Daughter Diagnose with Absence Seizure

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jims77

New
Reaction score
Hi.

My 6 year old daughter was diagnosed with absence seizure (happening 3-5 seconds less than 10 times a day). She suffer convulsions due to fever from 1 to 4 years of age, the neurologists told us that her convulsions "upgraded" to absence seizure.

The EEG result showed (brief):

...Clinical correlates noted are blank stares and stiffening of the extremities, There were also sudden bursts of sharps coming from the right temporo-central area. The focal discharges did not show any clinical seizures. Movement and electrode artifacts are seen. PS elicited minimal BODR. HV did not elicit a significant built up in the BA...

Our neuro prescribed valproic acid (aleztip syrup). She is then scheduled to have blood tests and MRI in the coming weeks. The neuro told us that there are side effects of the med like liver damage. After searching over the internet I read that there are a lot of side effects of valproic acid and I am confused whether I should give our daughter the drug or go naturally.

I am afraid to give the valproic acid as it may cause more damage than the benefits. However I am reluctant to go for alternative bec her case might get worsen.

What is your opinion?

Thank you.

Jim

This forum is a great help.

My son has absense seizures and he is on valproic acid. He tends to tolerate it pretty well and for him, it provides pretty good seizure control (8 weeks and counting). His worst side-effect is sleepiness, and memory-loss/spaciness. We're on the brand-name, extended release version. We went with the medication first, to make the seizures stop, to buy us a little breathing room so we can start experimenting with natural alternatives to medicine.

He'll be starting his neurofeedback sessions on Tuesday and I'm looking for ways to improve what he's eating. I always thought we ate well, then I talked to someone who knows way more than me on the ingredients found in foods and the affect they can have on our health.

The only thing I have to say about this medicine is to get his blood levels checked within a week after starting a new dose. We increased his dose and it brought his valproic levels higher than normal, which caused him to become extremely lethargic for 2 days, then hyperactive and generally out of his mind for the next 3 days before we realized his dose was too high.

One day, I hope to get him off this medicine for good, but for now, it keeps him stable while we explore other alternatives.

Unfortunately, all the anti-seizure drugs have side effects. But there's now way to predict how they'll affect any given individual -- what works for one person might not work for another. And two people can have quite different experiences with side effects in terms of kind and degree.

Your best bet is to keep track of how your daughter feels, express any concerns to the doctor, and find out what your options are for changing meds if necessary. In addition you might want to look at other approaches to controlling seizures, such as diet and neurofeedback, to see if they might be of help.

lindinig:
How old is your son?

My daughter has already started to take the med. I am a little worried of the side effects you mentioned because she will taking the med before going to school. What time does he take the med? I wonder if the med can be taken in the afternoon instead of the morning.

Nakamova:
Yes. I am also looking for alternatives. Its a sad thing that when I asked our neuro if diet is to be considered to prevent the seizure she said that its not related.

I already made a lot of research for foods (diet) that can control the seizures. However, organizing those information is also a challenge as it it comes from different sources. I read in other websites that increase in fish oil supplements and omega-3 rich foods can prevent the seizures. Any experienced on this?

Thank you for your replies. Its a great help.

Hi Jim,

My son just turned 13. He takes his depakote at around 8 p.m. It's the extended release version, so it slowly releases the medicine throughout the day. I'm also concerned about the side-effects with long-term use, that's why I'm looking into alternatives.

RobinN is a member here who has successfully treated her daughters seizures through nutrition, neurofeedback, and supplements. She is not on any medicine.

I talked to a holistic doctor this past week who gave me some really good information on the chemicals in foods that can trigger anything from stuffy noses to seizures. He told me I should be shopping purely organic, and stay away from food colorings (red #40 has been none to trigger adhd). I have read that fish oil is good for brain health, so I may be adding that to his regimen once I get more information about the proper dose.

There is absolutely NO downside to making nutritional changes. A doctor that told you it is unrelated is simply incorrect. Will it stop your daughters seizures? One can't know until one tries. Will it be an instant fix as a med might be? No.

The more I research the more I find that many of our modern day illness and neurological issues, are due to what we consume. Some without our knowledge, most that we knowingly use. Confusion as to what is healthy and what isn't is also a problem. We haven't evolved very far from our ancestors, and yet we daily assault our systems with chemicals, additives, etc that we were never meant to consume.

Laboratory tests don't always tell us the answers, even though the medical community wants to make us think they do. We continue to rely on them, and follow the wrong path. I can't tell you what to do, but I think your instincts are leading you in the right direction. I regret now, allowing my daughter to be put on the rollercoaster of drug therapy. It threw our lives out of control. Our first doctor told me that hormones and diet played no role. Why he didn't know the truth is beyond me. He continues to have a room full of followers looking for answers. Your daughter is still young, you have nothing to lose by making lifestyle changes. You won't know until you try.

By the way.... welcome to CWE.
I apologize for getting up on my soapbox, however it can be a lonely place at times, going against the status quo. Thankfully there is wonderful support here.

Thanks for sharing your experience RobinN.

My daughter is already on the 5th day of valproic acid and dosage will be increased on the 7th day after the blood testing. It will be a big challenge for us to make our nutritional lifestyle specially MSG is an integral part of the 'cooking ingredient' of our culture. My daughter is beginning to ask as to why she can't eat junk foods while her peers can eat whatever they want.

Its a pity that doctors are at times closed minded from the information or experiences by patients. Its a good thing that there are forums like CWE that shares and support each other.

Thank you all for your replies.

Dear Jims77,

Welcome to the forum. My son has yet to receive a diagnosis so I can't help with respect to your specific question. I think we are all concerned about the side effects. Just remember that you need to do what you are most comfortable with and do not be afraid to ask questions and seek alternatives. There is no downside to changing diet and lifestyle and the whole family can benefit from healthier eating.

Keep us posted on your daughter's progress.

Back
Top Bottom