Looking ahead to surgery, but fear is setting in.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

How did the previous neurologist cause 30 minutes delay? That makes no sense.

IMHO I believe it was a poor attempt at humor. A sly way of saying thanks to my previous
neurologist changing work focus duties, my new neurologist has more patients.

For whatever reason it's a poor way to make a first impression.

Lousy humor indeed. Another sign of the "empathy gap" between doctors and patients.

All The Best To You

Hi there Long time no speak, I've not been to good with my seizures and eyes, but I just saw that you were going for surgery? I thought, unless I'm muddling you up with someone else, that you'd had surgery, it's like me, when I first had it, I would have asked them to put a zipper in if I'd known I was going again a few years later.
Anyway, I hope everything goes well, pleased don't be scared if it is your first time in surgery, I'm not just saying this, but it really didn't hurt, either time, my head just hurts obviously where the incision was made, but painkillers are wonderful things.
Hope all goes well for you, and I'm sure that you will keep in touch with your progress.

All The Best To You
Best Wishes
Elaine

I did have my surgery already. It will be 10 months this Friday. This thread has progressed from learning about the process of surgery, to my progress before, after, beyond surgery. That's why this thread keeps popping up once a month. :)

Hopefully my RTLS is a one and done. So far so good. :)

Thx, :)

3/14/15 10 months and a day without a seizure. :)

I was busy all day yesterday. Went to the gym, several stores, groceries, etc. I was wiped out yesterday evening. I had a nice headache when I got home. :( But after a long nap it went away. Now I can rest for two days before the chaos starts all over again.

Other than that everything is good. Would be great if those magic numbers show up.

What a great way to celebrate Pi-Day BigMan. :)

Thx. :)

My family it getting antsy. They can't wait for the one-year mark to come.

I'm almost there.

I shaved my head and beard completely off before surgery. It's been growing since then. :)
The deal I made them was, one-year after surgery I'd shave(trim) it off.

At the moment I look like Opie from SONS
2qmq0wm.jpg
<-- Opie

WDYT - Should I be a man of my word and trim/shave it? :)

4/13/15 - 11 months seizure free. :)

It's slowly creeping up on me. Everything is still going good.
Still getting to the gym 3x a week, eating as healthy as I can. :)

It's nice to hear from you all!
I have tried so many meds. Almost everything (except marajuana, I refuse). I've dealt with seizures for the past 17 years. I had a Vagus Nerve Stimulator implanted in 2009. Seizures seem to become more and more often. At least once a week. Most often, a cluster of 2 or 3.
Finally decided on surgery. Been doing all the tests for the past year and a half. I go in on May Day for insertion of electrodes for intracranial EEG. Second surgery scheduled for May 8. Depending on info from EEG, we may be doing regular extraction, laser, or implantation of NeuroPace device. Neurosurgeon didn't seem too optimistic about device since VNS didn't di much for me. Seems malformed tissue is located near occipital lobe/ hippocampus. But, not sure how deep. Electrodes will be thread inside brain. I trust this neurosurgeon. One of the best in US. Done 2 other surgeries on me. VNS and intracranial back in 2006. Tech has improved since then, so we think it's time to move forward.

I hope you do well. Better than that, I know you will do well.

I would find out what procedure he is going to do.

Glad that you have the best surgeon.

Keep us updated after the surgery.

Yesterday was my first hair cut in just over a year.

What do you think?
2rggqox.png

5/13/15 :)

Follow me on my 1 year after surgery, and seizure free. :)

Enjoy my musical journey!!

I made it, I'm half way there!
It's my life, I want to make the most of it.

Once I get reacquainted, I'll drive again. :)
Hopefully I will not have anymore bad days caused
by seizures. A year from now I will hopefully feel even better. I wont need to see several doctors.

I'm looking forward to getting off all aeds.
But that's a long term goal for me.
I just want my situation to get better. I
just don't want my condition to get worse.
It would be a wonderful day when my life doesn't revolve around a pill box.
That would be the best feeling I had in a lone time.
Then I will be able to change my career path.
Today should be the continuation of my life without seizures.

One year seizure-free! Congratulations :)

As for the haircut and beard trim: looking good. Just curious, though, why the head shave?

That was the longest my hair has ever been. It was a PITA to wash, and just to hot.

I've been shaving my head 2-3 times a year for the past 8+ years. I kinda missed doing it.
I even went to a fancy barber shop to my haircut done. Normally I'd do it myself, or
I'd have a family member do it. But I wanted a professional to do for the first time after surgery to tell how sensitive the scar area will be.

It didn't bother me one bit. The barber did a decent job, but could have gone a bit closer.
But I think he was being a bit cautious. I was originally planning on getting it shaved bald. He got pretty close with his clippers. So I stuck with that. :)

The barber even tried to talk me out of shaving my hair off.

Barber - Are you sure? You want completely off?
Me - Yes
Barber - Ok, here we go.

Year 1 down, and a (new) lifetime to go! :)

[ame]http://youtu.be/VFa009CgQbk[/ame]

6/13/15 - Baker's Dozen and still going strong!

My PCP said I looked good at my recent appt. If I can drop my last 17-20lbs, then I will be ecstatic. lol :)

Congratulations BIGMAN!! And it sounds like you have been doing some gym workouts? Down to the last 17 -20 lbs is great :)

Thx, :)

I try to go at least 3x a week for 1 & 1/2 hours each time.

Right now I'm hovering between 240-250lbs depending on what scale.
My goal is to get down to 225lbs. :)

Back
Top Bottom