add/adhd, epilepsy and rage

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
i also have epilepsy and add/adhd and i know it can be a real pain especially with working a full time job to boot but i don't know if you are aware of also having a anger/ rage issue that is also common with epilpsey / add people i have that and it takes everything i have to control that rage

Howdy Nadine

Welcome to CWE. Lots of great people here. Looking forward to getting to know you better.

:e:Hello, Welcome to CWE!!:wave:hey! who shuffled the smileys? I nearly used the wrong one!I know I have got more tetchy since starting on Topamax,have you looked at your medication, some people get problems with Keppra as well.My brother has ADD, he has real trouble holding it in when he gets mad. He's better(-ish) now he's 17, but he was even expelled from pre-school for throwing a table! at the teacher because they had the wrong juice?!!(at 3 yrs old!) Now he is a lot better, but he isn't trying to cope with having Epilepsy as well.You are doing really well to hold down a full time job, I can't even have a part time one at the moment, so :woot::clap::clap:to you!!

If I haven't already

said HI,

Hello, and welcome to CWE!

I lose track of things sometimes......I'm becoming a bit addle-brained as of late. It's annoying.

Anyway, it's a wonderful place you've found here. Mr B's made a awesome house. Stacy's a great hostess. Great people, too. Buckeye makes wonderful coffee, he'll be by soon, I'm sure....though I do need to train TeeTee and Speber to make proper steaks (INSIDE JOKE, sorry) Robin's a wealth of information.......

I've got to get going to work, but c'mon in and stay for a chat......you'll like it here!

Hi Nadine! Welcome to CWE. :) Check out the padded room. It is the perfect place to just unload and vent. :) Just remember, you aren't alone.

:cheers:

Did someone ask for coffee? I've got the coffee and will try my best to help with anything else you may need around here.

I hope you enjoy your stay. We offer a lot of support here, backed up by as much as you could want to learn about E and plenty of laughter.

Concentration/focus issues (especially at work) were one of the issues I had that sent me looking for a site like this. I am doing better now, but have no plans on leaving soon.

Meetz - get up and let our newest guest have a chair. :)

:cheers:

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't

actually reply to your question earlier.:paperbag:

I, too, have both ADHD and E. I am medicated for the E, but NOT medicated for the ADHD. I am able to focus a bit better with the use of coffee (which goes against E, but for ADHD purposes it works perfectly).:noevil:

In terms of rage......YES, I have this problem, too. But, I have had to learn to control it......put it to the side as it were, because of my job as a substitute teacher, and my own special needs child. My solutions? Writing and walking. Talking with my best friend. (Going to therapists screwed me up even more.) Occasionally, I will punch something, throw things, or when I really can't control it, dismantle some of hubby's things. :roflmao::noevil::bigsmile: It's OK, he LIKES to put things together, really, he does...:roflmao::bigmouth: Crying makes me physically ill, so that's out.

And yes, it wears me out, controlling that rage on a regular basis. And boy, do I get even more pissed off when hubby blames me for the ONE anti-anxiety pill that he takes every day (I take 45 pills a day)....then my rage really wants to let loose. I have to physically remove myself from the house so I don't hurt him.

Oh yes, I have stress balls, too, that I grab and squeeze all the time. They help a lot. At least for me.

But, I WON'T let it run my life. I have found that if I remove myself from people that irritate me, the rage is less. Strange, but true. I also do things like listen to classical music to calm down. Deep breathing when I need to. I focus on the good things that I have going......2 published books, another almost done, with 2 more started. I've got 3 wonderful kids all in various stages of college, tho the special needs one is trying at times, he is literally a miracle child....he was supposed to be a vegetable.

Another thing I've done is changed my diet. The GARD diet has helped with my seizures, AND I believe, has helped with my rage. While I still have the rage, it is less. Sure, I still have bad days, and some of them are REALLY BAD. But the diet has really, really helped. No, it's not easy to stick to. But, it's made a difference.........

OK, I'm off my soapbox now....:soap:

Now, Buckeye, quit being a GOOBER!!!!!!!!!! OF COURSE I will share the chairs if I need to, but there are plenty to go around.......Mmmmmmmmm, your coffee's as good as always, but where is my filet mignon? (sorry, inside joke).:banana:

Take care!

Meetz

Speber's Auditorium

I would also like to suggest spending some time in Speber's Auditorium. He has many links to music videos that I think can help calm the anger.

From this I have learned that if I am having a particularly bad day, I can retreat to my computer and just start searching out old music clips on youtube.

I just go from one clip to the next and lose myself in the music. I find it very relaxing.

:clap: I earned a GOOBER rating :clap:

:hello: Nadine!

Welcome to CWE! Glad you've come to the right place
and hopefully you'll find some answers via resources,
through others, and much more!

:)

Welcome! I find that I'm much better of when I'm really busy. I also go to work. It's chaotic, but I love it.

I also exercise with my dog. With our recent heat wave, I'm heading to the gym more often. My exercise buddies keep me in line. Otherwise, I love to draw and listen to music. I own a border collie who has an incredible amount of energy to play and run. She's probably the best investment I've made in years. After work, we play her favorite activities in air conditioning (a really rough life!).

Anyway, welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom