Absence seizures...how many???

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

hootie

New
Reaction score
:giveup::giveup::giveup:My son was diagnosed with absence seizures last December. I thought I understood what was going on but I still feel confused. His first EEG report from November2009 shows "2732 spike detections" in a 48 hour period (actually probably only 44 hours). I only saw 2 seizures during that time (before meds were started). His last EEG report from May, after taking 125 mg depakote three times a day, shows 581 spike detections during the 24 hour EEG (probably more like 20 hours). Only one seizure seen during that time.

Does this mean that he is actually having that many seizures per day even if I am not seeing him "space out"???

How many spike detections are other people with kids (with absence seizures) seeing on the EEGs???

I have increased his meds by 125mg since the last EEG. The doc wants him to take 250 mg more than that. I just want the seizures to go away without meds!!!!!

I know diet can be a factor...but when you have a kid with autism and multiple food allergies (rice, nuts, peanuts, eggs, corn, soy, beans, stone fruits, etc), the pantry is already quite bare...AAAAAAKKKKKKK!!! He used to be gluten and casein free along with the above-free. He reacts to alternative foods as well (quinoa, amaranth, millet, etc). He actually did better when we removed the rice and potato from his diet. He can eat potato again and the gluten and casein does not seem to bother him (maybe causing seizures???).

Maybe just a vent...but how am I supposed to change an already limited diet??????????:huh::huh::huh::sad::sad::sad:

When I had my EEG, it showed spike-and-wave pattern on it too- it doesn't mean you had an actual seizure but its a sign that the person has Epilepsy.
Some people with Absence seizures can have 20-100 or so a day, sometimes more than that.
I have complex partial seizures and without meds, I would have 1-20 a day of my shorter ones (45sec) to 1-3 CP (1-3min) several times a month.

Usually most of us do have spike-and-waves even if a clinical seizure doesn't happen or isn't seen.
You can ask your neuro too and they might be able to answer the question better than me LOL..

Take care
Crystal

Thanks!

I think we as patients/parents sometimes answer the questions better than the docs.

I guess it is just bothering me that I am giving him these meds and I am still seeing the absence seizures...just as many as before he was getting the meds. On paper, the spikes are decreasing...BUT....581...UGH! It still seems pretty alarming. I am sure this is interfering with his already slow learning.

I guess this is just hard for me because I really don't like medication and I hold the opinion that SOMETHING is causing the seizures. If only I could figure out what the something is, I could take that away and wean him off the meds. I WANT TO KNOW WHAT IS CAUSING THE SEIZURES (do I sound a little frustrated???)!!

Back
Top Bottom