Vimpat-Lacosamide ???

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

John Sturgis

Pillar
Reaction score
Hi All,Prices for Lacosamide have gone up to average of $389/month. Some insurance plans do not provide anymore. I am on Medicare- Any thoghts on how I can get this med to control seizures???

Have you tried using GoodRX? You can get some really good med prices on there.

Have you tried using GoodRX? You can get some really good med prices on there.
Thx Valaried, I am using GoodRX now. It seems that the number of pharmacies is decreasing. Also many of them have raised prices appropriately 80% in 2024. Lacosamide is pretty much a tier 4 drug. My insurance is Cigna 0& they do not provide it. I am going to talk to my doctor & discuss a tier exception on Friday. Trying to work out a plan if/when GoodRX stops. Thx, John Sturgis

GoodRX has a list of the cost of different pharmacies that have your med. If a pharmacy isn't the one you normally use it might be worth getting your refill transferred the one who carries the med at the cheaper price. Sometimes it can be a huge difference in cost. Look on the internet because there are other websites like GoodRX that you can get a discount on.

The pharmacy might be able to look and see if they are able to get a discount on the med when I pick it up if ask them, not sure if all pharmacies are able to do or will do that. At times mine has already done it, I don't think many pharmacies do that though.

Ask your neuro, they might know a way to get a discount. They might know about websites and other things. Neuro's can get free samples sometimes they can give you. Check out the manufactures website, you might get some sort a discount there. The manufactures website for one of the meds I'm on I was able to get a free month worth of meds.

I know med prices can be ridiculous! I'm always trying to find ways to get a price that I can afford.

Last edited:
... My insurance is Cigna 0& they do not provide it. I am going to talk to my doctor & discuss a tier exception on Friday. ...

Your health insurance might cover it if your neuro submits the appropriate "prior authorization" form to them:

Hello. That's similar to the situation I was in when I was taking Vimpat, which required me to switch to Zonegran/Zonisamide. Our insurance changed, & my monthly out of pocket cost for Vimpat would have been $1600--nearly as much as our mortgage!

Back
Top Bottom