5 years epilepsy free

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
hi, I was writing here if someone had controlled epilepsy and lifting weights? I was epilepsy-free for 5 years now and I am regularly going to the gym. I was taking supplements like the L-glutamine which I read some feeds about negative interaction to those who had epilepsy. I just want to know if this is true or if this supplement is safe for those who had a history of epilepsy? Thanks.

I was released from the military due to epilepsy and I have been working out for many years. Depending on what specifically your goal is for working out look at diet instead of supplements. You have better control over what you cook/put in your diet than what the company may or may not put in a supplement. They don't specifically test supplements against epilepsy medications either, not that I know of, so you are taking risks that you don't necessarily have to. I enjoy my seizure free status so throwing things in that are not tested or proven is a risk to be contemplated wisely.

Glad that you are 5 yrs seizure free and here's to many more years of that status.

Gilles

Hi Linconsixecho, welcome to CWE!

L-glutamine can be problematic for folks with epilepsy. The body converts L-Glutamine to Glutamate. And Glutamate is one the neurotransmitters that EXCITES the brain. A similar thing can happen with MSG (which also converts to Glutamate), and with aspartame (which converts to aspartate, another excitatory neurotransmitter). In addition to lowering seizure threshold, l-glutamine can also interfere with the effectiveness of some AEDs. If you have epilepsy -- even well-controlled -- best to avoid the L-Glutamine supplement, or at least proceed with caution when using it.

Also, according to the link below, "No evidence exists for the use of glutamine...to enhance muscle development in body builders."
http://www.clevelandclinicwellness.com/Features/Pages/glutamine-pro-con.aspx

I was released from the military due to epilepsy and I have been working out for many years. Depending on what specifically your goal is for working out look at diet instead of supplements. You have better control over what you cook/put in your diet than what the company may or may not put in a supplement. They don't specifically test supplements against epilepsy medications either, not that I know of, so you are taking risks that you don't necessarily have to. I enjoy my seizure free status so throwing things in that are not tested or proven is a risk to be contemplated wisely.

Glad that you are 5 yrs seizure free and here's to many more years of that status.

Gilles
Hi Gnault, I appreciate your concern. Thanks a lot. Yeah, it was 5 years already that I did not take any medication but sometimes in the morning I saw some aura when I don't have enough sleep or oversleep. I am thinking that anytime it will trigger if I don't care enough about the food intake. So thank you. Can I ask? what is your diet for now?

Thanks for the link Nakamova. Do you have also a link for diet for high triglycerides because I have a problem with this blood test result? I tried to treat that by diet but still, the result did not respond to diet I made. My doctor gave me a medication ( Crestor 20mg) and I started taking it for almost 6 months now. every three months I have a regular check up for that. I am trying very hard to do exercise and I hope I could have a good diet to follow. if you can help me I appreciate it.

Hi Lincolnsixecho --

Ordinarily, a statin such as Crestor is used in conjunction with a low cholesterol diet in order to lower blood cholesterol/triglycerides. If after 6 months of diet+Crestor there has been no improvement in your blood results, then you should discuss with your doc whether to continue on the Crestor. (Statins can have their own side effects, particularly on the liver, so there's no point in taking one that doesn't work.)

You should consult with a nutritionist or registered dietician about making specific modifications to your current diet. Generally speaking a "heart-healthy" diet should be low in saturated fat, partially hydrogenated fat, and trans fat. But other fats -- esp. the unsaturated fats in vegetable oils and other foods, are beneficial. Low-fat dairy products, fatty fishes, nuts, and olive oil are all good to include in your diet (unless they are otherwise contraindicated by your doc).

Assuming you have no nut allergies, here's something to try: Eating 4 brazil nuts once a month. Check out this link: https://nutritionfacts.org/2016/03/24/four-brazil-nuts-once-a-month/ Brazil nuts may or may not work for you to lower your cholesterol, but they are certainly easy to try. :)

Back
Top Bottom