Itchy all over

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am so new to this maybe somebody out there has some experience. My 7 year old has been on Keppra for about 2 months, it immediately started working, he had had 5 Grand Mals in 8 days, that we know of and he has not had one since starting on meds. Over the past week he has had some foot tremors so we have had to increase the meds. Today at school he went to the nurse because he was itchy all over, this is new. I have read that people can feel like their skin is crawling, but at 7 he may not be able to articulate very well. He was then back at the nurse because he said his foot was having tremors. This is odd because his seizures have been at night. I find myself doubting him and it kills me. He is a difficult kid to begin with, is having a real hard time in school so for him to go to the nurse is not out of the ordinary. I realize nobody can answer the question of whether or not he is having tremors but can Keppra cause itchy skin, or does nocturnal seizures progress to daytime? Any feedback would be great.

i dont know if this is the case with your child but i recently started takking vimpat and about an hour after i take it i start itching like crazy , if you saw me you would think i had poison ivy or chicken pox ! and i've heard others with the same situation

I had a drug reaction rash in one spot, plus itching all over when I first went on Lamictal. The itchiness the dermatologist chocked it up to "skin type." Bull. I didn't itch before the lamictal. I went through several bottles of clear Calamine lotion. The rashes are all gone now and I'm fine. It's worth bringing up to your doctor.

I related my itching to being seizury,not to the meds-it felt like bugs were on me and every where I deeply scratched they would be somewhere else.I was looking in mirror and taking my clothes off and I would see nothing but I would feel them crawling.I think it was part of an aura or preseizure or something because it was in the same hour as every other weird feeling.But my meds hold off any further development and then bam-it was gone-just like a light being turned off

Just a thought...it sounds to me like withdrawals. I remember coming off a med and feeling my whole body itch / skin crawls and I almost checked myself into the emergency room since I didn't know what was going on and the neuro said I was having withdrawals and from what I heard of withdrawals that was exactly what I was having. So, my point...is it possible that perhaps the med is starting to drop down and not maintaining levels...I don't know but it's a thought. Oh and yes, nocturnal seizures can turn into day seizures and not to say that's what's happening but yes it can happen.

I haven't been on Keppra, but my current meds make me itch plenty, I feel the little guy's pain. It was a lot worse when I was on Depakote. I also jerk/jump, especially when falling asleep. I hope he gets it figured out, poor thing.

I was on IV morphine after I had my first son via c-section. When it was wearing off, my skin would itch all over. I kept asking the nurse if I had hives and she said no but did not explain that the itching was a side-effect of the drug. The drug made me so loopy that I could not think straight...but when it wore off...oh, the pain!!!

Back
Top Bottom