am i having seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

bhanger84

New
Reaction score
Back in 2006 I had 2 seizures and did, ekgs, cat scans, etc. Everything came back fine. I never found out why I had them. I've been on dilantin ever since. I had a question about what is happening to me. Sometimes my eye does this jerking think, its worst than a twitch. sometimes it feels like my eye is about to pop out. My doctor says its just a side effect but some people say its a seizure. I don't black out like I did when I had my two in 06. It usually happens if something surprises me. Like a loud noise, or if I'm being rushed. Can anyone help me and let me know what's going on.

Hi bhanger84, welcome!

Dilantin has a side effect called "nystagmus" where the eyes make involuntary movements. Maybe that's what your doctor is referring to. If it is a side effect, maybe you should ask your doctor about backing off on your dose slightly to see if it helps. Do you lose consciousness at all when the eye twitching starts? How often does it happen? How long does it last?

BTW, over time Dilantin can affect your gums, and also drain calcium from your bones. So it's not always the best choice for the longer term.

Best,
Nakamova

It depends, sometimes its a few seconds, sometimes it can be around 30 seconds. Sone are worse than others. I cover my eye when it happens because I feel like it helps. I have never passed out but sometimes it feels like I might. Sometimes I get a headache after it happens and tired. I'm always aware of what's going on though. The only part that scares me is whatever this eye jerk thing is, its the same thing that happened before my first seizure. I remember the eye twitching....then blacking out. My 2nd seizure happened while I was sleeping, but I woke up right before blacking out

Hmmm, then it does seem more likely to be seizure-related. Complex partial seizures can involve eye-fluttering and twitching. The fact that it happens when you are startled suggests that you may have reflex epilepsy -- seizures that can be provoked by dappled or flashing lights or sudden noises or movements. Ask your doctor to reconsider -- if he won't seek a second opinion. It may require an adjustment in dosage, or a different med to bring the eye twitching under control.

Back
Top Bottom