you have the $$ you can purchase the ACE (American Council on Exercise) training manual and this should have various charts in it as well as give you a good basis from which to design your own exercise programs. It's about $90 on amazon.com for the 2015 edition, but I doubt there would be much difference from the 2014 one if you can find a used copy somewhere.

Eighteen months and going strong. :)

"Roll On (Eighteen Months)"

Roll on highway, roll on along
Roll on BIGMAN till you get back home
Roll on families, roll on crews
Roll on CWE like I asked you to do
And roll on eighteen months, roll on. (roll on.)

[ame]http://youtu.be/fYtJIFVxQXY[/ame]

No seizures in site, just a few headaches. If I can get
a hold of my IBS, then I'd feel a lot better.

My 12 year old just had the surgery on Tuesday and hopefully getting out tomorrow. Just need to wait now and see over time if it's had any success

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hopefully your child's surgery is a success. It is a rough road ahead, but you can do it. :)
You just need to take one day at a time. Keep positive.

So far things have been quiet, and seizure free.

I decided to take a road trip to the mall.

12/13/15 - I went to see Santa at the mall.

Bigman: Hey Santa, how are you doing?
Santa: Very well, what would you like for Christmas?
Bigman: I'd like my friends and family to have a safe and happy Christmas & New Year's!
Santa: What have you been longing for yourself?
Bigman: All I want for Christmas is to stay seizure free.
Santa: Have you been good this year?
Bigman: As good as a can be.
Santa: Then you will be seizure free for Christmas.

Hopefully Santa Claus will come through. :)

Just behave yourself until Christmas... :)

Hey Bigman
Ive been wrassling with my weight ever since I can remember. Also have had IBS for quite a while. One thing that I think has helped me is trying not to eat anything with an additive called carrageenan. You find it in a lot of dairy products-cottage cheese, half & half cream, some yougerts and most all ice creams. I cant for the life of me remember where I read it but they said it is made from red alge so it gets billed as a natural ingredient, supposed to to about the same thing to your innerds as poison ivy would do to your skin. After cutting this ingedient out of the mix, very slowly my irritable bowel started to improve. After about 2-3 months it has settled down completely. I have also noticed after IBS was more in check, seizures have improved. I guess all the poopin was dragging the med levels down to some degree.
This has all just happened recently so not 100% sure that the carrageenan was my IBS trigger, but something has sure changed. Shoot, the whole world started to change after IBS eased up.
I wish I could remember where I read this but I think at some point when I wasnt looking someone took a claw hammer & a pry bar to my memory banks. But as they say, any sissy can make it thru life with a good memory.
Wishin you the best on that weight loss. I think if I could just grow 8 or 9 inches my weight would be just fine. still just a growing lad of 62, just height challenged
Ed

Thx, I'll give it a check. Anything that can help ease the IBS is worth checking. As for dairy itself I've been trying various options to see a benefit. IE: Soy, Goat, Lactaid, Milkwise, etc. So far not much improvement I can notice. It may be that I will have to shift to a 5 small meals diet. :( Which in itself is a real pita if you are out shopping, and bathroom excess is limited.

Hopefully you will also succeed in seizure control, IBS, weight loss.

Do you take any probiotics Bigman?

Besides dietary restrictions it can help your immune system and gut.

Not ATM, but I have added Biotin to my diet. It's supposed to help with hair/skins/nails.

I'm hopeful it will help with the hair.

In the next few months I plan to go see a new gastroenterologist and nutritionist. Hopefully they can help me setup a proper diet to combat my IBS.

Forgive me if you already answered this but have you given going gluten free a try?

I like coconut milk best as an "alternative " milk. And I agree with BA about the probiotics.
Gelatin and gelatinous ways of cooking meat such as soup stock, oxtails, etc. are both really good for the hair/skin/nails and are soothing to the lining of the gut.

Last edited:
I've tried a couple diets like the blood type diet, GARD. But I will need to see a nutritionist
to get a good one set up. I'm willing to go gluten free if it helps. :)

As for milk, I've tried most: 1%, 2%, lowfat, whole, goat, lactaid, soy, almond, coconut, milkwise, etc. I don't really have an issue with milk that I can tell. It's usually what I have with it that's the culprit. IE:

I want to have a bowl of cereal (plain cheerios or rice krispies). First I pour the bowl of cereal, then pour some milk into a glass. Then I add a couple tablespoons of water to the cereal to moisten it. I eat the cereal, then drink the milk. 7 of 10 times I feel fine, and my IBS doesn't bother me.

But if I was to pour the same bowl of cereal and pour milk into it, the total opposite. My IBS flairs up about halfway through the bowl. :(

If you think that's weird, this goes for any cold cereal I eat. Milk mixed in the cereal, IBS hell. :( If the milk is on the side, I'm fine. It doesn't need to be milk. Sometimes I have OJ instead.

Explain what goes on when you check in, and when they prep you for surgery. Tell me about your post-op and recovery time. How long you stayed in the hospital, etc? When
you left the hospital how did you feel? How long did it take for you to fully recover, etc?
How are you now? Did the surgery work? Are you seizure free? Do you still take AEDs?

Please be honest.

I had a temporal lobe removal on the left side in 95; was in hospital for five days afterward; home for a week. As for meds I honestly don't recall what we did. What I do recall for medication is I had taken 14 just as you before surgery was even an attempt at looking at surgery for the last point. The neurosugeon stated to me at the time that is what will happen in most cases before surgery is even considered.

At the time, surgery did seem to slow things down as I the seizures came to a stop then I went to a five year break of where I had none. In essence yes the surgery did work because of what was done.

In my specific case, there was a break through of seizures and yes I still take medication; a low dosage but still AEDs are taken, My seizure case is very unique as I mentioned because seizures started as an infant but I do hope the above information was able to provide you with some helpful information. I wish you the best of luck on your surgery if you decide to go forward with it!

I wish you the best of luck on your surgery if you decide to go forward with it!

Thx, for the info. But as of 12/13/15 I've been 19 months post-surgery. So far seizure free,
and still taking my AEDs.

This thread is still open to post updates, questions, etc.

Hopefully this thread has helped others pondering the surgery route. :)

Whereabouts in your brain is your surgery taking place? All the best with things, you're bound to be uptight and nervous, but regarding pain, there really isn't very much, I had no trouble with either of my operations, do let me know about what I first asked you though, mine was the right Temporal Lobe.

1/13/16 20 months post RTLS. Still seizure free. :) I'm pondering whether I should stick with the Trileptal if I make it to the two-year mark. But as of now I am leaning towards keeping it.

Whoohoo!
Let us know when you have the celebration party. :)

Back
Top Bottom