Hi I'm a newbie, question about Lamictal rash

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Krissymom

New
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a Newbie.

Hi to everyone. I don't have much time rite now so I will make this brief and talk more later.

My son is 6 now and in 1st grade. He was DX with Complex-Partial Seizures in Pre-k 4.
He has been on Trileptial since the DX, this medication has been upped from the very beginning, b/c after about 4 months the dose just did not seem to work any more.

Now his new Neuro has put him on Limictal, 5mg (2 x a day) for 2 weeks then 10mg (2 x a day). So now he is only on day 10 and has a rash. It looks like little bumps all over his body (NOT ON THE NECK, FACE OR SCALP)
They kinda looks like heat bumps, not red or blotchy. He HAS had these bumps before b/c of dry skin. I'm going to call his Neuro 1st thing in the morning.
He is also on Clanazapam .25mg (only at night)

Here is a breakdown of all his current DX:
Epilepsy....Complex Partial Seizures
ADHD
ODD (Oppositional Defiant Disorder)
OCD
Night Terrors since the age of 2, use to be severe, now they aree only a few times a week, they look like seizures now.
Lyme Disease ( I passed this on to him in-utero. and my son have both tested CDC positive from IdGeneX.
He is on an extensive treatment plan for the Lyme.

So my real question's are:
1. Could he have a rash from the Limictal in just 10 days?
2. I have read about Ring Chromosome 20 Syndrome and b/c of his EEG's and behavior this explains him perfectly. Could he have this?

Thank u all for reading and responding to this post.

In His Name,
Krissy

Last edited by a moderator:
contact your doc asap!

Hi Krissymom,

You have to contact your doctor right now!
Lamictal rash is a potential dangerous side effect.
It indeed occurs usually in the first days the med was taken.
If the rash is caused by Lamictal, he has to stop this med asap.
Only reduce meds with a scedule from the neurologist, never stop at once by yourself!

See http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/lamictal-rash-allergies-update-6118/

https://www.ring20.org/r20syndrome/index.aspx

http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/epilepsy_ringchromosome

By the way: welcome on CWE!

Last edited:
Hi there

Yes, it is possible, as DutchMom said, to get the rash in just a few days. It is also possible, in some cases for it to wait.

However, I have found a couple of pictures of what it looks like, using Google. There is another thread somewhere in the forum, that has more pictures, too, but right now I can't find it. If I do, I will add it to this one.......

Here are the pictures......

post-a58-

http://www.residentandstaff.com/content/RSP/2007/03/img/RSP200703_f23.jpg

Here, look at this link. You'll find the 2 pictures I listed, plus more....

Lamictal Rash

Thanks 4 the info Ladies.
I brought my son 2 his Neuro yesterday and he said that it was not the Lamictal Rash. It was follicularitis. My son has had this dry skin b4 on his arms and legs b4, but not usually in the summer months especially since we live in Louisiana where it is so humid. However the weather has changed over the past few days to much dryer, not complaining. It feels great.

I'm very pleased that it was not the Lam Rash also for the simple fact that Lam is also a mood stabilizer, which he needs desperately.

My son is currently in Therapy, Cognitive Play Therapy, but he is going to see a Psychiatrist on Sept 15th so we will see if he will change his ADHD meds and and also maybe add something like Abilify for his rapid cycling mood swings. I'm not saying he has Bipolar but the LYME DISEASE has caused him 2 have severe mood swings and just a bad attitude in general.

Blesses,
krissy

You're

more than welcome, always feel free to ask. Hopefully things will work out for your son, soon. It's something that we always hope for as parents.....

I am new also, and I signed on b/c I think I might be having trouble with lamictal too, which is terrible since it is working. I was having myoclonic seizures in my sleep, and after a weekend of EEG/video, I am seizure free.

but...my head is itchy and I am losing hair (as I did on Keppra). I suppose this could be something else, but I am just not sure. Has anyone experienced a lamictal rash on their scalp?? Of course I can't really see my scalp, so I'm not sure if there is actual redness.

and, of course, there is one more issue...I have been told that if you are trying to get pregnant, which I hope to be doing in a year or so, that lamictal is the best drug to be on.

Finally, I saw a post that said that going back and forth b/t generic brands can also cause problems. Is this true? My pharmacist has given me round white pills and pinkish/orange diamond pills; I assume these are different brands, but of course I am not sure.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

thanks!

Unfortunately you can also loose hair on both Lamictal and Keppra, I'm sorry as I know how difficult it is as I too am battling that. Although the Keppra for me was much worse as I ended up with alopecia areata where Lamictal I lost hair slowly and gradually, so it was never so noticeable at least to others. As far as Lamictal and pregnancy I understand both Keppra and Lamictal are in fact the 2 best drugs for pregnancy. The way I understand it generic brands do not work the same and can actually increase seizure activity. I know when I've tried generic they did absolutely nothing for seizure control and made me feel horrible. Be careful with the generic since I know my neuro doesn't allow me to take generic brands. I hope this helped some. Good luck.

What is alopecia areata? On both the keppra and Lamictal I lost (am losing) hair very slowly. I never really lost hair, so the little that ends up in the drain after a shampoo seems like nothing, but it's not. I have thin hair as it is...

I will talk to my doc about generic versus brand name. I also heard that sometimes the hair loss can be stopped by lowering the dose...anyone have experience with this?

In regards

to the generic versus brand name, TommySue....

Both will have the same chemical makeup. HOWEVER....the generic will have a different strength.....anywhere from 80% to 120% of what the brand name is supposed to have. This is a problem because if you consistently get a generic that is only 80%, you are not getting enough of the med in you blood to keep your levels at a safe point.

If you get a generic that is at the 120% level on a consistent basis, then your blood levels can possibly go toxic, and cause other problems within your body.

On the other hand, if you use the NAME BRAND, you are GUARANTEED to get the same amount (100%) of the medicine (Lamictal, for example) that you are prescribed to get, and your blood levels should be exactly where they're supposed to be, barring any major physical damage (major blood loss, etc).

If memory serves me correctly, alopecia areata is where the hair follicles in an area on a person's body open completely up, and no hair grows back. Sometimes, medication can be used to reverse it, especially if it was brought on by another med, but don't quote me on that.

Hope that helps some.......

Meetz
:rock:

PS. Welcome to CWE!!!:bigsmile::bigmouth:

Alpocia Areata is when you actually have bald circle patches. I have quite a few some bigger than others which I'm now getting shots of steroids in my head (in the bald patches) from the dermatologist. Luckily I can still hide them, but at the rate it was going for Keppra and me I think I would've been bald already and I only took the drug for one month at 500 mg. a day. BUT THAT'S ME and it doesn't mean it will happen to you since I've heard many have success on Keppra. The Lamictal I lost hair gradually and from all over my head, no bald patches. It took a while for me to recognize that my hair was in fact thinning out and for a long time no one was believing me until they recognized that my hair was much thinner. I stopped the Keppra myself since my neuro just told me to keep on it and see what happens and Keppra is not known to cause hairloss, which isn't true since it is known to cause hairloss. He did give me Tegretol XR but I haven't started it yet since I'm patiently waiting for my hair to stop falling out (it's gotten better but not 100% and it's been almost 3 months), but I don't want to start something new until I know for sure my hair has stopped just in case it starts again I'll know it's the new med. I DO NOT RECOMMEND STOPPING MEDS though. Also, after surgery and going off Lamictal (and all meds) my hair did eventually grow back and it was actually fuller, thicker, healthier than ever. I too have thin hair so this ended up being a blessing, which I'm hoping for again : ) As far as lowing the dose it may stop the hair loss since I've heard people say they lost hair once their dose was increased, so I'm assuming the opposite would work. Also, I've been told that after 6 months or so the hairloss did in fact stop for some people, perhaps it would've for me with the Keppra but I was losing hair way to fast and again, got the alopecia areata within 1 month. If you're losing hair slowly and it's not really noticable I would say try it for 6 months and see if it balances out in your system. Note: I wasn't only losing hair in the shower but even throughout the day if I pulled on it a bunch of strands would be in my hand, which is a good test to tell if you're actually losing hair. GOOD LUCK!!!

I have been on the lamictal for almost year though...which is another strange thing. I wanted to mention the itching again. Any thoughts on this - a rash on the scalp??

Thanks for the responses. Don't worry, I won't go off the meds or lower the dose without speaking to the doc first. Luckily I have a wonderful one who never questioned my hair loss on the keppra.

thanks!

Alopecia Areata and meds

Yes, the alopecia areata is reversible according to the dermatologist that I'm going too and some internet research I did. Usually when one gets alopecia areata the 1st step is to see if something is causing it and if it's a drug with discontinue use of that drug the alopecia areata is reversible. However, NOT always but in the majority of cases it is. The dermatologist checked my head and said, "Yes, it's reversible and it will grow back now that you're off the med." The steroid shot is to simply promote the hair growth. Unfortunately it can also affect other areas and I have heard of people losing eyebrows from it, which luckily didn't happen to me. BUT AGAIN, MANY PEOPLE HAVE GREAT SUCCESS ON KEPPRA!

I had the itching on the scalp with Keppra and some areas turned a peach like color, but apparently that's one of the symptoms of alopecia areata and not the dangerous rash one can get from these meds. I had some areas on my head that just felt weird where I can't explain it but it didn't necessarily burn or hurt, but that's the only way I can describe it. How about very minimal sensations of burn/hurt would be a better description.

Wow thats a lot of info. Thanks Ladies,
It sound weird but I am not starting Limictal, as a mood stabilizer. I was on antidepressants for 12 years and finalluy got off of them a month ago. Thank Goodness.
I am looking forward to strarting the Limictal, i have the name brand to start it for 1 month to up the dose, but then i have 2 get the generic cuz my insurance does not cover it, unless i want to pay $400.00 verses $5.00

I take so many meds i cant afford the mane brand. I take Rifampin for the Lyme so due to this med the Limictal will not work as well so i will hve to just take it at a stronger dose. My Psychiatrist said this is ok. We will see how it goes for the 1st month and up the dose as needed.

I am in the processof getting a PICC LINE or Port put in for IV infusion for the Lyme diseae.

Thanks for all the info

Back
Top Bottom