Unremarkable MRI

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
We just received heard that our son's brain MRI was unremarkable which is what we were hoping for. That being said, we think that he is having simple partial seizures which may be increasing in frequency. We still have to meet with the neurologist. Does anyone else have the situation where the are having seizures but have a normal MRI?

Usually the MRI is done to be sure there is no tumors, etc. EEG is done to see if there is seizure activity, although it is possible to have negative EEG results and still have E.

We read the EEG report and there were abnormalities noted. The MRI was done to ensure that there were no lesions. What type of seizures do you have? Do you know if anyone has simple partials but chooses to stay off medication?

I have both simple and complex partials. I do take Keppra and cannot opt to go without meds due to my seizures being in my partiel lobel. Robin on here has a daughter that she treats with diet, as well as several others on here.

My MRI was fine, but the EEG showed up activity in the left and right temporal lobes. The MRI just looks for physical signs like scars, tumours, lesions etc.

Thank you to everyone for being so forthcoming with information and willing to help. My son's seizure activity is also from the right parietal lobe spreading to the temporal and occipital lobes. We'll discuss next steps with the neurologist in two weeks.

Your help and time is greatly appreciated.

Partiel lobe epilepsy is rare. My neuro said my EEG showed I had seizures in left partiel lobe and generalized spiking throughout right side of my brain. (I did read that usually right handed people have left partiel lobe and left handed people have right partiel lobe. Is your son left handed?)
My neuro told me that going off meds would never be in my future. He explained with partiel lobe there is more likelihood of me having a seizure in the partiel lobe and in another lobe in brain and it is very dangerous/fatal if I ever have two concurrant seizures. I would ask your son's doctor about this and ask if diet/neurofeed back could be an option for him.
There is just so much to learn.......

Thanks for this info. That explains why I can't find much on parietal lobe epilepsy on the internet. He seems to be having simple partial seizures at the moment; no loss of consciousness since April 17th.

We'll make sure to ask his neurologist about this. He is right handed.

I hope all is well with you.

I had a normal MRI. But have learned recently that you can still have brain damage at the cellular level (like from a brain injury or mini-strokes) and still have a normal MRI.

all my test have come back ok eeg,cat,mri,mri with dye.this is from 2005 till now.they think that it was a tia[mini-stroke]that was the cause of my epilepsy.

We just received heard that our son's brain MRI was unremarkable which is what we were hoping for. That being said, we think that he is having simple partial seizures which may be increasing in frequency. We still have to meet with the neurologist. Does anyone else have the situation where the are having seizures but have a normal MRI?

toronto mom,
i would keep checking him once a year, just in case. i had a normal MRI 4 years ago after my first grand mal- 12 years old, and then this year they saw a small abnormality, my neurologist saw it and told me it was nothing dangerous or to worry about, but still keep an eye on it. not trying to make all your hopes come crashing down, but i'm telling you from experience. they told me mine probably developed when i was going through the last stages of puberty, but maybe you don't have to worry about that too soon. (sorry, don't know how old he is lol)

Best of luck to you and your little boy!
take care,
Vicky

Back
Top Bottom