Seizures in the Womb?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Starburst

New
Reaction score
Has anyone felt like their unborn child was having a seizure in the womb?

When I was pregnant with my infant (who is now 8 months old), I felt him making strange shaking movements near the end of my pregnancy. This was my fifth child so I know it wasn't the usual feeling you get when they move or have hiccups. I didn't think about it too deeply at the time, but I started wondering once he was born and started having seizures a couple of days later. Could those shaking sensations have been seizures?

Hi.

Yes it is possible to have seizures in the womb. My daughter was having seizures form around 6 months whilst in the womb.

Hi um-adam,
So sorry too hear about your child,and you too Merc.My cousins unborn child wasnt having seizures in the womb,but he had a stroke and was born with poralayris down his left hand side and also Epilepsy,its terrible when children dont even get a seconds chance.I just wanted to wish the two off you the best off luck,i hope things improve for you both.

Neil

Thank you, Merc. Did you know it at the time? If so, did the doctors do anything to treat your daughter before she was born?

Neil, thank you for your heartfelt note. Best wishes for your cousin and his/her child.

This is the first time I heard anyone else mention it, but I think my 3rd child was having seizures in the womb. Same as you, in 3rd trimester, it was like he was having convulsions.

He has Down Syndrome, but didn't have any seizures after birth (that we noticed) until he was age 1. At least no convulsions.

Interesting that you brought this up, because we've always concluded that his seizures were due to lack of oxygen at birth, but if he were really having them in the womb, then that would point to a different cause.

Back
Top Bottom