26 years "Seizure Free-Migraine Riddled"

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

1976AmyS

New
Reaction score
After fighting off Migraines for 26 years that no meds ever helped, I finally have been diagnosed with epilepsy once again. In a way I find it a relief because the migraines were so horrendous that I couldn't do anything. With the seizure meds, I feel like I can do daily activities fairly normally. I feel a BIT "DINGY" but have always a had a bit of that! Years of suffering from pain and vertigo are somewhat starting to go away after being on small doses of meds again---my memory escapes me more often but I can get through them much easier than I ever could migraines. Weird-I wish they had never said I "outgrew" them-maybe the technology just showed a lack of activity or a slowing of activity? I dunno...At first, I was a little depresses over the thought of still having them-but then realized that the possibility of them never have gone away and all those years of suffering for nothing was just silly! WHen I was a kid, I had various seizures, ranging from small absence seizures to grand mal---some I remember waking from, some I remember when they began. Today, I feel almost as if I am on a Merry-Go-Round at times that keeps going while I stand still......vertigo is really the best way I can describe it...super dizzy while sitting completely still-losing moments of time. It has been coming and going for some time-a few years, had a concussion about a year ago-seemed to make it worse. Trying to be positive-Always looking for that silver lining-----at least it's not migraines! Those suck!:mrt:

Welcome Amy

There are a few people here that have issues with migraines.

I know one of them cured the migraines by using ionic (the liquid) magnesium.

Have you tried anything else for your migraines before using AED's?

Hi Amy and welcome to the forum :) As a chronic migrain sufferer and a person with E I can understand where you're coming from. One thing that helps is knowing what your triggers are, for both, if you can figure them out. Keeping a diary a diary and tracking both conditions can aid in fdoing this. Some of us use meds to control both (ie. I take topomax for both) while others can control their meds by taking supplements or using alternative methods to control both or just a single condition. USing the search function of the forum will provide you a wealth of information on both subjects.

Hope you enjoy your stay and look forward to hearing more from you. THis is a great group of folks!
Beth

For years I tried all of the above to figure out the migraines and control them, sugar free diets, journals, allergy tests, chiropractic care, etc. I had always thought that the migraines replaced the seizures when I was a child so I had always felt it was another form of a seizure rather than just a migraine. I just recently had another EEG which showed the epilepsy was still active. So this was the first time I had been back on the meds since I was a kid, they have been improving the vertigo quite a bit which makes me think that it wasn't just a passing dizziness-thank you for all your advice-it has beens so long since I have had to control any seizures. But-on a positive note-no migraines since being on meds again.

There's a pretty strong relationship between migraines and epilepsy. In fact, among migraine sufferers, 6% are epileptic -- more than ten times than the general population! A person may have a seizure on one occasion and a classic attack of migraine on another.

Both share common treatment options as well. The goal is to eliminate the events and prevent side effects, too. So, when a person has both epilepsy and migraines, it is logical to try to “consolidate” treatments and use one medication for both conditions.

Research shows that Depacon (Valproate) and Topamax (Topiramate) are effective in treating migraines and epilepsy. And each has FDA approval for treating them together. Depakote (Divalproex Sodium) also works for both, creating a therapeutic “two-fer."

There are also several other antiepileptic drugs that have also been shown to lessen migraine headaches – such as Neurontin (Gabapentin), Keppra ( Levetiracetam) and Zonegran (Zonisamide). However, the dose of AEDs in the treatment of migraines is usually lower than that used for epilepsy.

What drug are you currently taking?

I am currently on the lowest dose of Topiramate-going to my neuro this Friday to see about upping the dose a little-still have bouts of the vertigo a little which I feel are the seizures. My migraines definitely have changed over the years, it feels good finally to be close to feeling somewhat "normal"...Feels like some days are the migraines and some days are hang overs ====like 3 days, maybe post seizure related?

Oh...I meant the feeling of a hangover....not a real hang over....:loco: oops...

Amy--You put it very well, for a majority of us who have been diagnosed with epilepsy suffered (and were very confused) for many years due to things such as migraines, inexplicable behavior, dizziness, even nightmares. I know now that the middle-of-the-night horrible "dreams" I'd have, with my parents standing next to me, were basically seizures. But it was quite a way back in time, and all too many otherwise loving parents just figured that epilepsy was an extremely rare and very "adult problem." I had it diagnosed in my mid-twenties. And as you know, epilepsy has more or less come "out of the closet" in the past decades. Keep coming back here!

Thanks....
At first Being told again as an adult that I still was having episodes of epilepsy I was devastated, but then-I realized that really my episodes are so mild and that really the migraines were really severe but at least they weren't "seizures". Now I realize if all those years I had still been on meds they probably could have been under control.
Coming to terms with the label was harder...
Now I am on topomax-slowly increasing dose and noticing some of my weird ticks that I always thought were weir ticks anyway are now gone....So I suppose those weren't just ticks after all....
So I just laugh some of it off and find relief in the fact that the migraines are going away with the increase in meds, so it seems they were really just a different form of my seizures really-but I most definitely have those crazy dreams at night--at the jumping arms and legs...
So glad this forum is here!

I had migraines for 30+ years. My daughter has a seizure disorder, though I am not sure I would label it Epilepsy these days as we have come to find out the cause.

I tried every migraine med on the market, and they would work for a while (years) and then become ineffective, or I would have to take so much, I questioned what they were doing to me. It was then that I researched alternatives, and found a doctor that suggested magnesium. I have not had a migraine in about 5 yrs.

My daughter has been seizure free by making sure her blood sugar stays balanced via an elimination diet, and that making sure she takes her nutritional supplements.
Neither she or I are taking pharmaceuticals.

I am sure I both-but I learning my triggers. I have found that my biggest triggers are sugar-artificial and real. And vitamins of any kind-especially in any drinks and in any pill form. I have been thinking of looking into a ketogenic diet. Stress has also been a huge factor in both-which is a very hard one to eliminate! ;) but I am working on that!
I am seeing a neuro about evey 6 weeeks to check on side effect etc, the topomax has been very effective for me-no side effects at all. I have way more side effects from having to take pain medication when I would have migraines. The topomax has made the migraines disappear almost completely... I do believe diet plays a major role in the headaches---sodium, msg, sugars...etc..seems so hard to stay away from those things. I never had any luck in the past with any other migraine meds in the past either-this has been the first time. I also tried magnesium about 5 years ago-but any supplements I have tried seem to trigger worse headaches for me. I also tried feverfew. I also tried the blood pressure medicine-made me feel weird.....dizzy. I would love to have any info on any ketogenic diets tha have worked for anyone. Thank you for your insight-his forum has ben really helpful.

The strict ketogenic diet is usually prescribed for kids. It's not easy for kids to follow, and it's almost impossible for adults. (It's a bit like only being allowed to eat bacon and mayonnaise.) But the MAD (Modified Atkins Diet) has been shown to be effective in adults, so you might want to give that a shot.

Please be careful with the high protein diets while on the topomax...my neuro stressed this to me quite strongly because i foolow a high protein low carb plan. TOpomax typically isn't recommended alongside the ketogenic diet because it can cause kidney stones. You also have to make sure you drink LOTSA water on topomax for the same reason. Topomax is goes through the kidneys instead of the liver liek some aeds (correct me if I'm wrong folks please, brain fog today).

Yep-You are right about that----I haven't tried it yet-just researching. But my doc did warn me about the kidney stones also. So thirsty all the time now-drinking more water than ever! What about anyones thoughts on the vegetarian version of the modified akind diet-seems healthier than all that meat? I definitely would check with my doctor and neuro first but also do need to lose like 60 lbs nd want to do it in a healthy way also that could benefit migraines and epileptics episodes and have seen lots of progress from some of my clients from these diets.

Hi, Amy.

I'm a vegan, and yes it is healthier. It's a diet that's not for everyone; some people just crave meat. But even cutting your meat consumption by 20% or 30% can help. But just because something is vegetarian doesn't make it healthy. There is a lot of veggie junk food out there, like potato chips. You still need to make healthy food choices.

Vegans (no animal products including meat, dairy or egg) have a much lower incidence of cancer, lowering their chances of cancer up to 45%.

Here's some info on cancer rates. The real "meat" *lol* is in the studies cited at the bottom of the page. (once again, europe is ahead of the U.S. on the research):
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...isk-of-cancer-by-a-half-claim-scientists.html

Vegans also have a much lower incidence of heart disease.
Mortality from ischaemic heart disease was 57% lower in vegetarians than the general population, and 18% lower than in non-vegetarians following a healthy lifestyle. Deaths due to cerebrovascular disease was 43% lower in the vegetarians compared with the general population.
http://www.vegetarian-diet.info/vegetarian-health-heart-disease.htm Once again, read the actual studies cited at the bottom of the page.

A vegetarian diet is also cited by the american heart association as a way to prevent and treat heart disease.

Being a vegetarian is easy, and MAD can be done as a vegetarian, but it is harder than it is for meat eaters. Most of the vegetarin protein comes from beans, whole grains, seeds, and nuts, which are higher in carbs than meat and dairy.

I've read that helps to have a dietician help you out when you first start on the MAD diet. They say it's quicker and easier than trying to figure it out yourself. I didn't google modified atkins and vegetarian, but I bet there are online sources of help, too.

If you choose to do this will you let us know how it goes?

Thank you for all the info...
I am definitely still researching... still have to talk to my doc, need to make healthy lifestyle change for so many other reasons besides just migraines and seizures...family history of cancer and heart disease. It is hard being a kid of the 80's growing up on convenience foods and growing up in the south---fried foods, comfort foods, etc. Those are the foods that I crave and want and have had so much of it is a HARD change to make, but so many reasons to make it. Working full time with 2 children, I have found myself falling into those old habits also-and getting the kids to adopt more healthy habits is reallly really hard-as they are surrounded by friends with junk in their lunches and crummy hot lunches...
Soooo....
For now, I have started a small food journal logging what items are triggers for me. Vitamin B, and any OTC vitamin supplements, any Vitamin water drinks and bananas. So far... THe vitamins will trigger the headaches for 3 days or more and I find that I have the crazy dreams at night during that time-night sure if that equates to night seizures or not? But find if I am trying to do computer work at my job the following day that I can't recall names....so...
I think I will wait on any huge changes, and will slowly remove items from my diet that are possible triggers and log them to see what happens...
Thank you everyone for all the advice and information-every day is a journey!

Back
Top Bottom