2y/o Son has 30+ atonic drop seizures a day.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ajnioisi

New
Reaction score
Hi,
My name is Angelo Niosi. My 2 year old son was diagnosed with epilepsy formally 8 months ago. He now takes Zonigran, keppra, and depakote. We had some success in lessening how many seizures he had a day when we started each medication. However they spike back up each time. He wears a bicycle helmet with Lightning McQueen on it. We are scheduled for a 5 day eeg at the end of this month. At this time I will be asking the doc if we should start the ketogenic diet or try a new med. Other than the seizures my son is healthy. As far as we know he is developmentally on track but I worry that if we don't get these seizures back down he will fall behind. My mother also has epilepsy but she does not have atonic drop seizures, but tonic-clonic and absence.

Hello dear Angelo! So sad to hear that such a small baby is having seizures. I really feel for the child. U are right, try the ketogenic diet for him and change the medicine only if the doctor suggests.

Hi Angelo, welcome to CWE!

You're doing the right thing -- monitoring your son's development and keeping an eye out for any side effects or setbacks. Three medications is a lot for a little guy, so it would be great to reduce any or all of the meds if possible. Have you discussed the keto diet with his doctor before? It is known to be particularly effective in treating children with atonic seizures (as well as myoclonic and absences). I assume you've read up about it, but if not there's more info here: http://www.charliefoundation.org/

CWE's Nursery Forum may also provide info and advice for you.

Best,
Nakamova

Back
Top Bottom