UK students?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Matthew74

Stalwart
Reaction score
I'm thinking about going to London as a mature postgraduate student next year. I've read a lot about the NHS, here and elsewhere. My intention is NOT to get sick, but I could end up in the emergency room at some point, my seizures could get out of control, and I might need to see someone about meds or something.

I'm concerned that seeing a GP instead of an epileptologist might do more harm than good. I have unusual seizures that usually don't show up on EEG. It might be ok if my Drs. there communicate with my Dr. here.

I'm also concerned because one of my meds is not approved in the UK. I could probably have it shipped over, but there is the issue of who is going to pay for it. It's waaay $$$$. If I'm covered by the NHS I probably can't get it through Medicaid, or Prescription Assistance. I could talk to the manufacturer about it.

Matthew74

Before you get as far as thinking about the NHS, have you thought about the move and I mean Thought. London is a fantastic place with a lot to see and plenty to do, but before you can see the place you have to settle in, remember it does rain in England, ok not near as much as Ireland but it does rain so bring an umbrella, the food is going to be different to what you are used to. Have you organised a place to stay accommodation can be expensive and usually is.

These are only a few things to consider, I lived in London and its a beautiful place but it is a foreign city and once you get used to the place you can walk around and see the place but be careful. Consider this first, there is a lot more. If you decide yes, its a city and place to remember, I think you will enjoy it. The NHS (Nation Health Service) is whole different thing, you need to let your doctor/GP know about the move and your neurologist because they will be contacted.

Oh one other thing, you might not know much about football/soccer in England but by the time you leave you will be a fan. Being a fan can pose problems for you.

Fedup,

Thank you. I think you are right to bring it up. I have given it a lot of thought. I have wanted to study in England since I was at least 11 years old. I worked for a guy from Kent who had lived in London. A few years ago I was accepted to Durham, but couldn't go. I even did some reading about British culture. I looked into Ireland too.

I know it will be very different, and that there will be culture shock. I also know it will be expensive. I don't mind the rain, although I will miss the sun.

Where did you live? I've moved many times, but I've found that it's really hard to judge neighborhoods and transportation without actually being there.

Matthew74

The last place I lived was Tottenham Hotspur in London a little place called Green Lane. Its not as expensive as you think, it depends on what you are thinking of doing. Kent is a nice place totally different to London.

There is good transportation in London, stick to the black cabs if you are going to use cabs do not use the hackney cabs. You will need a new dog and bone, never walk home on your own or the same way twice in a row.

Dog and Bone = Phone.

Back
Top Bottom