8 yr old daughter with epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

babyann03

New
Reaction score

hi everyone,

my name is cecile, i have had epilepsy from when i turned 13 & i am now 32.. however i can reasonably handle my seizures thankfully as my 8yr old daughter baileigh was diagnosed with epilepsy when she was 1... i will never forget that day she kept going in & out of seizures & only wanted to sleep so we took her to the doctor as thats what i thought it was...
when we got there, a doctor took us in & looked at her, he told us that she was prob sick & was just febral seizures & that we should hurry up & leave the hosp before anyone stopped us!!! however on the way out she had about another 4 so they just rushed her into emergency & we were in the hosp for about 2 wks while they tried to get it somewhat under control...

her seizures have changed a lot from then thankgoodness however now she does have trouble breathing, i am pretty sure she has tonic clonic seizures but has recently had a few focal seizures!!! the actual seizure part doesnt last very long, but sometimes it can take her about half an hour before she is coherant again... she gets really scared at times as tho she sees something scary othertimes she is as tho she is looking for something & doesnt know where she is she will even get off her bed & walk around the house!!! & othertimes she just has a huge smile on her face & is laughing at something.... it almost always has to do with her needing to do a wee however she is scared of the toilet so that is really hard to get her to relax enough!! she has previously locked herself in the bathroom & fallen off the toilet smashing her 2 front teeth & having a seizure....

her learning has always been stunted from the epilepsy she has trouble retaining information, & that was really pronounced when she was taking lamictal for a couple of yrs so much so that the teacher didnt believe she had epilepsy just thought she was being a trouble maker!!! until she finally got bais records at the end of the year!!!
thankfully she got a really gd teacher last year that got really involved she got the school dressing up in purple & donations going to the epilepsy foundation she informed the class all about epilepsy & even had a purple day activity for the kids in the class & they got to have purple food & stuff like that... anyway she had a couple of really big seizures in the 1st few weeks which is why the teacher wanted to inform the class & get them involved!!

once the doctor put her onto keppra the seizures stopped for a few mths & her learning abilities improved, she was still nervy & needed assistance with anything new & stuff but she learnt so much last year they put her in the class next to where she was last year so she wouldnt be so nervy this year & the teachers have commented on how much she has learnt... its a pity tho that she didnt stay seizure free for very long.. however the seizures were usually late at night or early hrs of the morning so we speand our nights listening out for her just incase (she still having at least 1 a night)

saw the nuro the other day & she has decided her keppra is too high & to take her off of lamictal & introduce topomax to the keppra... so we got the topomax sprinkles as she is not good with tablets yet!!! so far has only had it lastnight & she still had a seizure so i am really nervous about how it is going to be after these 4 weeks while weaned off lamictal & weaned onto the topomax...

my question in the forum is if anyone else has experienced anything i have mentioned or if anyone has had the topomax with keppra & if they think it is a good mix or not.... any experiences would be really good

thankyou

Hi babyann03,

I don't have any experience with the topomax/keppra combo, but just wanted to welcome you to CWE. I know transitioning on and off meds can be stressful for the system, so it may be too soon to gauge how the Topomax is doing for your daughter.

Best,
Nakamova

Welcome to CWE Babyann03! I have no experience with the medication side of this as of yet, we are still very new to this ordeal. I hope things transition well and that this combo works. Sounds like you have a great school support system. I think what your daughters teacher did is fantastic! What a wonderful way to help your daughter and her classmates feel more comfortable with what is going on. Keep us posted on how things are going. :)

thankyou for your warm welcomes!!! i will definatly keep you posted on how things are going with the new meds!! & i agree kaitybugsmom her teacher was one of a kind, & always put in 110% with the children (she did the same with juvenile diabeties as another girl in the class was diagnosed with that)!!! i am really happy with the support from the school, they have put so many programs in place to help baileigh & other students that have similar problems... they also have contact with bais docs & stuff at times as well...
i havent been part of a forum before so thankyou again for your welcoming & i appriciate any input from anyone!!! thankyou

Wow, that is so great, and will make such a difference for her future when it comes to school. Many of these kids will be ones she is in highschool with and if they know now what it's all about and what she goes through then she will have understanding and support through her teens when she'll need it most. Really, as a teen one does anyway even without dealing with a disease.
One amazing teacher that's for sure, making such a difference in children's lives that are struggling so much.

you are right there qtowngirl, which is good, what is really great is there is one particular girl that she is friends with that really looks out for her & comes over often & bai goes & stays at their house (this girl has juvenile diabetes) so they kinda look out for each other!!!
all it takes is one teacher to take an interest & to make an effort to make a change & to get others motivated in helping her/ other kids as well makes such a big difference!! i know to well how it can be when ur different in high school espec... i was diagnosed with epilepsy when i first started high school & when my best friend found out (she was the only one i told at first) she wouldnt come near me for ages... i guess back then there was so little known about it (i am 32 now) that made me nervous to tell anyone else & so worried i would have a seizure at school as the slightest bump or knock could send me into a seizure & i couldnt move when it happened just tried to get to the ground or hold onto something so i didnt fall.... thankfully i made some other friends that were understanding & my closest friend used to get a feeling i was about to have one right before i had one.... i have been constantly worried that bai might experience the same nastiness that i did to start with....

things have been going pretty good so far!!! is only 2nd week on the topamax now, & thankfully she hasnt been having seizures everynight!!!
on the nights that she has had seizures & still gone to school the teacher tells me that shed had a really good day focused really well & did her work well etc!!! so i am really happy so far...
i noticed it is harder to get her up on time for her meds & school in the morning now, but im not complaining lol other stuff seems to be going well!!! she even slept at her friends over the weekend & was fine!!!! from weds she stops taking the lamictal & starts having the topamax in the morn as well as at night!!
so she will be staying on 5ml keppra morn & night & 25mg topamax in the morn & 50mg topamax at night!!!

Great! It sound like the med combo is doing the trick.

Back
Top Bottom