Looking after Kids?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

aboizd1

Pillar
Reaction score
One of my part-time jobs is looking after children. Until my seizures started I had been looking after a foster parents young babies (ages 4mth, 18mth, 20mth, and 2). Right now I've, due to the fact that theres legal obligations of the fosterparent, I've taken a slight break of being left alone with the babies...I can't wait to get back to my usual routine with them! I still look after kids that are older, because I and there parents feel they would be ok if anything happened with me, but I'm not sure what to do about the babies!?

How do seizures affect parenting for those of you that have small kids? or that look after kids? Should I feel okay taking them to the park and returning to our normal routines if I have no signs of seizures? I have only had 2 seizures 1 month apart and it has since been almost 2 months since the last one. I'm confident in looking after the babies again...but I would feel awful if anything happened.... :s

Times have changed ... in comparison today ...

That is a tricky question, because my son grew up with
a mom having Epilepsy; and plus - there had been many
times when his "buddies" would be over our home and
even overnight.

As for when he was a baby, there were quite a few times
I had to "baby-sit" on emergencies; because the neighbor's
had an emergency situations (example - on revolving shift,
then suddenly received a graveyard shift notification leaving
them without any advanced warning so they would be able
to find a "night sitter"; or medical emergencies, etc). I once
had 3 babies plus my own in one dire straight there - but all
went well however, while one was already planned (it was a
"pay back for the time they watched ours overnight"), the
other two were not (a baby and a nearly 2 year old) - which
was a result of an emergency.

I never was a "babysitter", but even though my (ex) husband
was on the road; I could hear at that time so it was not too
much of a problem but it sure was a hand full at the moment.
I just had to be careful as not to go overboard.

The laws have changed a lot these days; so I have not a clue
how things runs now-a-days. For my neighbor even commented
in a whiny voice about how her daughter (in late 90s) had to
go to class to be licensed to be a baby-sitter, and that one
went over my head. It was all "news" to me and it was then
when I learned it had been around for awhile, regulations, rules,
and all the yadda, yadda, yaddas ...

So my wildest guess would most likely be what would be in
accordance to your County/City/State Children Welfare regulation
and codes would be pertaining to that order - that is, if you are
in the United States and if such applies?

I think it depends on what kind of seziure you hava and how often you have them. But I do understand where you come from I gave up working on church bus for such reason. I was haveing to many bad one's and honestly the kids I was walking to and from class where 5yr olds though say most 5 yr olds wouldn't be issue with this but they weren't typical so was safer for me to quit other then my little sister now 2 and only watched her once after szs started and there were couple of my other sibs around older then her but younger then me i havent watched young kids just prevrance 5 and under depens on kids and any 1 under 3 personally choose not to till I have some control.

I'm in Canada, and there aren't any babysitting rules per-say, just that you have to be over 13! The only glitch in this situation is that the children aren't hers!

It's hard to decide whether or not its ok to feel ok about taking them out...aside being people I look after, they are a very close family to me, and it is very odd to not be able to treat them like any other kid-i keep thinking forward to when/if i have kids-i sure won't want to live locked up in my house because of e then...so i'm not sure...

And I have grandmal seizures, but I've only ever had two, a couple of months ago. And haven't had any since being on medication.

The fear is always there. Yet, to stress about it only brings up the chance of having a seizure. I stayed home (alone) with my micro-preemie twins for seven years. I knew myself and knew if there was an issue. One word of advice with babies: If you know something might happen, put them down.

I never had issues with my children (God's grace helped on this one), but was very careful with sleeping (I needed to make sure I had a certain amount), nutrition and exercise.

We can do almost anything (the driving thing ;o( ) we set our minds to.

Good luck on your journey.---LMT

If I feel weird and I have them running around outside I strap them into their buggy/stroller! I don't want to be carrying them or having them loose and me going down! Glad to know its not just me being overly paranoid when I'm with them...Thanks for the advice!!

Back
Top Bottom