Head sweating?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

donnajane

New
Reaction score
Sorry probably a strange question. My little boys head sweats a lot when he's sleeping. It happens more days than not. Doesn't matter what the weather is or what he is dressed in and is often so bad I have to change his sheets as the sweat patch is so big its almost 3 times the size of his head. We have also noticed on days when he is more agitated and clingy he tends to have more intense head sweats. He doesn't have a temperature and the rest of his body is nothing like his head which is litterally soaked. I mentioned this to his Paed and was told some kids head sweat and also mentioned it to Nureo and showed him a photo and his comment was "yuk" in a joking way. It seems like no issue to most I speak too but our Maternal Health Nurse and his GP said they don't find it normal at all, especially the amount. Nureo is still trying to work out whats going on with my little man, who turned 11 months today. Due to the latest change in his "seizures/events" a week ago his Nureo is trying to get him another EEG before Christmas, in the words of the Nureo "just to be safe". Bub is normal but..........
Thanks for reading and comments are much appreciated.
Donnajane.
PS none of my other 2 kids had head sweats at all.

It's not that unusual among infants -- they have a harder time regulating their body temperatures. Toddlers can sweat a ton while they're in the deepest part of their sleep cycle, and can end up soaking wet. Make sure he's comfortable, though. Put him to bed in light cotton clothes and keep the room a little on the cool side. Consider changing the kind of pillowcase he uses, and if he has a waterproof mattress on his bed, you might want to switch that out.

If he also snores or has pauses in his breathing while he sleeps, talk with his pediatrician to rule out sleep apnea. Head sweats can sometimes be a symptom of a gluten allergy. It might be relevant, since there seems to be a link between gluten sensitivity and some seizure disorders. (Some folks who go on a gluten-free diet have found that there seizures are reduced or controlled as a result.)

Thanks for the reply. Bub is already sleeping in light or very little clothing and have traded his matteress protectors to using. Cotton towel under his sheet instead. I will definetly mention the Gluten allergy to his paed as althogu 11months old still on a very restricted diet as intolerant to lots of things. He is seeing an Allergist/gastroeneterologist in Jan as his paed said something in her gut tells her his seizure and food intolereances are linked somehow. We mentioned this to his nureo and he said he hoped not? Not sure why thouigh. Thnaks again.
Donnajane.

Back
Top Bottom