Trying my third med in 2 months

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Rheaceleste

Reaction score
Hello, I just found this site and have been reading a lot on it. I started Vimpat last week due to intolerable side effects of Keppra and Lamictal and was excited the first few days because it seemed to be the first with no severe SE other than some dizziness and exhaustion. The mental SEs are nonexistent and that was my main issue with Keppra and Lamictal. BUT for 48 hours now I’ve had the worst stabbing pains in my stomach. I can’t eat because it just cramps even more. I’ve never had GI issues in the past and I’m thinking it must be the Vimpat. Has anyone experienced this and did they get past it?

Hi @Rheaceleste , welcome to CWE. I don't recall my wife ever having that particular side effect from any AED and she's tried just about every one of them, but that doesn't mean you and/or other people can't experience it. Everyone has different experiences with the various meds.

Usually when starting a new med, the side effects start strong and then fade in strength as you get acclimated to it. But if your doc started you on a high dose to ensure a therapeutic dose in your system, it could be a bit of a shock. Maybe talk to the doc (or his/her nurse) and see if you could lower the dose slightly and maybe alleviate the problem for the short term until your system adjusts?

Hi Rhea, welcome to CWE!

Sometimes it helps to take a med with a meal — or not with a meal — your neuro may have a specific recommendation. In addition to backing off the dose, there might be an option for splitting the dose in two, or trying an extended release version.

Alternatively, the GI issues could be unrelated to the Vimpat -- if they persist or get worse you should check in with your regular doc asap.

Hi Rhea,

Just like you I was on Keppra and it gave me such a hot temper I had to get off the drug so I went on vimpat
and that really helped me a lot. I never had any stomach issues but the one thing I did have was a rapid heartbeat every
now and then but then that stopped.
You may want to see a gastro Dr. if this continues. I was on a seizure med that ate up the lining of my intestines and I was told
by the gastro Dr. to eat Activa Yogurt and that helped me a lot. He also told me to stay away from high fat foods and dairy foods
and that was a big help. Drink tea instead of coffee and if you want soda drink ginger ale that's what I had to do.
I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You,

Sue

Back
Top Bottom